VBR sound in AVI??

Help with Bluray Converter and Convert DVD to mp4 and other formats. strip Bluray, convert to Blu-ray or avchd, convert blu ray to mkv, avi, copy DVDs and much more.

Moderators: Maggie, alexia, Forum admin

sokristi

VBR sound in AVI??

Post by sokristi »

Hi
I am using both this DVD converter beta and the BluRAY Converter Ultimate, and I face the same issue with both applications:

The encoded audio (be it MP3 or whatever, I haven't checked thoroughly) is seemingly VBR or ABR, not CBR (constant bitrate). The .avi files created play fine on my PC, but unfortunately not on my DLNA enabled TV-box. This box plays most everything else I throw at it, e.g. the very same DVDs converted with FairUse or similar.

I have tested creating xVid encodes as well as all flavours of H264, but none of them play properly. Audio is way off, and video stutters or stops.

I can remedy this by reconverting with VirtualDub, streaming the video directly (i.e. not changing it) and re-encoding the sound to CBR MP3.
When starting VDUB reports VBR audio and claims that VBR is non-standard in AVI containers.

If it is really the case that VBR is non-standard in AVI containers, please fix those otherwise great applications so they use CBR audio.

Would it perhaps be an idea to offer other container formats, like MP4?

I would also like to see implented some kind of user adjustable profiles, for now I can only decide on file size, and I would much prefer to be able to select bitrate, quantiziser or similar to control quality.

Cheers!
cedric
VSO Team Member

Re: VBR sound in AVI??

Post by cedric »

Hi,

AVI container doesn't allow variable audio bitrate only with mp3 compression format.
Audio track with AC3 variable bitrate should not cause any problem.

Do you have another avi file (not converted by our product) with AC3 variable bitrate to test with your DLNA?

I'm waiting for your feedback...

EDIT : You can try to convert to mp4 container by using PS3 profiles.

Thanks!
sokristi

Post by sokristi »

I have already tried the PS3 conversion profiles but gave up on it, basically because it seems that no matter the settings it will produce files with a bit rate around 500k, which isn't exactly high quality :-). It may be that I'm doing something wrong here, in which case I would appreciate some guidance.

Kind regards
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

If you want more help, please check your private messages.

Thanks.