UHD Converter first release

Moderators: Maggie, alexia, Forum admin

Jacques (VSO)
VSO Team Member

UHD Converter first release

Post by Jacques (VSO) »

After 1 year of development, we are proud to announce the release of VSO UHD Converter, which inaugurates a new series of conversion software that we want to offer to our users.

Quick link to the software page

This is the first of our new line of general purpose video converter. It convert virtually any video source to a format more suitable to your needs.

It is available for Windows, Macintosh (both with Intel or Arm processor). Linux is also considered depending on the user feedback.

This is a first version that we built with ease of use as our main criterion. We wanted to release it before the end of 2023 (yes, it's not too late)

It is expected to evolve in the future. We will particularly listen to our users to add new features in accordance with the feedback we receive.

We currently offer 5 very simple encoding profiles :
  1. Compatible MP4: All video players, even the oldest ones, will be able to play it
    Format: MP4 container, H264 Video, AC3 Audio
    If the video source is at a resolution higher than FullHD (1920x1080), it is resized.
  2. For the WEB: The format officially recommended by Google for Internet distribution
    Format: WEBM container, VP9 Video, OPUS Audio
  3. Recent Players: A good choice for high definition content balanced between size, quality and compatibility
    Format: Matroska (MKV) container, HEVC Video, AAC Audio
  4. WEB High Quality: State of the art video and audio format. Requires a longer encoding time and a recent player for decoding
    Format: Matroska (MKV) container, AV1 Video, OPUS Audio
  5. AUDIO Extraction: Only the audio track is kept. Absolutely all audio players will be able to play it.
    Format: MP3 container, No Video, MP3 Audio

Other target will be added in the future from the feedback of our users.

In accordance with our habits and although we particularly appreciate that our users purchase a commercial license so we can continue to provide quality software, yet we have left this new software perfectly usable for free with all its functions and without time limit.

Before any purchase of a commercial license, we kindly ask our user to test our software for free to their full extent.

Enough talking. Enjoy !
Jacques.
VSO Software Team Member
Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Re: UHD Converter first release

Post by Cougar_II »

Excellent news, thank you VSO !

Wife wants videos on her iPad, and never sure what ratio and streams supported by her old iPad vs the new one etc…

Like ConvertXtoVideo, I would like to see specific support for Apple iPad in my case.

Thank you !
VSO Software Golden Membership Proud Owner / VSO Software Beta Tester
Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Post by Cougar_II »

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/videos- ... 62692.html
While there are many video formats the Apple iPad supports, there are even more that it doesn't support. If you have ever tried to watch a Flash movie, or a Windows Media Video, you have already found some of the iPad's limitations. Once you know which formats the iPad does support, you can often convert the file before uploading it to the device. If you're not interested in converting your own video files, there are also plenty of apps that will make most videos viewable on the device.
Compatible Video Formats
The iPad natively supports many of the common video formats used today, including H.264, MP4, M4V, MOV, MPEG-4 and M-JPEG. By default, these play in the iPad's Videos app. The iPad does have limitations within these formats. For example, H.264 videos are limited to 1080 pixels and 30 frames per second. MPEG-4 videos are limited to 2.5 Mbps and 640 by 380 pixel resolution at 30 frames per second. Videos exceeding these limits may not play correctly on an iPad, or may not play at all. Although the iPad does support stereo sound, you will need headphones or external speakers to hear it. The built-in speaker provides only mono playback.

Incompatible Videos
The iPad does not support AVI, Flash (FLV) or Windows (WMV) video file formats. If you have a video in these formats, you will need to convert it to a compatible format before you can play it on an iPad. If your video is in a compatible format, but the size or speed is incompatible, you can convert it in iTunes. After dragging a video into the Movies section of iTunes, just select the video and select "Create New Version" from the File menu. You can then specify an "iPad version" of the video.
Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Post by Cougar_II »

Another great read …

What Video Formats Does iPad Support?
H.264 video up to 4K, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2 with AAC‑LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio or Dolby Audio up to 1008 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo or multichannel audio, in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;

MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC‑LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio or Dolby Audio up to 1008 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo or multichannel audio, in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;

Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.
Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Post by Cougar_II »

Hello everyone !

We are January 24th, 2024 and this is the 1st post of 2024 on the forum :P

Might as well be me LOL !

190+ people has seen this post, and no one has posted (yet)...

Did you download VSO UHD ? Did you try it ?
What do you like, what do you hate ?

VSO does listen to their users (I know) I have offered lots of feedback and they added lots of my ideas in their software.
Help VSO make the software OURS ;)
owdjim

Post by owdjim »

It seems that this thread has been locked for "Registered Users", so that might explain why its been a bit quiet :wink:

I have downloaded and had a bit of a play around with the new UHD Converter, but can't really do much because it won't save its settings.

I have to reset folder locations, encoder preferences etc each time I start it. This makes it unusable.

As a minimum I need it to start in "Expert" mode each time, and have GPL software tick box enabled so it finds the right encoders.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling in various different locations, but nothing seems to work.

This is version 1.0.0.56 with a "free" registration on Windows 10.

Cheers, Chris
Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Post by Cougar_II »

Ah yes, I forgot to talk about this with you ;)

Try this.

Start application
Do your changes
Hit apply
Save
Close the application

See if your changes are saved…

Jacques was explaining to me how settings are stored, all defaults in the registry, only the changes are stored to config file.

Using the above steps should help.

Please advise !
Cougar_II
VSO Fanatic

Post by Cougar_II »

I found Jacques’ explanation !
On my TEST PC #2 anything I did didn't seem to keep my setting....
Settings has been fully redesigned to be 100% portable, asynchronous, automatically saved as they are changed but without causing too much system load. this mean that there is a polling to write modified settings on disc, which is set to 10 seconds if I remind correctly.

When the application close, the settings engine check modification and write immediately if needed without waiting. But if for some reason the application has not closed in a cooperative way, the settings may not have been written to the disc therefore not saved.

So the condition for this should be something like modifying the settings, click ok and close immediately the application after. Normally it shouldn't occur but it is something definitively needed to investigate on.

This setting engine is used in Downloader 6 also, and will be used in all the future apps. So it must work perfectly !
Jacques.
VSO Software Team Member
owdjim

Post by owdjim »

Start application
Do your changes
Hit apply
Save
Close the application
What seems to work for me is:

Start application
Do my changes
Avoid hitting "Apply" at all costs (seems to give random results - I suspect it may sometimes save "defaults" rather than my changes)
Hit OK
Wait... wait.... wait... wait.....
Close the application

The "wait" seems to need to be longer than 10 seconds.

I get the feeling that unsaved changes aren't being saved when I close the app too quickly.

Cheers, Chris