Green bars on preview and output

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

dbminter

Green bars on preview and output

Post by dbminter »

I've got a file that is causing issues with CXD. When Previewed or viewing CXD's output of this file, there are green bars on the far right side. If you play the file in Media Player Classic Home Cinema, the bars are not present.

I've isolated a brief clip from the source file for anyone who wants to test it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16hVQDr ... sp=sharing

Converting the file to another format or converting the video codecs to something like x264 doesn't fix the issue. Thanks!
Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Re: Green bars on preview and output

Post by Cougar_II »

Hi,

https://bugs.vso-software.fr/view.php?id=13879

There is an open bug report regarding those green lines, which seems to be same issues that you are seeing…

In the comments, I posted this :)

Comments from the forum:

viewtopic.php?p=108539#p108539

Re: Playing Preview Results in Green in Bottom Half of Preview Screen
Edit Delete Report Warn Information Quote
Post by Nanook1963 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:48 pm

PROBLEM SOLVED:

-I tried disabling 2-pass encoding with no change in results.
-I tried installing the KLiteCodec (as recommended)

Then I just reset ConvertXtoDVD 7 to factory defaults and tried decoding...no green pattern on preview screen.
So, I started to add 2-pass encoding...then using highest quality settings to see if I could reproduce the problem...no green pattern on preview screen.

THEN, I enabled Hardware Acceleration through my AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT card and what-do-you-know...I got the green pattern on the preview screen. This problem only seems to happen on certain types of movie file formats...it seems to be black and white older movies...never had a problem with color newer movies...weird. Must be a driver problem with my card or an anomaly with the RX5700XT under Windows 11 22H2.

So, if I preview a movie from now on, if I get the problem...I just disable the Hardware Acceleration.

Thank you to all who offered their advice on this subject
VSO Software Golden Membership Proud Owner / VSO Software Beta Tester
Katia

Post by Katia »

Hello. It is a known issue, it's quite technical to explain, in gross - the videos which have green bars after conversion didn't have the divisible by 4 number of pixels. So the program has to add more pixels to obtain a divisible number, and these new pixels are green (particularity of colometry).

To remove the green bars you can pad/crop the video before conversion. It can be done in the "output" tab under the preview window. You need to choose "user defined" fit method.
2023-09-28_10-46-04.png
Padding and cropping can be applied vertically or horizontally, depending on where you have your green bars.
Padding change the number of pixels by adding black bars instead of green pixels, cropping cuts some pixels to reduce the number of pixels. You can play with two features to find the optimal result.
VSO Support Team
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

I already had 2 pass encoding disabled. Years ago, I discovered if 2 pass encoding was enabled, green video was even worse! On some videos, the CXD output would be 30 seconds of solid green with no audio at the beginning. Then, the output would resume playback at the 30 second point with the previous half minute missing. So, I disabled 2 pass encoding years ago.

However, I did have hardware acceleration enabled. So, I disabled that. Sure enough :) the green bars disappeared.

Thanks for that tip!