XP support

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

snoopy120

XP support

Post by snoopy120 »

I am a registered user of ConvertXtoDVD and every time I try to install an upgrade, which would be 7.0.0.69, I get a windows error saying the program is not a valid Win32 application. I get the same thing on VSO Downloader. Did support XP? stop? I am using XP, SP3.
Coral
VSO Moderators

Re: XP support

Post by Coral »

I have revived a computer with WinXP OS.
I shall let you know if there is any problems with ConvertX.
Coral
VSO Moderators

Post by Coral »

I can confirm that this latest version is not working on 32bit systems.
I shall get in contact with support and clarify the matter.
yoyo57

Post by yoyo57 »

VSO Support for XP is very generous. I was reading Windows XP started in 2002 and Microsoft support for it ended April 8, 2014.
VSO Gold Member
Maggie
VSO Team Member

Post by Maggie »

Hello,

Unfortunately, we had to abandon XP support.
Our last update removed Vista and XP support for all our apps.
Vista (2006-2009) was the less complicated and we decided to restore compatibility (1hours work) + this work was also structural improvement (no loss f time!). However, restoring XP compatibility needs a huge amount of work and we cannot currently afford to work on a very old OS. (2001-2008).

We are very sorry for the inconvenience.
Maggie,
VSO Support
Maggie
VSO Team Member

Post by Maggie »

(just to confirm: 32b is supported (actually our apps are 32b (soon 64b!)). XP support is the missing piece on this issue)
Maggie,
VSO Support
snoopy120

Post by snoopy120 »

Maggie wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:08 am Hello,

Unfortunately, we had to abandon XP support.
Vista (2006-2009) was the less complicated and we decided to restore compatibility (1hours work) + this work was also structural improvement (no loss f time!). However, restoring XP compatibility needs a huge amount of work and we cannot currently afford to work on a very old OS. (2001-2008).

This is maddening. I just registered and paid for my software around Christmas. No one ever said the program would not be usable to me anymore! What is the LAST version to support XP, and where can I get it?
Coral
VSO Moderators

Post by Coral »

Just click on this link. It should start the download.

http://download.vso-software.fr/archive ... 0.0.68.exe

There are only very minor changes in the next version which only supports 64bit.
yoyo57

Post by yoyo57 »

Very commendable that VSO supported XP for so long.

Especially when you consider that Microsoft Windows XP is 19 years old. And Microsoft ended support for it on April 9, 2019.
VSO Gold Member
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

Huge problem with XP is that there is so many new codecs and formats that require newer OS.
Real bully here is Microsoft, they forced changes to OS code that prevents applications from working in XP and Win10.
Of course some developers make their applications compatible with any OS but that requires huge amount of work and code.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
Coral
VSO Moderators

Post by Coral »

Mostly it is the hardware which represents the biggest problem, when drivers are not available.

I have been lucky and amazed with Win10 compatibility mode. I managed to use software which has been intended for WinXP.
Gripweed

Post by Gripweed »

Maggie wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:08 am Unfortunately, we had to abandon XP support.

You need to go through your "tech specs" for each of your programs on your website as some of them are out of date. As an example your website shows this for ConvertXtoDVD -

System requirements
Operating System
Windows 10/8.1/8/7 Windows 7 Windows 8 Windows 10
Compatible with 32 & 64 bit Windows
mac MAC user click here to get the best alternative!

Hardware
Processor Intel Pentium III / AMD Athlon
(Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon XP or above recommended)
512 MB RAM with Windows XP
1 GB RAM with Windows Vista
2 GB RAM with Windows 10
4 GB RAM to convert from UHD (4K) content
Hard disk drive with at least 4.3 Gbytes free
DVD Burner

This is confusing to some people like this (expletive) that gave VSO a bad rating at https://www.videohelp.com/software/Conv ... ercomments
Gripweed

Post by Gripweed »

I'll try again for your sake, not for mine. You are getting hammered in reviews (see previous link in my last message) because of this line on the ConvertXtoDVD spec page of your website...

512 MB RAM with Windows XP

People are taking that incorrectly to mean that the current version of ConvertXtoDVD is able to run under XP although you clearly show right above that line that ConvertXtoDVD only runs under...

Operating System
Windows 10/8.1/8/7

I don't know whether these reviewers are illiterate, stupid, trolls, a software competitor, any or all of those things but it is making VSO look like a bunch of liars as to what your program can do. Take 5 seconds and remove the "512 MB RAM with Windows XP" line from the specs of ConvertXtoDVD on your website and then take some additional time to go through all your other products and see if any others will not run under XP and remove any similar line from their specs if it is there. Additionally it would do you well to post a response to the reviewers at the videohelp.com site especially since VSO is listed as an "affiliate" there. You are spending advertising money on that site and it is being negated by bad (misleading) reviews on the same site.
I started off by saying this message was for "your sake, not for mine", that's not quite true. Every lifetime licensee of a VSO product (such as myself) has a vested interest in seeing that VSO is around for as long as possible. Only with the existence of VSO will we see improvements and fixes to the products that we felt were good enough to invest our money for the long haul. VSO and their lifetime licensees need to dispute these bad reviews. It would not hurt for lifetime licensees and just happy users of VSO products to start writing positive reviews of those products so that word will get out about the little French software company that makes wonderful video products.
Maggie
VSO Team Member

Post by Maggie »

Hi Gripweed,
Thank you so much for your message, support and advice!
I've just reached out videohelp.com in order to answer to these XP reviews as editor.
We'll remove all XP references on the website asap.

Have a lovely day ♥
Maggie,
VSO Support
Maggie
VSO Team Member

Post by Maggie »

(updated for main languages and products on vsosoftware.fr!)
Maggie,
VSO Support