forced subtitles not working

Help with Bluray Converter and Convert DVD to mp4 and other formats. strip Bluray, convert to Blu-ray or avchd, convert blu ray to mkv, avi, copy DVDs and much more.

Moderators: Maggie, alexia, Forum admin

vbritt

forced subtitles not working

Post by vbritt »

How do you get DVD Converter to display forced subtitles when converting a DVD to a AVI file. When I select the option to display forced subtitles it appears like it turns on English subtitles even when the language in the film is English. I have experimented with all of the subtitle options and I have not stumbled across the correct combination to do what I want to do. I would appreciate someone taking the time to help me out with this frustrating problem. I experience the same behavior when using the Blu-Ray converter as well. I am starting to think that either I am doing something wrong or the option doesn't work properly.

Has anyone else managed to successfully convert a DVD with forced subtitles?
Claire
VSO Team Member

Re: I give up

Post by Claire »

Hello,

AVI output hard codes the subtitles into the video stream. If you select forced subtitles then they will be hard coded into the video file. However you cannot have and a subtitle language file and forced subtitles only one or the other.

To know more about your problem, what movie are you testing with?
vbritt

Post by vbritt »

To know more about your problem, what movie are you testing with?

I am attempting to convert Assassination Games which has a series of forced subtitles in English. I tried using the advanced settings selecting the option to add an additional subtitle track with forced subtitles with English as the forced subtitle language. Then on the regular screen I have tried it with the english subtitle option specified and then again with it not selected. I thought I had stumbled upon the correct selections once but my choices didn't work then either. I have also looked at the online user's guide and it wasn't really helpful at all.

Should the preview screen display the forced subtitles when the conversion process running?
flogger123

Post by flogger123 »

Hi vbritt, Got any luck on this one yet?
vbritt

Post by vbritt »

flogger123 wrote:Hi vbritt, Got any luck on this one yet?
No, I didn't get any help solving this problem from VSO. I ended up using a program called Handbrake which copied the movie and the forced subtitles without any problems at all. You would think that software you purchase would be able to do the same thing that free software can do, but I guess that isn't the case. I have given up on VSO and both their DVD Converter and Blu-ray Converter Ultimate applications. Handbrake has a little bit of a learning curve but it works and there are tutorials available online.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

Should the preview screen display the forced subtitles when the conversion process running?
Yes
No, I didn't get any help solving this problem from VSO.
Have you only posted your problem in the forum?
vbritt

Post by vbritt »

Claire wrote:
Yes
No, I didn't get any help solving this problem from VSO.
Have you only posted your problem in the forum?
Yes, posting on the forum is all that I have done.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

Hello,

For direct help from VSO on any problem please contact us via our technical support.

The forum is a great place for help, but does no guarantee VSO staff will help you here. It is a place for users of the product to discuss various information about our products.

Forced subtitles have worked for me in Blu-ray disk without a problem at least for the films I have tried. I don't think I personally have tested DVD forced subtitles, but I see what I can test.

I will investigate further, but can you tell me what version you were using?
vbritt

Post by vbritt »

Claire wrote:
Forced subtitles have worked for me in Blu-ray disk without a problem at least for the films I have tried. I don't think I personally have tested DVD forced subtitles, but I see what I can test.

I will investigate further, but can you tell me what version you were using?
I was using DVD Converter Ultimate Version 1.4.0.8 and I was attempting to copy Assassination Games. I had chosen the generic video low resolution (XVID) avi output selection and tried every combination of subtitle options to no avail. Can you direct me to a tutorial that contains the options that need to be set to copy forced subtitles? The tutorial for DVD Converter just gives you the basics for creating a copy and does not provide any detail about forced subtitles.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

Yes you are right the guide does not include info about forced subtitles, but it will be updated with version 2 will be released (the next version that will be public).
In face we might change the location of where forced subtitles are found as I agree it is not that logical.

As to the problem with the forced subtitles in Assassination Games, it could be a bug but I need to get a DVD to test with.

I think you have found this already but in the settings under the "Video processing" tab you check "Add an additional subtitle track with forced subtitles" and select the language. Now in the main interface make sure not subtitle is selected and convert. Unless there is a bug in the application you should see your forced subtitles in the AVI file (they are incrusted in the video).

On https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... l=en#gid=0
it says the forced subtitles show about "2 minutes in for about 5 minutes". Do you confirm?

To see if we are detecting correctly the forced subtitle track in Assassination Games, I suggest downloading VSO Media Player (free) and playing the DVD. Does it display the corresponding subtitles? It should display them as far as I understand without using the right click display xx subtitle stream. If it does not work in VMP then it will not work in DVD Converter, but if it works in VMP the fix should be easy in DVD Converter.
vbritt

Post by vbritt »

Claire wrote:As to the problem with the forced subtitles in Assassination Games, it could be a bug but I need to get a DVD to test with.

I think you have found this already but in the settings under the "Video processing" tab you check "Add an additional subtitle track with forced subtitles" and select the language. Now in the main interface make sure not subtitle is selected and convert. Unless there is a bug in the application you should see your forced subtitles in the AVI file (they are incrusted in the video).

On https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... l=en#gid=0
it says the forced subtitles show about "2 minutes in for about 5 minutes". Do you confirm?

To see if we are detecting correctly the forced subtitle track in Assassination Games, I suggest downloading VSO Media Player (free) and playing the DVD. Does it display the corresponding subtitles? It should display them as far as I understand without using the right click display xx subtitle stream. If it does not work in VMP then it will not work in DVD Converter, but if it works in VMP the fix should be easy in DVD Converter.
Yes, the forced subtitles in Assassination Games are about 2 minutes in and lasts for about 5 minutes or so. Now for the bad news, the subtitles do not appear when I am playing the disc using VSO Media Player.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

ok thanks for your tests. I will see what I can find out and get corrected.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

A developer tested here and DVD forced subtitles are not currently handled (only Blu-ray forced subtitles).

They should be supported in the next official major version.

We appreciate your report.

I've edited the title of this post to be in relation with the problem. I hope you don't mine.
cedric
VSO Team Member

Re: forced subtitles not working

Post by cedric »

Hi,

Can you confirm the problem with forced DVD subtitles is fixed in 2.0.0.10 version?

Thanks you.