CUDA performance

Help with Bluray Converter and Convert DVD to mp4 and other formats. strip Bluray, convert to Blu-ray or avchd, convert blu ray to mkv, avi, copy DVDs and much more.

Moderators: Maggie, alexia, Forum admin

eTiMaGo

CUDA performance

Post by eTiMaGo »

Hello,

Big fan of your software, I've tested a lot of BD/DVD to MKV converters and only VSO's does exactly what I need.

Anyway I have a question about the hardware encoding... What effect does higher-end hardware have on conversion speed? Right now I am using a relatively low-end GT640 card, but I see that fancier ones with "Kepler" chips have a dedicated encoder (NVENC). Would there be any performance advantage to using such a card? What about 2 cards in SLI?
chabba

Re: CUDA performance

Post by chabba »

I don't know how fast your GPU is, but I have a GTX 670 with NVENC and reach conversion speeds between 35 and 95 fps while using CUDA. Can't say why the difference is so high, but some movies 'only' ran at 35 fps (Iron Man), others perform really well (Cloud Atlas, Lorax). For comparison my CPU (i7 2700k @stock) only gets 7-9 fps. All values are for HQ-profile 1080p and mkv.
eTiMaGo

Post by eTiMaGo »

OK, thanks... Right now I have a GTX640 but I might borrow a friend's GTX660 to see if it makes any difference...
eTiMaGo

Post by eTiMaGo »

OK, some interesting results.. all at 1080p MKV conversion, 8000kbps video

My GTX640: 35fps
Friend's GTX660Ti: 80fps

So I can assume this NVENC system is being used... Now to try with a 680 :D