Love Video Converter - Found a couple of problems

Free video converter, convert from any format to any format, mkv to avi, m2ts to avi, mp4, h264, mts, wmv, mov, DVD, etc.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

skoenig1

Love Video Converter - Found a couple of problems

Post by skoenig1 »

Love the video converter...I loved ConvertXtoDVD before too!

Setup
Video Converter 1.1.0.30, W7 x64, 16 GB Ram, GTX 760 (4GB), i7-2600K

Usage
I'm using Video Converter to build a few 50GB Blu-Rays that have several films so the kids can watch them in the car - the car has a BR player linked to two screens - in the back of the car. The idea is to put 20 movies in SD on the discs since the screens are only about 720 wide anyway.

I setup VC to use the new 576p profiles that Cedric added (thanks!) and told it I have a 50GB disc 46000 useable. Then added all the movies until the quality got to about 55-60%.

I selected the Black Mirror template cos I liked that from ConvertX!

1. Out Of Memory
4 hours later i got an out of memory. Boo Hoo! Here's the screen shot and log files

2. Files too big
I tried a second time as I noticed it had died during menu creation for some files so this time I picked Classic Template since this didn't do chapters which was fine by my kids!

It worked! But unfortunately when it had finished I had 78GB worth of really good quality video in the folder. I had set the target size @ BD-50 (46000MB) but I did notice the Single File Output was set to No Size Limit, Use Quality Factor though I didn't think that had any impact on this multi-file project. Let me know if I'm wrong though!

I'm sure I'm asking too much of the profile and I should simply try with less files...in which case it's maybe a bug with the quality Meter and size preview code....

Can you see if I'm doing anything wrong via the log on that second attempt? I can notch it down to 480p of course but the quality of the files was so good I imagine I can keep the resolution so there's upscaling in the car (I'm sure the h/w is pretty bad in the car) but turn down the quality factor...

Feature Request 1: Quick Sync Please!
Lastly, a humble request for Intel Quick Sync support! I've used quick sync via other software on my notebook (Handbrake) and the results are extremely good and about 40% quicker than CUDA on this desktop (I know it's not a very useful comparison). I've been able to use lesser software than yours to compress on this desktop via both Quick Sync and CUDA simultaneously and that has also been very useful since I backup all the DVD/BRs I buy in batches (kids very frequently scratch them or leave them in a way where they scratch easily).

Feature Request 2: Option to use file cover art if found
It would be great to use the file cover art as the file image in the menu. My mp4 and some mkv have cover art built in - I use MetaX to set it

Feature Request 3: Set the offset from which to generate the clip
Either globally or per file... This would mean the clips could be of meaningful bits of each movie... such as after the various studio logos or of someone face in a home made clip... I'd be happy to set it globally to start 1-2 mins into the clip...

Anyway hope this helps make the product even better!

Regards

Steph
Attachments
vsoonvert-filesize - 1_mainlog_.20140306.192915.726.log
File Size Discrepancy Log File
(95.45 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
File size discrepancy between VC and final...
File size discrepancy between VC and final...
vso-convert-memory - 1_crashlog_.20140305.224815.335.log
Log of out of memory
(52.42 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
Screen shot of out of memory
Screen shot of out of memory
Claire
VSO Team Member

Re: Love Video Converter - Found a couple of problems

Post by Claire »

Hi Steph,

Thanks for such a detailed report - very helpful.

1) can you try without "use hardware decoding" and see if it happens - or maybe this was random as you seemed to complete a conversion as you submitted the 2nd bug.

2) I entered this problem as an official bug, someone else also reported the problem http://bugs.vso-software.fr/view.php?id=7640, you are not doing anything wrong, your settings are correct.

As for the feature requests
1) for Intel Quick Sync I've entered it as a feature request here but I no idea if it can be added or how soon: http://bugs.vso-software.fr/view.php?id=7641

2) Should I take this to mean you want to edit the menus or you want the cover to be found and used automatically if available? In the settings, there is the option under Bluray /AVCHD output - menu template "use BD cover as background (when available)" so this should be working.
To know if there is a bug or if your Blu-rays do have covers, you can find it in their structure here \BDMV\META\DL. We are not loading the covers however if the Blu-ray is in an ISO format but this will be corrected.

3) This I think can be easily done, I've entered a feature request for it
http://bugs.vso-software.fr/view.php?id=7642
skoenig1

Post by skoenig1 »

Thanks for the reply!

1. Will try over the weekend though I think it was a one off, could have been caused by me doing something on the computer ... the second time completed, the only change being to use of template that didn't create chapter menus.

2. OK good to know, good luck finding it!

Feature Requests
1. I understand! If it helps a lot of people now have these newer CPUs especially on notebooks where dedicated GPUS are less common and although they're not top end for games it make a huge difference for this kind of work. The open source Handbrake (nightly builds) have support for Quick Sync so if Cedric or the others need to see working samples they can grab it from there... it won't let me post links so Google will do just fine I'm sure.

2. I mean where source files such as MP4 and MKV have covers available in their structure (see pic) I'd love the option to be able to use these instead of the animated thumbs within the disc menus - even if they get cropped a bit.

3. Great! That would be handy... the most recent disc has menus which are all the same studio intro for example which isn't very visually useful!

~Steph
Attachments
Covers on source media (MP4 and MKV)
Covers on source media (MP4 and MKV)
skoenig1

Post by skoenig1 »

I retried a similar, large volume project this morning.

It did run out of memory (or at least it said it did after something wrong). In this project I put some cartoons in the project - about 20 hours worth to go at 480p.

It got about half way through the conversion then in short succession many suddenly reported an error, VC continued for a bit then died.

I reran the encode and it died in the same way though at a different point.

Happy to do more tests, I have a ok rig and I'm used to these sorts of challenges.

Screen shots and log below.
Attachments
outofmem.log
Log file from that project
(97.52 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Out of memory with task manager memory tab open
Out of memory with task manager memory tab open
Out of memory with task manager open
Out of memory with task manager open
skoenig1

Post by skoenig1 »

OOO ran it again...

Died at a slightly different point (a few files earlier)...Access violation @ 00669F05 using verson 30b

~Steph
Attachments
VSO Video Converter 1_crashlog_.20140310.160915.728.log
(54.5 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
outofmem3.jpg
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

Hello,

I suggested you uncheck "use hardware decoding", have you?

As for feature request 2, covers for menus, this should be possible a feature request was opened
http://bugs.vso-software.fr/view.php?id=7645
skoenig1

Post by skoenig1 »

That worked!

With software decoding the test project completed just fine with no out of memory issues.

I also noticed the files nearly fit (I had to delete one or two but its was nearly there). I"ll try the same with the movies disc I had tried to make in the original post to see if it helps the file size/ bit rate issue.

[update] it didn't help with the file over size issue mentioned above...

~Steph
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

Thanks for the update. Yes I think the overflow problem is independent, it will be fixed in the next version.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

Hello,

Here is the new beta version
http://forums.vso-software.fr/latest-be ... 17957.html

Normally it corrects the "files too big" / oversize / target size not resepected problem.

It would be nice if you could confirm it does fix the problem for you.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

this new beta also should use the video segment at the 2min marker for the menu thumbnail rather than 00.

Can you tell us if this new adjustment is working well for you?
skoenig1

Post by skoenig1 »

I got it last night... Cedric has been very busy...

- The video segment works really well, now the multi title disc has really useful clips for each clip!

- The file size now fits for a really full disc... in fact there's about 5 GB free on a really full disc!

- No memory issues were encountered when rendering the content. Yea!

- Much faster loading the titles into the UI too...

I have a small buglet but I'll make a proper thread for it.

Thanks for all the hard work!
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

thanks for your great feedback. And thanks for opening a new thread ;)
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

support for Intel Quick Sync has been added in 1.5.0.2
http://forums.vso-software.fr/latest-beta-t18294.html