Using latest beta virtual memory still maxes out

Convert to HD, convert Blu-ray , blu-ray menu, Burn bluray disks, create blu-ray disk, create AVCHD, Create custom blu-ray disk with menu

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

RanmaCanada

Using latest beta virtual memory still maxes out

Post by RanmaCanada »

Trying to do a conversion right now, using latest beta 3.0.0.68, and if I enable hardware, my encodes will get to 60-70% with nvenc, and 20% with Kronos Open CL, and then pause because "Virtual Memory is too low". I have 16 gigs of ram, Ryzen 2700, and even when it is paused from low Virtual Memory, the program is only using 4 gigs of ram, with me having at least 8 more free.

I upgraded to 3 from 2 because it was supposed to fix this error with virtual memory (as you abandoned version 2), and yet it's still there. I have done a clean install of windows, a clean install of ConvertXtoHD, and yet it will NOT finish encoding if I enable hardware. What's the point of having the option if it's completely broken?

The last update was in June of 2019.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Re: Using latest beta virtual memory still maxes out

Post by JJ »

Virtual memory is not real memory.
Check this link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how ... 0.2496510/
Set your virtual memory (paged file) to fast HD, try with same amount that you have real RAM.
Check that page file is not on same drive as conversion target. Then test again.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
RanmaCanada

Post by RanmaCanada »

Nope. Increased virtual memory to 16 gigs, yada yada, encode still fails as virtual memory is too low.

Program is useless until this is fixed. There is no reason for this to be happening other than poor programming.

Having to manually adjust VM is a throwback to windows 3.1. This is a joke of a situation, and it should not be happening.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

Just to test this, I converted a movie without problems.
Total memory usage went almost to 10Gb out of my 32Gb. Page file (virtual memory) was 5Gb, during conversion it was utilized up to 4%. I was using my system all the time for some games and browsing.
Here is log of conversion, FullHD movie to BR 720P.

What are you trying to convert and to what format? Post conversion log here.
Attachments
ConvertXtoHD 3_mainlog.20190826.210133.241.log
(17.78 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
RanmaCanada

Post by RanmaCanada »

I'm not going to bother as it's obvious this is a problem that people have, and the devs are ignoring it. I'll just go back to doing CPU with TMPEG Authoring Works as it works, and also has better menu templates. This exact problem has been posted multiple times in the forum and each time nothing but silence from the company. I've been doing dvd authoring for 20 years, and bluray for almost 10. The convenience of being able to use NVENC is the only reason I bought version 2, and upgraded to version 3 when it was supposed to fix the issues that made 2 broken (besides the fact it was abandoned)

You're doing x264 to x264. I'm doing 10bit x265 to x264.

I'm glad to know I've wasted my money.

Cheers.
RanmaCanada

Post by RanmaCanada »

And I forgot to add, I'm doing a TV series conversion, multiple files at once. You did a test with one movie. That's like a customer complaining that their car woobles at highway speeds, and the stealership takes the car and drives it in normal traffic and says "NFF".
Attachments
ConvertXtoHD 3_mainlog.20190826.114347.867.log
(29.02 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

RanmaCanada wrote:And I forgot to add, I'm doing a TV series conversion, multiple files at once. You did a test with one movie. That's like a customer complaining that their car woobles at highway speeds, and the stealership takes the car and drives it in normal traffic and says "NFF"

Nope, read your first post. Nothing about conversion problem depending on any amount of files.
But no problem, I test multiple files.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

I did conversion with 8 episodes. Conversion succeeded, I did get in log few warnings of memory low like your log, but I just let it go on and it continued those and finished conversion.
So program is working. Sure there might be some formats that present problems, some might even fail, but that is due those formats.

I will try to get some 10bit x265 to test next.
Attachments
ConvertXtoHD 3_mainlog.20190827.190231.286.log
(57.03 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

As promised, conversion with 10bit x265 files.
11 files with different sizes, conversion finished without problems.

ConvertXtoHD is doing its job just fine. Your log shows a lot of pausing due lack of memory so there is something causing it.
Finding out what is not that easy, it can be anything like damaged files, non-standard encoding, number of cores used to convert (too many conversions going on simultaneously will choke data transfer) or something else.
Attachments
ConvertXtoHD 3_mainlog.20190828.203028.340.log
(43.01 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
RanmaCanada

Post by RanmaCanada »

Considering I am only doing 4 encodes, 2 hardware (1080Ti with 2 nvenc "engines") and 2 software, there is no excuse for what is happening. As I have stated, and multiple other people have posted on, this is a recurring issue that is being ignored by the dev team. The fact you had to wait, and had the patience to wait, when you shouldn't have to wait, good on you. The fact is, if I am doing an encode that says it will take 25 minutes, I shouldn't have to wait 2 freaking hours for the file to maybe finish. Maybe you think that is fine, but sadly, I expect software to work as it should and use my hardware properly.

After looking at your log files, you used video samples that are a joke in length. Again, I face palm at this attempt to debunk what is happening. The files you've attempted to use, aren't even a minute in length and thus the amount of time that they are being used by the encoding engine is negligible. I get you're trying to help, but all you're doing is showing you have no idea what you are talking about or doing. I'm sorry. If you had used something longer like Tears of Steel or Sintel, maybe I could take your post seriously. Sure 12 minutes of video may not be enough time for the encoding engine to time out, but it sure is better than 30 seconds.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

I used files that were available and had different bitrates, 10bit and x265.
Now I'm acquiring some movies that are in that format and test again.