CUDA / multi-core speedup

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

cb28

CUDA / multi-core speedup

Post by cb28 »

Hi all, my first post here.

I'm currently testing ConvertXtoDVD v7 (I'll call it CXD7 hereon to save typing!) on a Core i7-6700K Windows 10 64bit machine with integrated graphics.

With Max Cores set to 8 and h/w acceleration turned on, the machine typically converts a 3GB .avi to DVD format in about 20 minutes.
While converting I can see that CPU utilisation never gets above 60% and the s/w says it's using the software renderer (CPU) and not the Intel GPU. This is understandable as I gather Intel QuickSync is optimised for conversion to H.264 rather than MPEG2 required for DVDs.

So the questions is, how can I speed up conversion?

If I upgraded to an i9-9900K (8 cores/16 Threads) would that really help given that the 4C/8T of the curent i7-6700K aren't even close to saturation?

Would adding an nVidia graphics card help? How good is the CUDA optimisation in CXD7? What sort of speed up, if any, could I expect by adding e.g. a GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5?
What about AMD cards?
wtin

Cuda for ConvertXtoDVD 7

Post by wtin »

I remembered getting a reply from Claire (she no longer works for VSO) that Nvidia CUDA doesn't help with this program.

The ConvertXtoVideo - it helps (when converted to Blu-ray/AVCHD format, for example), but not to a DVD format. She said it's the output file format (that a DVD uses) that the program doesn't support.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Re: CUDA / multi-core speedup

Post by JJ »

Currently it seems that there is no program that can use CUDA when converting to DVD format.
Decoding yes, converting to almost any other format and CUDA can be used. Just not encoding to DVD.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
cb28

Post by cb28 »

Thanks for the replies. That's a shame. I'm still left wondering if more CPU cores would help?
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

More CPU cores helps, but then comes writing speed. All cores would be writing to same file, creating delays.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!