PAL to NTSC conversions errors

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

dbminter

PAL to NTSC conversions errors

Post by dbminter »

PAL to NTSC conversions all have the same problem with 7.0.0.80. I tried 3 different PAL DVD's and got the same results.

What happens is the output begins with paused video. When the playback resumes, it is missing the first few seconds of the audio.

I haven't done a PAL to NTSC conversion in a long time, but it did not used to do this on past versions of CXD.

Thanks!
Katia

Re: PAL to NTSC conversions errors

Post by Katia »

Hello David,

What is your output? Disc or iso file?
If it's a disc, do you open it on pc or dvd player? If it's iso file, in which player?

I've just tried to do pal/ntsc conversion, but I don't have problems with output...
VSO Support Team
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

The output is a VIDEO_TS folder, but I first noticed it playing a disc I burned with a VIDEO_TS. Even when VIDEO_TS.IFO is played from hard disk in Media Player Classic Home Cinema, it happens.

Now, I didn't think about this, but all 3 PAL discs I tested input with are somewhat identical. They were all made by the same company and they were 3 different volumes of the same TV series. So, it could be eccentricities to these particular discs alone. How they were authored and not all PAL discs as I had first inferred.

Could be DVDShrink's fault. I used DVDShrink output of the PAL input before loading it in CXD. Let me try again later and isolate some more factors.

I could also put some VIDEO_TS of a source episode on a cloud and see if you're willing to test it on your end. All it needs is 1 minute of input to test it with as 1 minute was all I needed to process to repeat the results.
Katia

Post by Katia »

Yes, source files it would be great.
You can use our platform if you want: https://upload.vso-software.fr/
Username: VSO_users
Password: VSO_users
VSO Support Team
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

I uploaded the first minute of an input file to the requested repository. It didn't matter if I used DVDShrink to isolate the 1 minute of footage or used the VIDEO_TS extracted from the source disc. If I play the contents I uploaded in Media Player Classic Home Cinema, there is no pause the start of output.

Since the input and output are so small, I included my output with the pause at the beginning for analysis, if desired. I uploaded two folders: Input and Output.

Well, I said uploaded, but it's actually uploading now and it's going to take some time even though we're only dealing with like 60 MB x 2 here. Despite the small file size, upload is super slow.

Thanks!
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

File uploads are done. Thanks!
Katia

Post by Katia »

Yes, I see, same problem here with your file. But with my files everything is ok.
I've made a report for Jacques, he will check the issue. I'll let you know when I have his answer.
VSO Support Team
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

It does appear to be a problem with how all 3 of these DVD's were authored as it's present on every episode across all 3 discs.
NicolasBierman

Post by NicolasBierman »

Hi all! I too have encountered the problem described in this discussion. I use VSO Downloader to download videos from YouTube, and I recently had a problem with the download. As soon as I click on the "Download" button, the downloader starts downloading the file, but then interrupts and gives an error. I restarted the program and the computer, but nothing worked. I tried solving the problem by following the advice in this discussion and eventually found a solution. I disabled SSL scanning in the antivirus program settings, and this helped me download the video without errors.
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

I don't think that's the same problem here. Conversion completes, but it has a pause at the beginning. I've encountered this before in the past, actually, now that memory serves me correctly.

I don't have third party AV installed, so I couldn't take that action even if I wanted to try it.
yoyo57

Post by yoyo57 »

Yes the 10 sec pause at beginning is still/ always been there. Wow "DVDShrink" I have not heard of that for a long time, over 15 years ago. Was great at the time
VSO Gold Member
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

Yeah, DVDShrink is ancient, but it still does the job (Except for structurally protected discs.) and still works on Windows after 15 years. I find it useful for "extracting" contents out of a DVD for things like importing into CXD.
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

I can verify it was the way those 3 particular discs were authored that is causing the problem. There were 4 PAL DVD releases of the 1988 Robocop animated series. 3 Volume discs and a complete series of all 12 episodes on one DVD-9. Each of the 3 Volumes has the problem I described, but the 12 episode complete series disc does not exhibit it.