Quick question

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

robertg_s

Quick question

Post by robertg_s »

Hello everyone,

I have used TDK 8X DVDs recently. But recently I have it telling me my copied projects need a dual layer DVD in order to complete them (they are under 4 GB) yet if I put any other brand of DVD it works fine. I even switched the DVD burner itself. Does anyone else have a solution to this problem?

Thanks
Robert
Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Re: Quick question

Post by Cougar_II »

Hi,

This is weird for sure :)

We do not have lots of info also, but here is my 2 cents opinion....

Always buy Taiyo Yuden (TY-02, TY-03) or Verbatim medias (AZO Dye)

Those are the best and will probably solve most if not all burning issues you could ever have...

https://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Check the above site ;)

Bizarre, TDK medias are in the ~ 1st Class Blank DVD Media / “Archival Grade” Discs ~ lists....
VSO Software Golden Membership Proud Owner / VSO Software Beta Tester
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

I would be interested to see what ImgBurn has to say on these TDK 8x DVD's. I don't let CXD burn my projects, just create VIDEO_TS output that I then use ImgBurn to burn to DVD-R.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say it's some kind of bug in CXD since other DVD's work. However, it could be specific to the TDK discs, which is why I'd be interested to see what ImgBurn has to say attempting to write to these 8x discs.
robertg_s

Post by robertg_s »

I had been using the TDK ones and successfully burned DVDs prior to this using CXD. It just up and stopped working. I am not sure what to do at this keep using other brands that seem to work as I have quite lot more to still burn or if I should unistall CXD and redo a clean reinstall as I do have lifetime membership with the software.

Robert
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

I've found TDK to be generally higher class media. I burned some about 20 years ago that I recently read back in to image files with ImgBurn to reburn on Verbatim DataLife Plus AZO series. They all read in fine. And their CD-R's are still readable after 20 years, too.

Since it seems these same TDK DVD-R's work in other applications but not in CXD anymore and since they had worked before in CXD, there are really only 2 conclusions one can reach: 1.) there's a corruption in the CXD installation 2.) TDK changed the production line methodology of the DVD-R's that the combination of your drive and CXD has an incompatibility.

It's not unheard of for production lines to change manufacturing techniques. Verbatim changed the DataLife Plus DVD-R's at one point so they stopped working with LG's WH16NS60. A subsequent firmware update fixed the issue.

However, I believe the OP said they tried these same 8x DVD-R in different drives and got the same result? Was this other drive the same make, model, and manufacturer or was it an entirely different unit? If it was an entirely different unit, you can probably rule out conclusion #2.
robertg_s

Post by robertg_s »

Hello all,

Problem with the TDK 8x DVDs is solved. Today I had a BIOS update from Dell and they now work again.

Robert
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

That's... odd. A BIOS update generally wouldn't address a single media type issue. A drive's firmware update would, but a BIOS update would generally only update issues with all media you'd be using.
robertg_s

Post by robertg_s »

Hello

Guess you are right there. I tried again today back to not working again. I fired off a message to VSO and awaiting their thoughts on this matter and few other problems I am having with more of their software.
yoyo57

Post by yoyo57 »

Simply sounds like the app has lost the plot/ corrupted.
Suggest reinstall the app, using clean reinstall options.
VSO Gold Member
robertg_s

Post by robertg_s »

Boy do I look foolish now! It turns out the problem was just some bad DVDs.
Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Post by Cougar_II »

robertg_s wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:30 pm Boy do I look foolish now! It turns out the problem was just some bad DVDs.
Hello,
Curious, what media did you try now that works now ? :)
VSO Software Golden Membership Proud Owner / VSO Software Beta Tester
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

I am guessing the OP meant they got a bad batch of TDK 8x DVD-R's. That a new supply they tried worked fine. But, maybe not. :)
robertg_s

Post by robertg_s »

Yes, dbminter was correct I just ran across a few bad TDK in my package that were bad. Now I can burn on all makes of blank DVD including TDK. I was just so quick to think that it was a software issue.
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

I've seen it happen before. I've even seen cases where some discs in a cake stack were fine but others would not properly write.

OP: Glad you got it resolved!