slow to boot / start / load

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

eddie11013

slow to boot / start / load

Post by eddie11013 »

I'm going to assume the issue is at my end, but looking for suggestions / solutions. Being using the current latest version for some time now without issue. v7.0.0.64. Lately I have noticed that upon clicking the desktop 'icon' it can take more than 50 seconds to 'load'. I had always thought it was a little slow, but not this slow. I recently did a reformat of my PC, just because I like to keep things fresh. The issue was happening before and its still happening. I just did a "clean" reinstall of convertX and the issue remains. Couple of days ago I ran my usual "anti" stuff and, as usual, nothing was found.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. The program is working fine, otherwise.
yoyo57

Re: slow to boot / start / load

Post by yoyo57 »

what is your operating system?
VSO Gold Member
eddie11013

Post by eddie11013 »

Windows 10 - latest v1809 - all windows updates
eddie11013

Post by eddie11013 »

As I suspected the problem was at my end. Downloaded a "fresh" copy of v7.0.0.64, uninstalled the old version with 'Revo Uninstalled", installed the 'new' downloaded copy and now the program loads in a reasonable time, about 12 seconds.

Issue seems to be solved.

Thanks for replying.
eddie11013

Post by eddie11013 »

I realize I'm posting to an 'old' issue of mine, but it just seems to keep happening. When I click on the desktop 'icon' it currently takes 35 seconds to 'open'. I tried to run Ccleaner to see if maybe the 'cache' was full, so to empty same. No effect. I have noticed in the past, and it is still the case, that if I reboot my 'desktop' PC that the issue gets resolved for the moment. ConvertXtoDVD will load in 'seven' seconds. But as I use the program, the time to load gets longer and longer to where I have to reboot my PC to get back to a normal load time.

Just hoping there is a solution. Currently running latest v69, Windows 10 version 1906. All updates, run 'anti' scans once a week and using Windows Defender, it runs automatic scans daily. Maybe there is a 'setting' that I need to change in order to get this resolved.

Thanks in advance
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

You seem to have a hard problem to solve.

Windows is reinstalled, you have cleaned registry and caches.
How is your hardware?
Amount of RAM, swap size, hard drive space etc.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
eddie11013

Post by eddie11013 »

Here is a specy, hope this helps to resolve and thanks for replying.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/QLXC ... eWYLSqKHsv
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

Some software installed in your system that should not be needed, might cause problems, might not.
You still have K-lite codec pack, that one is not needed in most cases. Usually modern players can play any codec without extra packs.
You also have BootRacer installed, that one is also not needed anymore as Win10 is about as effective in organizing boot.
Unless you are using Dells cloud services you should disable/unistall DellDataVault, as it is slowing system. Same applies to Dell Support Assist. If you don't use it, disable or uninstall.

If those are not helping then it simply might be that your system starts show age... :(
eddie11013

Post by eddie11013 »

BootRacer, I had just uninstalled yesterday. Usually just use it when I do a major reinstall of system and then uninstall same. Same goes for Dell Assist as I use it to check the Dell site to see if there are any issues after, again a major reinstall of system. I uninstalled it today and the Dell Vault went bye-bye with it. Regarding the K-lite codec pack, I use it because I want to check if a 'video' I have downloaded has subtitles included. Easy to check with it. The default Windows Media player does not show them. I suppose I could find another player and download and install same and see if it would show that a video file has subtitles but this one works. Some video files show in advance that subtitles are included, but many don't. You have to 'play' the file and click to see if subtitles are included. And I want subtitles!

Anyway, I take it that this issue must be exclusive to my PC and not a convertXtoDVD issue. Still its strange that after running the program for a while, I have to reboot my PC in order to get the program to load up in a reasonable time, not 35 seconds.

Thanks for replying
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

Yes, it is odd. Only two reasons for that kind of delay that come to my mind: (applies to any program)

1 - Program has left traces of itself in memory and starting it again needs to clear those first, taking more time than after cold boot.
2 - temp space is filling up and that slows system.

But then; two good programs to use to watch videos:

VLC - works with basically anything, has it's own codecs but is not that pretty.
MPHC - takes a bit more resources but plays about everything and for me has been really good.

Both support all kinds of subtitles, external or internal.
eddie11013

Post by eddie11013 »

Just to be clear, I'm using convertxtodvd to convert video files to burn to a dvd or dvd+rw, not to view files on my PC.
Thanks for replying