Ripping 5:3 ratio from dvd to mkv results in black borders

Free video converter, convert from any format to any format, mkv to avi, m2ts to avi, mp4, h264, mts, wmv, mov, DVD, etc.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

DiskJunky

Ripping 5:3 ratio from dvd to mkv results in black borders

Post by DiskJunky »

from v1.0.0.32+

Default view
[attachment=2]5-3RatioProblem1.png[/attachment]

Full screen
[attachment=1]5-3RatioProblem2.png[/attachment]

This did not happen in previous versions;
[attachment=0]5-3RatioProblem3.png[/attachment]

Needless to say, this is very frustrating. It has me re-converting 6 seasons worth of episodes :-(

I've noticed this happening on other ratios when converting films. When putting the converted file into full screen I have large black boarders on every side
Attachments
old default
old default
full screen
full screen
default size
default size
cedric
VSO Team Member

Re: Ripping 5:3 ratio from dvd to mkv results in black borde

Post by cedric »

Hello,

We need more details about your problem like input file format, output format selected, Video converter log files...

Regards,
DiskJunky

Post by DiskJunky »

Original format: unconverted dvd
Destination format: mkv xvid/divx (tried both)
Log files: I'd supply them if I could find them. Tried <user>\Documents, <user>\appdata\local, <user>\appdata\roaming, <user>\appdata\locallow, "\program files (x86)\VSO\VSO Video Converter" (all sub-folders). No log files.

Something of note: see attachment for when the dvd was added. You can see the black borders before the conversion starts

[attachment=0]VsoBug-InitialLoad.png[/attachment]
Attachments
Initial loading of dvd
Initial loading of dvd
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hello,

To find your log files, click on "Help/Tools", "Show log events" then click on "Open log folder".
Will check your problem today by converting a DVD Video to generic video.

Regards,
DiskJunky

Post by DiskJunky »

Thanks Cedric, appreciated. See attached for the log file on the conversion shown in the screenshots. It's possible that the borders are actually encoded into the dvd itself and that the dvd players I use automatically detect and crop accordingly. If that's the case then I guess the option to auto-crop would be nice. Not an easy feature to include though.

Thanks again for the quick turn-around on this - all too often the customer never hears back when there's a problem with their software!

For anyone else reading this, the logs were under [C:\ProgramData\VSO\VSO Video Converter\1\log]
Attachments
VideoConverter_mainlog_.20130909.212923.583.log
file conversion log
(3.43 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
DiskJunky

Post by DiskJunky »

I've been playing around with the settings for the video stream when editing an episode before conversion and there are Stretch settings that perform various scaling on the video. Perhaps an "easy" option would be to add the ability to custom crop the video stream, not just stretch it. It still means that the "Automatic" setting needs to be tweaked but it would allow manual manipulation in the meantime. Just a thought, I know you're busy with other tweaks and changes.
DiskJunky

Post by DiskJunky »

so close...

This is nearly resolved in v1.1.0.20 - and it's obvious ye have been putting in a lot of work to try and resolve this. Don't think we haven't noticed - keep it up guys! :-)

I like the new stretch tool. This gives a good compromise when removing the black borders though does result in a slightly distored picture. Something that is reasonable.

That said, I have got mixed results with the latest version. When adding files to convert and I go to "Add Files", "Load From DVD Structure", "Browse..." and browser to the problematic dvd folder, I still got borders but this time to the left and right of the video rather than on the top and bottom. Tweaking the video with the new stretch tool, I could remove the borders but this left a stretched picture. A 'crop' version of the tool would be the only thing remaining to tweak the video - or a dialog that asked the user for the intended target resolution I guess but I don't know what's involved with either.

Now all that said, I was experimenting and when I went cleared all sections so that there are no videos listed and then went to "Add Files", "Load From DVD Structure" and then picked my VIDEO_TS.ifo file from the list of recently used files, the system loaded the folder and...displayed the correct target resolution for the video. No black borders and no stretching! I also noticed that it picked up the bonus content as separate files. Browsing the folder directly did not.

So one part of the system is working correctly - picking from the reciently used list. I'm not sure what extra logic you have running when that happens vs when browsing but it's doing what is required to fix this issue. I've checked the converted files and they're perfectly converted.

We're nearly at the point where we can close off this issue - the hard work shows guys, keep it up!
DiskJunky

Post by DiskJunky »

** update **

I started converting the other dvds in the sequence and wanted to replicate the issue above but I've been unable to do so with either the new dvds or the same one that was originally giving trouble. I tried restarting the program and now either the Browse or picking from the reciently used list is now working correctly. Possibly issue with black borders was a problem with the install? I installed over the previous version without uninstalling first.

One consistent different I notice is still happing and I can reproduce regularly is that I only get bonus content off a disc when I add files via the reciently used list. "Browse" never loads them.

Either way, the issue that I originally reported no longer seems to be happening for me so that's me happy. :-)
DiskJunky

Post by DiskJunky »

New info:

I have been able to consistently reproduce the bug with black borders appearing in the previewed and converted files when adding dvd folders via the "Add file(s)", "Load from DVD structure", "Browse..." menu. It appears when you browse to a different PARENT folder of a previously processed folder. E.g., I have a folder structure of ripped dvds such that I first browse to the following folder to process it (assuming that I've already browsed to this folder before);
C:\dvds\SomeTvShow\Series1\Disc1

If I then clear the selection and browse to the folder which I HAVEN'T yet processed;
C:\dvds\SomeTvShow\Series1\Disc2

Then borders to NOT appear. If I then clear the selectio again and browse to discs in the next series such that the folder structure is (notice series change);
C:\dvds\SomeTvShow\Series2\Disc1

Then borders WILL appear but only the first time I load that folder. If I clear the current list and browse to that folder again, the converter picks up the correct target resolution correctly without borders. The software also seems to remember previous conversion details. If I then clear the selection and browse to;
C:\dvds\SomeTvShow\Series1\Disc1

Then no borders appear either. The border issue only seems to happen for a new parent folder - but it's consistent enough to be reproducable.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

I cannot reproduce this with 1.1.0.29, can you send screenshots?
could we connect by teamviewer to your machine?