Using CUDA?

bluray player, video player, audio player, free video player, free media player

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, alexia, Forum admin

dgktkr

Using CUDA?

Post by dgktkr »

Hi,

Should VSO Media Player be automatically detecting and using CUDA on my computer? If so, why doesn't it look like it is doing so?

In Windows 7 on a mid-2010 mac mini (Boot Camp), VSO Media Player is almost (but not quite) capable of playing Blu Ray discs without choppiness in the video and audio. The latest version of AnyDVD-HD is doing the decrypting. In the computer is an Nvidia 320M graphics processor that is CUDA enabled (Nvidia's deviceQuery reports CUDA capability level 1.2). After installion, the "CUDA" box is unchecked in the VSO Player "Settings" window and clicking it with the mouse has no effect.

When playing a blu ray disc, the GPU Observer gadget by Orbmu2k indicates 0% utilization of the VPU and 3-4% of the GPU. So, as near as I can tell, hardware acceleration using the graphics processor isn't happening.

For comparison, both PowerDVD 8 and WinDVD 11 have smooth playback -- for the video and the audio. In the same spot of the movie where I quote readings above, both of these players are indicating around 80% of the VPU and 10% of the GPU.

So it looks like the mac mini's CPU is not fast enough to smoothly play blu ray discs on its own -- it needs to use hardware assist from the graphics processor.

I suppose I could continue to use PowerDVD 8 that came free with the blu ray drive, but the user interface is insufferable. As for WinDVD 11, it is expensive and gross overkill for what I want. I like the simplicity of the lightweight VSO Media Player, but unless it can be made to use hardware acceleration from the 320M graphics processor, I won't be using this player due to choppy playback.

I've attached a session log file. The program didn't crash, so it's not really a crash file.

Also attached is the output from Nvidia's deviceQuery program, which supplies more details about the graphics processor in my computer.

dgktkr
Attachments
deviceQuery.txt.zip
(1.52 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
VSO Media Player.crash.log.zip
(2.1 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
felicia
VSO Team Member

Re: Using CUDA?

Post by felicia »

Hi,

CUDA will be fixed on the nest release.

Regards,

Felicià?
dgktkr

Re: Using CUDA?

Post by dgktkr »

Thank you, Felicia, for the quick reply. It's encouraging to know you are working on the issue. I'm eager to try out your upcoming version.

dgktkr