Removing black bars issue

Free video converter, convert from any format to any format, mkv to avi, m2ts to avi, mp4, h264, mts, wmv, mov, DVD, etc.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

skypilotpete

Removing black bars issue

Post by skypilotpete »

I have a DVD, aspect ratio 16:9, which has black bars at the top, bottom and sides. I want to remove these bars without changing anything else about the appearance of the movie. I thought this would be relatively straight forward, but I can't get it to work. I am using ConvertXtoVideo Ultimate 2.0.0.44. (Windows 7 64).
I have selected the profile MKV (H264+AAC).
I select Advanced Editing - Resize Filter - Linear (VS0)
For the Fit Method I have tried all the various options.
I then click the "Remove Black Bars" button, and convert the movie.

However, the movie that is created has a completely different aspect ratio than the original. This is very obvious from simply watching the two versions, as the file produced by ConvertXtoVideo looks badly distorted. I have also compared them side by side by taking screenshots from each at the same point in the movie, and looking at them in Photoshop. For example, if I open the screenshot taken while playing the DVD and crop the black bars, the height of the remaining image is 363 pixels. The height of the MKV screenshot, with no black bars and exactly the same picture, is only 312 pixels. For some reason, ConvertXtoVideo has changed the aspect ratio of the movie.

When I play around with the various fit methods, and increase or decrease the pad/crop values, I can see in the preview screen that what is changing is the size of the main part of the movie, as well as the size of the borders to be removed. As I increase/decrease the pad/crop values, I can see the movie image distorting as it gets bigger or smaller. I find this really strange, as my understanding of "cropping" is that it removes selected pixels while leaving the remaining part of the image untouched - just as if you had a piece of paper, and used scissors to snip off the edges, without changing in any way the picture that remains.

I hope that I have simply missed or misunderstood something. Can someone please let me know if there is a way of simply removing the black bars, top and bottom, as well as adjusting the size of the bars to be removed. I need what remains after cropping to be exactly the same as the original movie, except that the black bars have been trimmed off.
cedric
VSO Team Member

Re: Removing black bars issue

Post by cedric »

Hello,

You didn't missed or misunderstood something, this is a bug...
I reproduced then fixed this problem, a beta version will be out in next hour.

Thank you for your report!

Regards,
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

New beta version is out: http://forums.vso-software.fr/convertxt ... 18977.html

I'm waiting for your feedback...

Regards,
cedric
VSO Team Member