Feature Request @Cedric : DVD Menu Background

Help with Bluray Converter and Convert DVD to mp4 and other formats. strip Bluray, convert to Blu-ray or avchd, convert blu ray to mkv, avi, copy DVDs and much more.

Moderators: Maggie, alexia, Forum admin

mrr19121970

Feature Request @Cedric : DVD Menu Background

Post by mrr19121970 »

Hi Cedric, here's a feature request that is easy to implement and adds high value. In directory \BDMV\META\DL there is an XML file and JPGs these are usually read (by the PS3 for example) to replace the icon of the disk. It would be great if you could add this as an option to the created DVD menu to use these jacket covers as the background.
cedric
VSO Team Member

Re: Feature Request @Cedric : DVD Menu Background

Post by cedric »

Hi mrr19121970,

I added your feature request in my task list, but I must close some other tasks before.

http://bugs.vso-software.fr/view.php?id=4327

Thank your for your suggestion...
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hi,

I've just compiled a new beta version (1.2.0.10) with your feature request added :

http://forums.vso-software.fr/vso-blu-r ... 12998.html
You will found the beta version download link on bottom of first post...

How this new feature works :
- If only one structure is added in project, both ROOT and TITLE DVD menu pages will use the Blu-ray "cover" as background
- If more than one structure is added in project, each TITLE DVD menu pages will use the Blu-ray "cover" of corresponding structure, ROOT menu will use default background of selectede template

You will found this new option in DVD menu option windows (where you select DVD menu template...)

I'm waiting for your feedback...

Thank you for your usefull feature request!
mrr19121970

Post by mrr19121970 »

Hi Cedric!

Yes, this is working as I expected thanks. I'm wondering if you are using the *Jacket_LRG.jp or *Jacket_SML.jpg as the quality of the picture is blocky, or is this an MPEG2 issue? I'm not sure I've come across a disk yet that has "jacket" sound yet, but this could be an option too.

Mike.
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hi,

I always use the bigger image file for background...

Do you use the best video quality setting (to use Lanczos as resize filter)?

Thanks.
mrr19121970

Post by mrr19121970 »

Yes, I'm using best quality.
mrr19121970

Post by mrr19121970 »

Hi Cedric!

I'm using 1.2.0.12, selecting classic menu (best for BD backgrounds). There is no audio/subtitle or chapter menu. Is this normal? :(

Update

I tried default, simple menu and this creates subtitle/audio + chapter menus but without background image. How do I get classic to display the extra menu parts?
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hi,

Classic menu doesn't provide settings/chapters DVD page.
You must choose another DVD menu template if you want to have a setting/chapter page on final DVD.

In last version (1.2.0.13), I added background image on chapter pages.
I tried to add background image on settings page too, but after a lot of try, I decided to remove it because this page became unclear with some pictures.

I also increased image background transparency to highlight buttons and others controls.

Thanks.
mrr19121970

Post by mrr19121970 »

@Cedric

I just tried this with Beverley Hills Chihuaha 2 (using 1.2.0.15). It didn't work, also the menu now says 'title of the current film' with no background picture. Also a small bug report, when you click on 'convert' you get the error message 'The output folder need to be cleaned before starting the process... Do you wish to continue?' When you click 'no', you still go onto the next dialogue. Also need should be needs in error message.
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hi,

Please, can you try with last beta version (1.2.0.16) I've just published :

http://forums.vso-software.fr/post64874.html#p64874

Thank you!
mrr19121970

Post by mrr19121970 »

Hi Cedric!

Yes, that's working again now. Thanks. I'd really prefer an option though so I can decide whether I want the background on the settings page. My example would have been OK with the background picture too.

Mike.
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Ok you won, I will check tomorrow if I can add background picture for setting page too...
mrr19121970

Post by mrr19121970 »

Hi Cedric

Version 1.4.0.5 still doesn't have the background picture on all menus :(
Attachments
SW Menu #3.jpg
SW Menu #2.jpg
SW Menu #1.jpg
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hi,

I worked on your problem and it will be fixed for next version (1.4.0.7).
All menu pages background will use Blu-ray cover if available and if setting is enabled.

EDIT :
The new version (1.4.0.7) has been set as default version on our web site :
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/blu ... verter.php

Thank you!
mrr19121970

Post by mrr19121970 »

Hi Cedric!

Just tried 1408. Perfect. Thanks.
0xdeadbeef

Post by 0xdeadbeef »

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the background picture seems to be still broken in 1.4.0.8.

If I select "Black mirror (with chapter text)", the manually selected background image is ignored no matter which transparency I chose.
Only if I select "Black mirror with static thumbnails", the background image is sometimes displayed (though most of the times it's ignored as well), yet then the video loop is showed in the upper part of the screen. Anyway, I just can't detect any kind of system when the background image is ignored and when it's displayed.
Sometimes it works for e.g. background transparency of 255 but then the next time it doesn't with the very same picture and setup. Seems completely random to me.

Besides, it would be necessary to select a font color when using a background image - else the light font gets unreadable on most background which are not completely dark.

Furthermore, a working menu preview would be really, really helpful ... or at least a test menu render without converting the whole movie each time. Currently it's just trying out options and hoping they'll work - but usually they don't, which is rather frustrating...
It would even help if the menus were just rendered first. Then you could stop the process if the result was unexpected again without having to convert the main movie first...

And while we're at it: why isn't it possible to use/select a background image in the DVD Converter but only in the BD Converter?