Feature request: HEVC support

Free video converter, convert from any format to any format, mkv to avi, m2ts to avi, mp4, h264, mts, wmv, mov, DVD, etc.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

Wout000

Feature request: HEVC support

Post by Wout000 »

I would like to request HEVC support. It's basically the successor to h.264 with the HEVC codec being H.265.
Promises half the size at the same quality.

I have some files encoded with the h.265 codec and when i try to convert them to MP4 (H.264) VSO Video Converter doesn't recognize them. It gives an error saying no valid video stream was found.

https://www.vcodex.com/h265.html
cedric
VSO Team Member

Re: Feature request: HEVC support

Post by cedric »

Hello Wout000,

H265 decoding/encoding is in our task list.
"Promises half the size at the same quality": right, but can take 3/4x more time than H264 encoding...
In our time I think that users want retrieve an encoded file promptly, when storage space is no longer a problem.

Regards,
Wout000

Post by Wout000 »

Hello Cedric.

I agree that it does take more computing power and thus a longer time in order to get the file encoded; subsequently storage space is also not a factor anymore these days as is bandwidth.
It is a superior codec though and no doubt in my mind that this will eventually become the next standard and the successor of H.264 in due time.

Also because it's relatively new, I haven't seen thorough optimization protocols yet for the codec as the ones that exist for H.264. I am sure that once the codec becomes standard several hardware and software optimizations will become available both reducing the encoding time and computing power needed.
I'm fairly confident the early usage of this new codec will be primarily as a streaming standard or video chat standard but wide adoption will see this being used everywhere.

It could be a big boost to the program as it would be one of the few supporting this new codec and one of the few that is actually easy to use.
Also VSO VC uses ffmpeg which basically already supports decoding HEVC in their latest version 2.1
Djard

Post by Djard »

In the meantime, convert the file to MP4 with an app like XMediaRecode then convert to DVD for burning with ConvertX. Don't convert to AVI as too much video quality will be lost. Hope this helps.
simonbromilow

Post by simonbromilow »

I would also like to see this feature for de-coding out of h.265 and into another format. If the feature exists or not for this purpose but i am stuck with buying gold membership for now unless it's implemented :mrgreen: