Conversion canceled by user

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

eddie11013

Conversion canceled by user

Post by eddie11013 »

I have had this issue before. Don't know what is causing it. TV episodes. Could be bad downloaded files. Did a conversion of some TV episodes this morning without issue. At first was getting low virtual memory. Increased same from 2048MB to 48,142MB. I do have 32 GB's of memory. Usually don't run anything else on this desktop PC when I am doing a conversion. Latest v78.

log file attached.
ConvertXtoDVD 7_mainlog.20230302.140845.143.log
(32.89 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Never mind - looked back at a previous post about to many subtitles - Even though there were only 'two' subs per episode, that was apparently enough to mess things up. I removed all subs and the operation completed without issue.

That said, I would have liked to have the subs - a little hard of hearing.
dbminter

Re: Conversion canceled by user

Post by dbminter »

I don't know how you'd do this, but I would think there must be software out there that can extract the subtitle track from a container file. Then, you could manually add this .SRT, which I'd guess it would be, file as a user added subtitle track in CXD.
eddie11013

Post by eddie11013 »

Actually I have a write up on that: MKV Subtitle Extractor = MKVExtractGUI-2

Don’t see how that would help. I mean the subtitles work fine when I view the ‘mkv’ files on my desktop PC. If the conversion ‘fails’ with the subtitle tracks ‘within’ the mkv container, I don’t see how the conversion would work with the subtitle track on the ‘outside’ of the mkv file, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for replying
eddie11013

Post by eddie11013 »

? Why do you suppose I keep getting the following message: virtual memory low - paused

Don't understand that. It seems to keep going but it happens all the time with 'these' files.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

One thing that I noticed from that log:

You are converting to NTSC

Code: Select all

Output file: D:\Back Up Movies\Dr Stone - 01\VIDEO_TS\VTS_05_1.VOB (DVD NTSC)
NTSC has 480pixel high screen

Your subtitles are in picture format that has 576pixel high screen

Code: Select all

+--> [subtitle #4 - dvd_subtitle subtitle, 720x576  [English]]
Not sure how CxD7 handles that but there can be a problem. VSO should have answer to this.

Try converting to PAL - does it still fail?
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

[quote=eddie11013 post_id=108798 time=1677871808 user_id=106580]
Actually I have a write up on that: MKV Subtitle Extractor = MKVExtractGUI-2

Don’t see how that would help. I mean the subtitles work fine when I view the ‘mkv’ files on my desktop PC. If the conversion ‘fails’ with the subtitle tracks ‘within’ the mkv container, I don’t see how the conversion would work with the subtitle track on the ‘outside’ of the mkv file, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for replying
[/quote]

I think I see what you mean. And the reason it might work is the subtitles could be incorrectly formatted in the source file itself. Extracting them and adding them into CXD might make compliant output. For instance, I've seen dozens of DVD's where Handbrake causes the resulting container file's audio to be out of sync with video. But, if you make a CXD VIDEO_TS of the source VIDEO_TS from the DVD first, it doesn't do this. So, CXD's "processing" fixes that instance. I thought it might work with SRT's.

Or how using AVIDeMux on inputs that CXD chokes on often times results in container files that CXD won't choke on after AVIDeMux has "processed" them.
eddie11013

Post by eddie11013 »

OK - I understand

For now, I have completed the task. If I run into this issue again, I will give your suggestion a try.

Any thoughts on why I keep getting the 'virtual memory low - paused'. If we assume the 'files' are damaged somehow, doesn't explain why the conversion completes. Unless ConvertXtoDVD is just a 'great' program, which it is. :D

Thanks for reply
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

Whatever CXD is doing at that point when the virtual memory low occurs, it is apparently writing a lot of data to the swapfile. This would depend on the size of the input file and whatever processing is being done. That could, also, be related to what kind of video compression is used on the source file.

How much RAM do you have? You can theoretically get rid of that message by increasing the size of the page file on the Windows partition.
eddie11013

Post by eddie11013 »

Posted on my first post: At first was getting low virtual memory. Increased same from 2048MB to 48,142MB. I do have 32 GB's of memory.
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

Oh, you did. I overlooked that.

Unfortunately, the "laws" of actual RAM versus virtual memory aren't, well, laws. For instance, how can a web browser like Firefox, take up more than 50% of available RAM with just a few tabs open?

You could try changing the defaults of Windows virtual memory so it doesn't control paging size itself. You could set a static size versus a dynamic one, too, and that might prevent such a message.
Katia

Post by Katia »

After a long discussion with Jacques I come to give you an answer! :)

First of all, "virtual memory low" is referred to the virtual memory that ConvertX can use, not the virtual memory of your pc. ConvertXtoDVD is a 32bit program, so it can use only 3 Go of ram (4 Go maximum for 32bit programs, and we leave 1 Go for the operating system).

The problem with conversion should be effectively related to subtitles.
There are several problems here in yours logs.

As JJ have noticed, your subtitles have 720x576 resolution, and the final video would be 720x480p. Subtitles would have to be resized during conversion. It's not very cool from an aesthetic point of view, it can give a not very beautiful result. But it doesn't crash the program.

The other thing - you can see "otf not found", "mjpeg not found" in your log file. Your subtitles have ass format which contains a lot of details on the appearance of subtitles - font, size, animations, etc. ConvertXtoDVD searches necessary elements and if it can't find them you see "not found". In this case ConvertX replace these elements by something other, for example you will have arial font instead of beautiful customized font that subtitles should normally have. It doesn't crash the program neither.

But there are some things that we can't see in logs which can provoke big problems. The most likely version: normally each subtitle is encoded with beginning time-end time, but sometimes in some formats there is only beginning time. In this case ConvertX waits for the end time of the subtitle, doing audio-video analysis on the other side, increasing more and more virtual memory consumption until the crash.
In this case as Dbminter said, extracting subtitles and converting them into srt format would resolve the problem. In SRT files there are always beginning and end times.

Sorry for long read guys
VSO Support Team
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

I wasn't entirely certain extracting the files to SRT and importing that into CXD would work, but it apparently would.