BR converts to DVD with bitrate too low

Help with Bluray Converter and Convert DVD to mp4 and other formats. strip Bluray, convert to Blu-ray or avchd, convert blu ray to mkv, avi, copy DVDs and much more.

Moderators: Maggie, alexia, Forum admin

dwindler

BR converts to DVD with bitrate too low

Post by dwindler »

Hi,

I am testing your software as a trial user, it seems rather comprehensive and pleasant however I am experiencing problems with the quality of the output it produces: even though I choose a video bitrate of 5.950 Kb/s (in the 'advanced editing window'), the output quality is around 2.500-3.000 Kb/s.

I am using Blu-ray Converter Ultimate version 3.6.0.16

The Blu-Ray disc I'm trying to convert holds two episodes. I am trying to convert only one of these episodes (92 minutes of video) to DVD5, PAL 16/9.
After I set the desired bitrate to 5.950 Kb/s, the Advanced Editing Window informs me the Estimated file size is 4127,8 MB. The main window (bottom left) confirms this 'Estimated converted size' as well as the User target size being DVD5. However, the actually resulting output is only around 1,67GB.

I performed the conversion 3 times, carefully checking all settings each time, but the outcome is always the same. Since the conversion takes my computer around 6-8 hours it is painful to get the wrong results each time.

In my general settings I have, a.o.:

- use 2 pass encoding
- use best video quality settings (slower)
- DVD target size: DVD5

What am I doing wrong?

TIA for your help!
dwindler.
dwindler

Re: BR converts to DVD with bitrate too low

Post by dwindler »

UPDATE: I have updated to the latest version, .25

This version does not offer the bitrate settings in the 'Advanced Editing Window' anymore. Am I right in the assumption that this means there is no way to control conversion quality anymore, aside from setting the output medium (such as DVD5) or size in MB?

In any case, the result is the same: the 92 minutes of video result in 1,67 GB output. I tried it multiple times with various settings. I need better quality than that... how can I achieve that?
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hello,

Do you evaluate the video quality only by checking the video bitrate?
If yes, you use the wrong way...

The Mpeg-2 video encoder is tuned to get best video quality with low bitrate.
Even if you set 20Mbit/s as video bitrate, the encoder will only use the needed bitrate.

So the good question is: how is the video quality?

Regards,
dwindler

Post by dwindler »

Hi cedric,

You are right, the visual video quality is pretty good!

Still however, it is a little strange to define a bitrate setting, get an 'estimated file size' - then get a very different result.

In any case, thanks for your reply, now I understand how it works!
Cheers, dwindler