Sound Normalizing bug with 2 tracks?

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

legion

Sound Normalizing bug with 2 tracks?

Post by legion »

Using the latest ConvertXtoDVD I think I discovered an audio bug. The default for normalizing is -3db. I had 2 tracks, a 5.1 at 640kbps and a standard 2.0 channel at 192kbps, both Dolby. I tested for normalizing pre encoding and it found a gain of 1.5db with the 5.1 and 1.3db with the latter. I decided to change this as the 5.1 for me was too quiet in loudness terms anyway.

I adjusted the default from -3db to -1db, so that pre encoding normalizing gave me a gain of + 3.5db. With my second 2.0 track I opted for no audio change as it was loud enough. I started encoding but everything froze with the normalizing. I narrowed this down to having the option normalizing at the start of an encoding ticked. Unticking it(which is VSO default) causes the program to work as it should and showing a normal log details of +3.5db gain applied to the 1st default 5.1 track.

Interestingly if the default settings of -3db is kept and the gain found in terms of both tracks is applied(in my case 1.5db & 1.3db) along with the option normalizing at the start of an encoding, the program works fine. The bug? or problem arises from changing the default and adjusting or not adjusting 1 or more tracks with gain only and enabling the option of normalizing at the start of an encoding. I tested this 3 times to confirm in both XP and Win7. All log showed was system details etc as all the program does is freeze!

As a further test I encoded just the second track with no normalization as before and it was noticeably quieter than the previous encoding test. I surmise that despite setting a 1st track to have some gain and having no gain set for the 2nd one, that the encoding process does in fact still apply the gain to both tracks.
Maggie
VSO Team Member

Re: Sound Normalizing bug with 2 tracks?

Post by Maggie »

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay, we've been a bit busy lately.
Could you please try if it's still occurring on our last beta version: http://download.vso-software.fr/archive ... 0.0.66.exe
(check all three cleaning options during install to have a fresh/clean result)

Cheers!
Maggie,
VSO Support