Why is ConvertX trying to "phone home"?

discussions about ConvertXtoDVD latest versions, avi to dvd video converter software, burns videos from your PC to watch on your DVD with menus and subtitles.

Moderators: VSO Support, Cougar_II, JJ, ckhouston, Forum admin

Why is ConvertX trying to "phone home"?

Postby Grand Mal » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:06 pm

I remember asking this question way back in the old forum, but as far as i can recall no satisfying answer was produced.

I´ve been using ConvertX for a pretty long time now, most of the time really satisfied with it and there´s almost never any problems. But......even if i untick VSO softwares request for burning statistics and also denying the automatic update function, ConvertX is still trying to "phone home" every time a new burn is started.

Personally i really hate when programs for no obvious reason wants to contact "home" even if its not needed, but i can live with it if it is neccessary for software to function properly. That is of course not the case with ConvertX. So why´s that? What kind of data is sent? Is it burn statistics? But i´ve unticked that "feature. Is is automatic updates? But i´ve unticked that feature too.....Please provide an honest answer to this question, i´m sure we all wants to know whats going on behind our backs.
Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600 2.4GHz 8MB FSB1066 Stock cooling, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (rev 2.0) Intel P35 motherboard, A-DATA 4x1024MB DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz, 650w PSU, Gigabyte Geforce 8800GT 512 mb, 500+250 gb SATA2 discs+200 gb PATA disc, NEC 3540A DVD Burner
Grand Mal

Postby Cougar_II » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi,

Here are thing I know it will send to VSO or why it's contacting VSO.

1) It will check for updates (If Enabled)

2) If burn statistics are enabled, all it will send is your drive model and media ID that it was successfull.

Other than that, I don't see other reasons why VSO would phone home.
VSO Software Golden Membership Proud Owner / VSO Software Beta Tester
Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Postby hansK » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi,

1) It will check for updates (If Enabled)

1) Done when prgram gets loaded (first 20 seconds, just after templates are loaded.)

2) If burn statistics are enabled, all it will send is your drive model and media ID that it was successfull.

2) Done when burning has finished, before burning makes no sense.

Regards,
hansK
Where to edit : Go to top of this forum page, 3rd line, 3rd (middle) option (Profile).
hansK
VSO Fanatic

Postby Bags » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:24 pm

I wish they would stop all this updating bullshit on CopytoDVD and CXDVD

It is intensely irritating .. especially when there are better components to work on/develop.

Just block it in the firewall .. like everyone else![/b]
Bags

Return to ConvertXtoDVD old version 3.x