Downloader Issue with v6.0.0.113

download audio/video streaming

Moderators: Maggie, JJ, alexia, LouisM, Forum admin

achugh

Downloader Issue with v6.0.0.113

Post by achugh »

Dear Support,

If you go to https://www.pssummit.com/beginners?r_done=1 which is public till 27-October-2023, the VSO Downloader correctly detects all the videos on this page once the page is loaded.

When any video is downloaded, it downloads the video file correctly but the downloaded file has NO AUDIO in it.

Before this page becomes hidden, can someone take a look as to why the VIMEO player based downloads are not supported by VSO Downloader and get a fix created for it?

Best regards,
achugh
achugh

Re: Downloader Issue with v6.0.0.113

Post by achugh »

Upon further analysis it seems that the audio is downloaded and embedded inside the video. It is just that the Windows Media Player is not able to play this audio as the audio is encoded with OPUS codec. Opening this file in Google Chrome does play the audio correct like it is playing in the browser.

In the VSO Downloader interface, we do get to choose the Video Quality, Subtitles and the output file type. It will be great if AUDIO streams are also listed as a selection to chose along with their CODEC when available as an enhancement.

For some reason, VSO Downloader is giving preference to OPUS stream instead of "mp4a.40.2" codec even though the resulting file being saved is MP4. The "mp4a.40.2" codec is also having the highest bitrate but it selects a slightly lower bitrate with OPUS codec. Is it possible to specify which AUDIO stream to use for downloading?

Best Regards,
achugh
Katia

Post by Katia »

Hello,

Files are downloaded with their original format and codecs, as they are stored on the website.
Subtitles are available if the video contains them, resolutions are available if the website proposes several resolutions of the video.

After downloading, our conversion engine allows to change the format (mp4, mkv, mov, mp3) but keeping the same video and audio codecs, in your case - AVC and Opus. Opus is frequently used for files intended to be put on the internet.
I will see with our developer if we can add the function of changing the codec during conversion, I will leave him the feature request.

You can use VLC player for viewing your files, it supports almost any format/codec. I could watch the videos downloaded from your link with VLC.
Also, you can use our ConvertXtoVideo to convert your files in any fomat/codec: https://www.vso-software.fr/products/vi ... -video.php
VSO Support Team
achugh

Post by achugh »

Hi Katia,

Thank you for looking into my request. Yes, I agree the files are downloaded in their original format and that is what I love and like about the process. I am requesting that the user is given an option to chose when multiple options are available and the DEFAULT should always be the HIGHEST quality for both VIDEO and AUDIO. Right now the default for VIDEO is good but the default for AUDIO is BAD. Higher bit rate audio with better quality is available as original audio but the tool is NOT SELECTING this audio stream. On top of it, there is NO OPTION given to the end user to select an Audio stream. This makes for a very difficult option for the end user.

FYI, I never convert my files and I am NOT requesting the audio to be converted. I believe you misunderstood my request. I am simply requesting that the AUDIO default is BAD as the highest Audio Bit-Rate is NOT SELECTED.

I hope I am clear and your developer understand what I am trying to convey here.

Best regards,
achugh
Jaze87

Post by Jaze87 »

Hello,

It's essential that users have control over the quality of the audio, especially when there are several options available. Have you also considered sharing this development feedback on Twitter? This could help draw their attention to the issue and perhaps see improvements in future updates. Social networks are often a great way of communicating directly with developers and getting users' needs heard.
Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Post by Cougar_II »

Hello,

I am an end user and do not work for VSO.

But here is what I personally know and what I have asked in the past....

In the future, VSO will update Downloader to have more convertion options and audio selectors.

I have the same issue, file ends up with AV1 and OPUS Audio, and playing those videos on my TV using Plex Server just won't work whatever I tried...

For now, I use VSO UHD Converter and force the output to be 1080p / H264 / AC3 Audio which is 100% supported by my TV.

Keep in mind, VSO doesn't have a team of 20 developpers, they have 1 coder, why things do take time :oops:

But let's wait and see what VSO Downloader holds for us ;)

Meanwhile, as Katia mentioned, use VLC Player if playing on the computer, I suggest youuse VSO UHD Converter to convert to 1080p / H264 / AC3 Audio using the More Compatible Profile (Yes, UHD Converter will also be updated in the future with more options, custom settings etc...)
We just need to be patient, but we have solutions, why I still use only VSO software to download and convert ;)

Note: achugh based on your comment earlier, that it does not select the highest audio stream, from what I was explained once by the developper, when a file has multiple stream for Audio and Video (Specially from Youtube) they do the best video then merge the best audio with it.
So not 100% what issue you are having. Again let's give a chance to VSO to enhance those amazing software for us :)
VSO Software Golden Membership Proud Owner / VSO Software Beta Tester