Default Subtitle Issue (Again)

Free video converter, convert from any format to any format, mkv to avi, m2ts to avi, mp4, h264, mts, wmv, mov, DVD, etc.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

Beats

Default Subtitle Issue (Again)

Post by Beats »

I'm going out of my mind here...

I have a .mkv video which I am converting to NTSC DVD. When you open the .MKV file in VLC media player it contains one subtitle file which plays automatically that is the forced English bits in the video. This subtitle plays on its own, you don't need to select it. I then went and downloaded another subtitle in the .SRT format that would provide subtitles for the entire video.

I am trying to burn the .MKV to DVD with the forced subtitles that came with the video as default and the .SRT file that I downloaded turned off. When I open Convert XtoVideo I see the two Subtitles, I set the first one as default by right clicking on the subtitle and burn the movie... Yet when the disc comes out the forced sub file is not set as default.. Both subtitles are there but the one I set to default is not burned as default for some reason.

Then I burnt the video without setting the forced sub to default thinking that since it comes up automatically in the .MKV file that maybe my making it default in the burn is somehow un-selecting it instead of selecting it... if that makes any sense.. But I get the same result.

I then tried setting the subtitle as default and converting it to x264 .MKV which I would later burn to DVD. When I do this the subtitle comes up as default as I want it. YET, when I burn this file to DVD the sub is not default still.. I don't get it.

I've wasted about 12 discs on this now and 2 whole evenings. I'm clearly missing something. I just can't make the subtitle default. My selecting it as default doesn't seem to make any difference. My guess is it's something to do with the sub being attahed to the .MKV file. I'm thinking I will probably have to just not use the forced English sub from the .MKV and find one in the .SRT format.
Beats

Re: Default Subtitle Issue (Again)

Post by Beats »

I've gotten a hold of a different version of this video that doesn't have any subs included in the .MKV file. Instead it has the forced subs as a .SRT file which is what I seem to prefer. Set it all up to convert to DVD with the .SRT set as default sub and it burns to disc with the sub included but NOT set to default.. I gotta figure that this is some sort of bug with this version of the program that you currently can't set subs to default to play automatically. I've wasted close to 20 discs on this now trying everything I can think of and never does the subtitle get set to default on the burn.
Beats

Post by Beats »

Well, I'm still not really understanding this but I got a decent result by following the advise in this thread :
http://forums.vso-software.fr/forced-su ... 18378.html

I ended up creating a custom profile NTSC DVD and embedding the .MKV subtitle and hardcoding the foreign parts into the video. All is good but the only downside is that for some reason I couldn't add my .SRT English subtitle. It would only allow one sub to be checked. Is there a way to both embed a foreign sub and have a soft sub added on the same burn? I'd like to have the foreign parts hardcoded in (which I seem to have accomplished) and have a second English sub (.srt file) that is turned off by default.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

Glad to hear you managed to make some progress.

I can only see this possible if you convert the file again. (for a total of 2 conversions)
Maybe do you first initial conversion to AVI h264 for example
Then convert to DVD but with the srt file added
Beats

Post by Beats »

While I have somewhat sorted this issue on my own .. I can't help but feel It's kind of sad that it takes a paying customer over 7 weeks to get a response from the company on their own forums...
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

How did you check for that subtitle being default?
Playing on DVD player and it did not show subtitles?
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

Beats wrote:While I have somewhat sorted this issue on my own .. I can't help but feel It's kind of sad that it takes a paying customer over 7 weeks to get a response from the company on their own forums...
The forums are community boards for users to help each other out. If you want help from VSO write to us directly:
https://www.vso-software.fr/support.php