Unable to convert video file

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

eddie11013

Unable to convert video file

Post by eddie11013 »

First message: Some chapter points cannot be created as DVD standards limit has been reached (99 chapters). The entire video file will still be converted.

Second message: One or more files can’t be loaded.

Help: Make sure your file is a valid video file.
To do this:
Try playing the file in a media player.
If the file does not play, there are little chances ConvertXtoDVD will accept it.
If the file does play, consider contacting VSO Software for help.

File “does” play on “Media Player Classic”

Thinking maybe convert file to another video format and then try again, but that will take a lot of time.

Log file attached

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Attachments
ConvertXtoDVD 7_mainlog.20190930.093808.060.log
(2.57 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
Coral
VSO Moderators

Re: Unable to convert video file

Post by Coral »

First message: Try to increase the chapter time in order to get less chapters.

Second message: Try playing the movies in VLC player. There are movies which play well but fail to convert. Sometimes converting them to another type will solve the problem.

There is an MP4 version of the movie out there. I can send you the torrent link if you pm your email address.
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

I've often found files that fail to load for conversion can be gotten to load by saving the file as another file type format. Like from MKV to MP4. I use AVIDeMux for such a thing.
eddie11013

Post by eddie11013 »

Issue resolved.
I tried to change chapters to 20 minutes, didn't work. Changed to 30 minutes, didn't work. Was going to change to 40 minutes and then I noticed a "default setting": Use original chapter points if available. I had noticed that there 'were' a "lot" of chapter points already in the file when I played it. Not surprising I suppose for such a "long" movie. Unchecked this 'default setting' and set the chapter to 10 minutes which is what I usually do, and the file converted without issue.

Thanks for replying.
Coral
VSO Moderators

Post by Coral »

It would be ideal if you check the movie before trying to convert using MediaInfo or MKVToolNix. Then you can check what elements the movie file contains. With MKVToolNix you will be able to remove any of the elements and re-encode the movie again in a couple of minutes.
eddie11013

Post by eddie11013 »

Just wondering, why have a default setting for chapter points and also have the option to set your own chapter points where ever you like. Point being I would not have had an issue if this "default" setting hadn't been there. Being using this software for a very long time and this is the first time I have encountered this issue. Suggestion to use MediaInfo or MKVToolNix while might prove useful has never been needed in the past by 'me'. And I have done a "lot" of conversions. When I first install the software, I preset my settings, and, I have always, until this time, just loaded the video file and proceeded to the conversion process.

Thanks for replying
Coral
VSO Moderators

Post by Coral »

1) "Just wondering, why have a default setting for chapter points and also have the option to set your own chapter points where ever you like."
It is better to have an option more than an option less. Use which is best for your project.

2) "Being using this software for a very long time and this is the first time I have encountered this issue."
Like what happens to most of us: There is always the first time for anything. That's how we learn.

3) "Suggestion to use MediaInfo or MKVToolNix while might prove useful has never been needed in the past by 'me'."
Those are very handy tools to have. And they cost nothing.

4) "When I first install the software, I preset my settings, and, I have always, until this time, just loaded the video file and proceeded to the conversion process."
Same reply as for (2).

That is the fun about video conversions. Don't take anything for granted. :wink: