Issues with Cutting MKV in Advanced Edit

Free video converter, convert from any format to any format, mkv to avi, m2ts to avi, mp4, h264, mts, wmv, mov, DVD, etc.

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

DallasDave

Issues with Cutting MKV in Advanced Edit

Post by DallasDave »

I've run into an issue I've been unable to resolve and was hoping someone could help me. I'm converting a MKV file to MP4. The video has a tag I'd like to remove in the first 22 seconds. I've gone into Advanced Edit and cut out the first 22 seconds, but when I convert the video, those 22 seconds still appear. I've copied the Log Event from the conversion and confirmed that it should be cutting out the beginning. I have clicked Save and Close in the Advanced Edit window. Is this a limitation of using MKV as I do not see the same behavior if I edit a MP4 file (it works as expected).

╔══> [audio #2 - aac audio, 48000Hz, 5.1 Ch., 576000 bps [English]]
╚═[audio [eng] ac3 main audio 6 Ch. 48000Hz , 448 Kbps]
╔══> [video #1 - h264_opencl video, 720x480, , 16x9, 29.97Fps, 8500Kbps]
╚═[video [eng] mpeg2video 720x480 16:9 yuv420p, 29.97Fps (interlaced), 8500Kbps ]
Cut section 0 from 0:00:00 to 0:00:22
Output file: D:\Users\S1\S1_E16.mp4 (MPEG-4)
Input file: D:\Media\S1_E16.mkv
Video filters used:
- Output pixel format: YUV420P
- DeInterlace filter: VSO
- Upscale filter: Linear (VSO), Downscale filter: Linear (VSO). Fit method: letterbox (Padding: top: 0, bottom: 0, left: 8, right: 8. Cropping: top: 0, bottom: 0, left: 0, right: 0)
wtin

cutting the clip

Post by wtin »

This function has been pretty stable for a while (it was hard crashing a few versions ago).

Here is my workflow.

Import a file.

Click on [Advanced edit]

Click on [video cut] tab (it looks like scissors).

Click on [start]

Click on [play preview] button. Keep the cursor on it - when it gets to the point where you want it to stop, click it again to stop.

You'll be at the spot where you want to chop off the video.

Click [end]

You can do other stops (say, the end of the clip, or whatever), and when you're finished, click on [save and close]

And now you can export / convert this clip.

If you make a mistake, it's easier to create a new one rather than trying to use the roller thingie to move it left and right (unless you have a fast computer that can keep up the display in real time.)

Hope this helps. I can create a video to show you these steps if you wish.
wtin

resize filter for up and down scaling

Post by wtin »

By the way, if you choose [Hermite] filter, you'll get very nice, smooth and very clear output.

Linear is not as good, but it runs faster if you're in a hurry.

This program can be buggy from time to time. Every time something is fixed, a new bug is introduced. Having said that, there is nothing better, easier to use, than this program. I have tried Nero (the newest one) - it is awful. Can't even do the subtitle properly. Premiere Pro? Forget it - don't have time to learn it. Even DVDFab is not as flexible as this program.

The current version is quite stable for me. I convert the files into blu ray for my own use and I love it. The price for the program is good, and they are pretty responsible about fixing bugs (however, the forum has been quite for a few weeks - I hope all is good there). The only thing I can't produce properly is AVCHD that will play on a Samsung blu ray 4 k player - I have to use DVDFab for that. Oh well.
DallasDave

Re: Issues with Cutting MKV in Advanced Edit

Post by DallasDave »

The attached screenshot is what I see in the video cut screen. It just flat out ignores it for a MKV file. I also see the issue if I attempt this pulling directly from a folder that contains a ripped DVD (VIDEO_TS) structure. MP4s have no issues and cut correctly. I think it's a limitation with how it processes MKV/DVDs.

Thanks for the tip with the Hermite filter. I'll give it a try.
Attachments
VSOScreenShot.jpg