Quality based h264? (and:things are improving)

Help with Bluray Converter and Convert DVD to mp4 and other formats. strip Bluray, convert to Blu-ray or avchd, convert blu ray to mkv, avi, copy DVDs and much more.

Moderators: Maggie, alexia, Forum admin

sokristi

Quality based h264? (and:things are improving)

Post by sokristi »

I have tested latest beta briefly, and the audio sync problems I previously experienced with AVI files seem to have been minimised, at least with "high compatibility" set for audio.
Also made an MKV, can't get subtitles to display in MS media player (probably some codec or similar is not properly installed), in VSO media player subs display as black letters with green borders (this is latest version, previous version displayed black with blue borders). VLC showed subs properly, albeit a bit "rough on the edges", but that may be a problem with the specific movie or with VLC, I don't know. I am doing an encode of the same movie with BDtoAVCHD, just to see what happens.
Both encodes were BD, ripped with DVDFAB and converted to HD Ready CUDA. Yes, CUDA now seems to work (for AVI and MKV at least, haven't tested PS3), in stead of just halting with an error.

This brings me to my request/wish/question: Are you planning for a quality mode for h264 encodes? I'm not that concerned with file size, but I know from experience that a setting of around Q=20 or 19 usually is OK with me, so it would be great (at least for me) to use quality mode and be able to set it to my likings.

Seems to me that this software is now improving, and I'm pretty sure you it will end up being a very capable tool.

Regards
Søren
cedric
VSO Team Member

Re: Quality based h264? (and:things are improving)

Post by cedric »

Hi,

I think I will add more encoder settings when the next feature I'm working on (custom profiles) will be added.

I will expose some other codec specific settings for advanced users wanting to tune encoder.

Regards.
sokristi

Re: Quality based h264? (and:things are improving)

Post by sokristi »

Sounds great, thx!