A new Video Converter beta version (1.1.0.23) is out!

Free video converter, convert from any format to any format, mkv to avi, m2ts to avi, mp4, h264, mts, wmv, mov, DVD, etc.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

cedric
VSO Team Member

Re: A new Video Converter Beta version (1.0.0.13) is availab

Post by cedric »

Hello scarboro,

Can you post the reference of your both DVD and Blu ray players?

Will try same profile Xvid here then try them on our divx/blu ray/dvd test players.

Thank you.
Coral
VSO Moderators

Post by Coral »

cedric wrote: - 0006710: [Feature Request] Add AVCHD file format (.mts) in encoder profile choices (cedric) - resolved.
Regards,
Thank you for fixing the user defined part. I was about to ask you for the mts file format. Now I see you have included it. Very good work cedric !!

Please note:
The keyboard does not work to enter the width and height in the coustom profile editor.
The settings in the Video Track section are not being saved. When you try to use the same profile you will find that the settings are lost.
It is not possible to set widescreen. The converted movie is always 4:3
The converted quality is very low even when set to the default 10,000 kbps
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hello Coral,

- "The keyboard does not work to enter the width and height in the coustom profile editor":
I know this problem, it will be fixed in next version

- "The settings in the Video Track section are not being saved. When you try to use the same profile you will find that the settings are lost":
What settings are you talking about? Padding/cropping/rotation/image adjustments settings are relative to one file and can't be used as default setting for all others.
Resize filter use default setting for initialization. If source file is bigger than selected output profile, default downscaling filter is used, upscaling filter if smaller.

- "It is not possible to set widescreen. The converted movie is always 4:3":
To produce a 16/9 (wide) file, you need to manually enter a 16/9 aspect ratio resolution for your custom profile (like 720x405, 1920x1080...)

- "The converted quality is very low even when set to the default 10,000 kbps":
I'm not sure the user bitrate value displayed in video editor is always taken in account, I need to check it today.
What is the video bitrate of your output file (check it using MediaInfo or other...)
What is the result if you import your file then click on Convert without opening the video editor?

Thank you.
Coral
VSO Moderators

Post by Coral »

Hi cedric,
Please have a look at the archived pictures. I have tried to include them as individual pictures but for some reason I kept getting an error.

You will surely notice that the aspect ratio of the original and the converted picture is different. The quality is also very poor.
Have a look at the properties of the original and the converted movies taken with MediaInfo.
Attachments
Conversion.rar
(350.4 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hi Coral,

I seen that your original file have a 16/9 aspect ratio, BUT I seen your entered a 1/25 aspect ratio (720x576) for your custom profile.
Like I said, you need to enter 720 as width and 405 as height if you want to have same aspect ratio on output.
Maybe you think 720x576 is a 16/9 aspect ratio because in DVD specifications, 720*576 is the output resolution for Wide, BUT DVD specs include another setting called "pixel aspect ratio" not used for .ts conversion.
Th's why you must enter a FINAL resolution with 16/9 aspect ratio.

The only one setting not saved (will fix it soon) in your picture is the framerate (fixed to 25Fps, but retrun to "same as source").
Like the resolution you entered (720x576) is available in list, the profile editor has focused it.

I believe you when you say "The quality is also very poor"! The video bitrate in output file is only 415Kbps, there's a problem here...
Please try by importing your file in Video converter then start the conversion immediately for test (like I asked before).

Thank you for your feedback, all your reported issues (user framerate not saved, and bitrate problem) will be fixed in next version.

Regards,
Coral
VSO Moderators

Post by Coral »

Hi cedric,

I did what you asked me to do. I just ran the application, draged my movie file and hit Start. The result as regards bit rate is still 347 Kbps which is too low.

If I change the settings to Resolution "Same as source" the quality will improve but still not quite good.

Video
ID : 256 (0x100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@High
Format settings, BVOP : No
Format settings, Matrix : Default
Format settings, GOP : N=12
Codec ID : 2
Duration : 8s 640ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 1 813 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.035
Time code of first frame : 00:00:00:00
Time code source : Group of pictures header
Stream size : 1.87 MiB (89%)
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hello Coral,

I think I found your problem...
I used your uploaded pictures to create same custom profile as your, and the setting causing your problem is the "maximum bitrate".
The setting value is 100 000 = 100Kbps for video bitrate...
The bitrate unit displayed in label is false (Mb/s)! The unit is in fact Kb/s... thank you, another problem fixed with your help ;)
Please uncheck this option, or set a maximum bitrate value higher (like 5 000 000).

I'm waiting for your feedback...

PS: I fixed your custom framerate issue.

Regards,
Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Post by Cougar_II »

Hello scarboro98

Your audio is "AC3"

I own a Sony Bluray S5100 and I've noticed it doesn't play everything...

But there is 1 thing I know it supports and that's .MP4 (H264) and AAC Audio.

So I made myself a Custom Profile (Video = Same Ratio) and for audio, output to AAC 384 Mhz 6 channels.

Everything I convert plays on my BluRay player.

Read up on your Manuals for both players and see what VIDEO and AUDIO streams they support...
VSO Software Golden Membership Proud Owner / VSO Software Beta Tester
scarboro98

Re: A new Video Converter Beta version (1.0.0.14) is availab

Post by scarboro98 »

Thanks for the reply.
Per your request below is the info for my players;
1. Philips DVD Recorder. Mod.# DVDR3400/37 Mfg. 2006. Older player but certified Divx support. Will not display audio nor video. Only black screen.

2. Samsung Blu-ray Player, Mod.# BD5500/XAA. Latest firmware, will play video, no audio. TV is Sony.

Hopefully will be replacing the older Philips soon but for now it plays most of what I want, just no MKV files. Samsung plays most formats and use it with both AVI and MKV files. Converted files only play on my PC. Have used both GOM Player and Cyberlink 2013.

Again, thanks
Chihuahua

Post by Chihuahua »

ok, so far so good converting files to .m2ts, thanks Cedric and all the VSO staff.
Coral
VSO Moderators

Post by Coral »

cedric wrote:Hello Coral,

I think I found your problem...
I used your uploaded pictures to create same custom profile as your, and the setting causing your problem is the "maximum bitrate".
The setting value is 100 000 = 100Kbps for video bitrate...
The bitrate unit displayed in label is false (Mb/s)! The unit is in fact Kb/s... thank you, another problem fixed with your help ;)
Please uncheck this option, or set a maximum bitrate value higher (like 5 000 000).

I'm waiting for your feedback...

PS: I fixed your custom framerate issue.

Regards,
(1) What is the point in so large units ? It would be less confusing if the units are in kbps as most converters.
(2) The resolution is still going back to "Same as source"
(3) The Reset to default does not appear to be working in Brightness-Contrast-Saturation and on Gamma correction
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hello Coral,

"What is the point in so large units ? It would be less confusing if the units are in kbps as most converters":
You're right, max bitrate unit will be Kb/s in next version...
"The resolution is still going back to "Same as source"
Sorry but I can't reproduce your problem with 1.0.0.14?
"The Reset to default does not appear to be working in Brightness-Contrast-Saturation and on Gamma correction"
Fixed for next version...

Regards,
Coral
VSO Moderators

Re: A new Video Converter Beta version (1.0.0.15) is out!

Post by Coral »

Hello Cedric,

Congratulations. Your movie convertor is turning out fine. Can you please change bits/s to kb/s to eliminate some zeros ?
Also. Is it possible to add a .mpg as container sutable for PAL or NTSC TV, widescreen (16:9) or full screen (4:3) ? The idea is to use that movie for authoring as standard DVD in a third party application.

In Output Formats Generic Video I think you should also add mpg 1 and mpg 2. I know that mpg 1 is hardly ever used but it's nice to have it there for availability.

As regards the Reset to Brightness-Contrast-Saturation and Gamma correction they appear to be working fine now.
DVD video aspect ratio is now working fine too.
deadlyshadow
VSO Fanatic

Post by deadlyshadow »

Does VSO forget CXD and replace it with Video Converter?
Last edited by deadlyshadow on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hello deadlyshadow,

For sure no, VSO doesn't forget ConvertXtoDVD and we are working hard on!
ConvertX will stay our major product to create/edit DVD Video and we don't plan to replace it.

The major purpose of Video converter is to edit a multimedia file then convert it to avi, mkv, mp4, ogg, mp3...
The DVD Video output format is available, but you haven't any DVD menu advanced settings (only DVD menu page title).

Regards,
deadlyshadow
VSO Fanatic

Post by deadlyshadow »

cedric wrote:Hello deadlyshadow,

ConvertX will stay our major product to create/edit DVD Video and we don't plan to replace it.

The major purpose of Video converter is to edit a multimedia file then convert it to avi, mkv, mp4, ogg, mp3...
The DVD Video output format is available, but you haven't any DVD menu advanced settings (only DVD menu page title).

Regards,
Thank you
I hope VSO fixes issues that prevent some (including me) using latest version of CXD
ckhouston
VSO Fanatic

Post by ckhouston »

Is there a way to set the DVD Video profile target size to DVD5 or DVD9?
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hello ckhouston,

I need to "meditate" on this point because Video Converter compute video bitrate from items separately (not the whole project like with DVD output format) :

- If selected output profile will generate a single file (avi, mkv, mp4...), video bitrate must be computed for each item separately (regarding resolution, duration...)
- If selected output profile will generate a DVD Video structure, video bitrate must be computed by taking in account all items.

I think the best way is to add an output size setting in DVD Video settings. (DVD-5, DVD-9 and custom size)

Regards,
JoeB
VSO Fanatic

Post by JoeB »

cedric wrote:Hello deadlyshadow,

Regards,
Does VSO have even an approximate time frame for when they will be releasing a working version of CXD5 that fixes the various issues that have been brought up over the past 3 months?

Regards,

JoeB
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

@ckhouston:
- 0006742: [Feature Request] Have the ability to set output size to DVD5, DVD9 or Custom (DVD Output Profile) (cedric) - resolved.
Before you ask this, I will add the burn engine in future version ;)

@JoeB:
We are working on ConvertXtoDVD to publish a new beta version before this week end...

Regards,