DVDs only partly filled won't play

bluray player, video player, audio player, free video player, free media player

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, alexia, Forum admin

ckhouston
VSO Fanatic

DVDs only partly filled won't play

Post by ckhouston »

Anyone else having this problem? It gives a message that no valid video media is found.

I wonder if it is a 1 GB restriction on total file size on the DVD. Anyway, it restricts using test DVDs with short files used to test for conversion problems for example.
felicia
VSO Team Member

Re: DVDs only partly filled won't play

Post by felicia »

Hi,

We use a tool to analyse DVDs & Blu-rays, for this it to work we have to ignore any video under 30 seconds, so if all your videos are under that limit none will be played.

Felicià
ckhouston
VSO Fanatic

Post by ckhouston »

One DVD I tried had 3 titles, all of them 5 minutes long. Those titles were conversions in CX2D of videos of unchanging static scenes like you get in a slideshow with each slide shown for 5 minutes. It was created to quickly test for menu problems and the total size of the DVD was only 158 MB so maybe there is a size restriction too.

The first error window said "Sorry, no titles were found in E:\VIDEO_TS\" followed by another that said "No playable media found in selection".
ckhouston
VSO Fanatic

Post by ckhouston »

It evidently ignores video files less than 30 seconds or less than a certain file size. I noticed it turned the line "Looking for features" orange while parsing my disc with static scenery videos maybe because of their file size. So I ran another test with a single 1 minute normal scenery video and it had no problem. The original static scenery videos will play without a problem despite their low file size, but not when converted to DVD.

It appears to be a feature designed to eliminate warning screens which most users will appreciate. I will adapt by remembering to not use static scenery videos.
ckhouston
VSO Fanatic

Post by ckhouston »

Turns out I won't use this player after all because of this feature of ignoring titles with small file sizes.

I do a lot of DVDs that combine photo slide shows and short video clips as separate titles where the slight pause between titles played consecutively serves as a transition between titles. This program ignores slideshows that are 1 1/2 minutes long and have a 11 MB size.