ConvertXtoHD : the maximum number of inserted videos ?

Convert to HD, convert Blu-ray , blu-ray menu, Burn bluray disks, create blu-ray disk, create AVCHD, Create custom blu-ray disk with menu

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

minhcute

ConvertXtoHD : the maximum number of inserted videos ?

Post by minhcute »

Hi VSO team,

We read this old topic again together :
answers-to-most-of-your-conversion-ques ... 11326.html
We already know that ConvertXtoDVD & ConvertXtoHD use the encoding method CQ while all other disc creator softwares use the method CBR or VBR. This is the reason why these 2 softwares can insert and convert many video into 1 disc with the outstanding output quality while other softwares on market only allow us to create disc with only 1 movie. This method is extremely useful for users, because it help us to be able to enjoy many movies in only 1 DVD/Bluray disc, help us to save much time and money while the movie quality is still very good. I extremely like ConvertXtoDVD and ConvertXtoHD because of this reason.

So, the content of this topic is I want to ask you that have you already made ConvertXtoHD to insert MAXIMUM number of videos which it can insert while the output quality of each movie is still very good ? Or you have decreased that maximum number, because only some users have complained to you that why ConvertXtoHD can insert so many movies ?

The ability of inserting many videos (while the output quality of each video is still perfect) is the peerless feature of ConvertXtoHD and it is great. I love it because of this reason. So I hope you will always keep ConvertXtoHD can insert as many videos as possible (MAXIMUM number in its ability) and the output quality of each video is still very good !

I'm very eager to receive your reply about this !
Regards
Minh
JJ
VSO Moderators

Re: ConvertXtoHD : the maximum number of inserted videos ?

Post by JJ »

That should be depending on output.
DVD can have maximum 99 tracks, each track 99 chapters, that is limited by two-digit counter.
BR has 5 digits so most likely you can't put too many.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
Maggie
VSO Team Member

Post by Maggie »

Hi Minh,

Let me ask this to Jacques on Monday!
I'll go back to you.

Have a good weekend guys,
Maggie,
VSO Support
minhcute

Post by minhcute »

Thank you so much, Maggie and JJ !
Nemesh

Post by Nemesh »

As I create a lot of my own BD's I would say: Take a look at sitcoms as "The Big Bang Theory".
Look how may episodes there are on those BD's and make that also possible in ConvertXtoHD.
I didn't have to use it up until today but I think that moment wil come somewere in the future.
Maggie
VSO Team Member

Post by Maggie »

Hi minhcute,
Sorry for the huge delay!
We've got so busy lately, trying to catch up with everything...
I've got an answer but it is a very complex topic and, basically, it has always been a hot topic for VSO Software team but now we value maximum content for equivalent quality (it's still a balance...).
As soon as Jacques will have a minute, he will pass by and explain it to you in details :p
Maggie,
VSO Support
Nemesh

Post by Nemesh »

I can imagine that this is a issue with homemade video's or from other sources then BD25/BD50 sources.
But when the source is a original BD50 with (let's say 'The Big Bang Theory') and it contains 20 or 24 episodes?
A episode from these series runs for 20-25 minutes and not like other series 40-45 minutes.
Hence, one episode uses less space.
That's the reason that they can put so many episodes on one disc.

When I create a custom subtitles BD50 from these series I use the video, 1 audio- and 1 subtitle track.
So I drop additional audio and subtitle tracks and will always get below the spaced used by the original BD50 without losing quality.
I use in ConvertXtoHD the setting: Try to copy only if the source is a compliant structure.
So the total end result will always be smaller then the original.

You can't put 100GB of video's on a BD50 and expect 100% quality.
No even when you set ConvertXtoHD at maximum quality output.
But isn't this the responsibility of the user/creator of the disc/project?

Many, many year ago I used DVD2One to get a DVD9 to DVD5.
On the old/small TV screens the compression artifacts were not so visible.
But when I switched to a 50 inch flat screen TV and I could upscale the video, these artifacts became very visible.

So I stopped using programs that compress video because I will lose quality.
I can't even imagine someone would do that with their precious homemade video's.

But the question remains: How many video's on a BD25/BD50?
I would say somewere between 25 and 30 video's for a BD50 and half that amount for a BD25.
Then it's also possible to make custom BD's from series like the Big Bang Theory.
Jacques (VSO)
VSO Team Member

Post by Jacques (VSO) »

First of all, there is a limit for the number of video : 99
It comes from the DVD specification that support only 99 distinct video title.

Blu-Ray specs don't have this hard limitation, however many Blu-ray players have only 2 digits to display the title number, and from our tests a long time ago we have found that having more than 99 distinct video may have side effects on different blu-ray players. So we took the decision to keep that same limit of 99 titles.

What's really important is not the number of video, but the total duration of all the video.

So to achieve a good video quality, the total duration must be reasonable - let's say under 10 hours for a BD-50.

ConvertXtoHD will always try to reserve the biggest space possible for the video. How ? We substract from the total disc size the space taken by the audio tracks, subtitle tracks, muxing overheat which give us the total size dedicated to the video. Then we divide this by the total duration of all the video, and it'll give us a target for the average video bitrate. Then, we adjust the encoder quality to obtain this target bitrate, but making sure that the effective bitrate will be less or equal than the target, so to make sure we won't produce something that will not fit on the target size (and it took a lot of time and effort to finely trim this). There is still a limit, if one try to encode insane video duration, convertx will refuse to do it if for instance the audio alone will not fit on the target size, or if there is really not enough bitrate left for video.

For short, ConvertXtoHD/DVD will always try to set the video quality to occupy the entire disc, but will make sure that it will not produce something too big, or that will overflow the DVD/Blu-Ray specs for peak/average bitrate. So the result will always be a DVD/Blu-ray smaller or up to the target size, no matter how many video you will try to encode on it. It will just adapt internally for that.

Yet, especially for software encoder, the final average bitrate may differ from the target (always lower) because the video was easier to encode than expected, and also because we are very cautious not to overflow the target size. 2 pass encoding suffer less from this, however it takes 2x the encoding time.
Hardware encoders are usually very accurate for the bitrate (so it very often reach the target size) but less efficient than the software encoder (they need more bitrate to achieve an equivalent quality).

Sorry for being so long and very technical on this, and I hope I have answered correctly.
Jacques.
VSO Software Team Member
minhcute

Post by minhcute »

Jacques, I understand. Thanks you so much !
modmoomita

Post by modmoomita »

There's a bug which often happens to me if I add more than 12 videos to 1 project, it often fails. This error has been going on since version 3.0.0.66 and it's really annoying. I know the original video files don't have any problem since they can be converted to DVDs.
tatema_

Post by tatema_ »

modmoomita

I have the same problem in big proyects too!!! HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recently bought ConvertXtoHD and I want to make a big proyect in a BD-50
Maggie
VSO Team Member

Post by Maggie »

Hello Tatema, Modmoomita,

Please go back to the previous version: http://download.vso-software.fr/archive ... 0.0.64.exe
Our dev team is currently off (Xmas holidays)

Thanks for your patience and .... Happy new year! :D

Cheers
Maggie,
VSO Support
tatema_

Post by tatema_ »

Maggie

OK, thanks, I will try! I hope in the future there will be an update to resolve this issue.

Happy New Year! :D
Maggie
VSO Team Member

Post by Maggie »

Hi guys!

Hope you had a great time with family&friends.

Regarding this issue, I've just run some tests. Nothing went wrong. Could you please screenshot me the error message or be specific about the issue? What is exactly happening and when? Let me know :)

Cheers,
Maggie,
VSO Support
modmoomita

Post by modmoomita »

You need lotsa video types, various frame rates and various resolutions (720p, 1080p, 576p). It always "damn we have a problem" right after title 12.

But sometimes it is okay if I restart my computer and then do the conversion the first thing when the computer is on. This is really frustrating. And please fix the chapter time glitch too. I need to type in chapter times so they must be precise; the slider thing is stupid. Thank you.
modmoomita

Post by modmoomita »

Are the staff still alive? Hope the coronavirus doesn't take them away before their time.

Please com back to fix the damn problem about the number of titles that can be added to the project. It's annoying that I can't add more than 12 titles!!!!
Maggie
VSO Team Member

Post by Maggie »

Please email us at support@vsosoftware.fr
Cheers,
Maggie,
VSO Support