when do I use Blu-Ray Converter instead of ConvertXtoDVD

Help with Bluray Converter and Convert DVD to mp4 and other formats. strip Bluray, convert to Blu-ray or avchd, convert blu ray to mkv, avi, copy DVDs and much more.

Moderators: Maggie, alexia, Forum admin

raymondtrudeau

blu ray converter vs convertxtodvd ver 4

Post by raymondtrudeau »

if i have a blu ray movie on my hard drive now..what i do is use vso convertxtodvd ver 4.xx and convert it to a dvd....now will this new version do he same thing better? or does it just shrink it to a dvd 5 and can only play on a blu ray player? thanks
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

If you use ConvertXToDVD to convert you Blu-ray structure to DVD format, the problem you can have is with (not) finding the good M2TS file(s)...

The M2TS file size can be enought to find the main movie on some Blu-ray discs, but the most of recent Blu-ray structures are impossible to check without a good discriminator engine.

Our new Blu-ray Converter software integrate a powerfull discriminator engine able to decrypt the Blu-ray structure and remove not needed parts (like menus, advertisements...)
raymondtrudeau

Post by raymondtrudeau »

ok that sounds great but lets say i already have the m2ts file on my hared drive..will the blu ray converter still do a better job then convertxtodvd ver 4? i hope so
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Like Blu-ray Converter check all the the Blu-ray structure (not only the M2TS files), the Blu-ray index file is needed.

You can take your chance by sending the biggest M2TS file in ConvertXToDVD, but you can have some Audio/video sync issues, or you will have some missing parts in final DVD output...
smb4vso

Post by smb4vso »

Based on the original question, it does not sound it was answered. Which I got be...is the same or better quality (of the actual video output) as good or better using Blu-Ray to DVD as opposed to ConvertXtoDVD?

Though ConvertXtoDVD does as good a job as I've been able to find, the quality is never great. Using almost any of the filters, the results are blocky with at least some digital breakup in the low-light or back-lit scenes (that would be harder than normal to render). Add to that quite a bit of interlacing artifacts. Far more than in the corresponding DVD. None of which exist with the Blu-Ray. No do they exist in a compressed AVCHD version that will fit on a DVD5. But they abound in the output from ConvertXtoDVD. Not sure, but I think it's the convert to Interlaced that causes these problems.

So the questions remains, for someone like myself, (that ONLY ever copies the main film using a single M2TS file that contains the FULL film), are there any quality of conversion advantages to the Blu-Ray to DVD product?
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hi,

Like Blu-ray to DVD & ConvertXToDVD use the same main DVD encoder, you can keep ConvertXToDVD for your use.

But like I said, all future Blu-ray structures will need the use of an HD parser, main movie will be splited into a lot of M2TS files (and should be reordered)

Thanks.