without changing my settings I had a problem

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

robertg_s

without changing my settings I had a problem

Post by robertg_s »

Hi

Has anyone ever experienced where the program has been working and the next time it goes to burn a DVD it wants a dual layer DVD on a file less than 4GB? If so how did you fix it so it would just use normal 4.7 GB DVDs again. I did not change any settings in the program. But I am hoping that I can get some help as dual layer is such a waste of my limited income to have burn all my movies with them.
I put in a request for help with ConvertXtoDVD but being the weekend no one is available to help there.

Thanks
Robert
yoyo57

Re: without changing my settings I had a problem

Post by yoyo57 »

go to:
default settings
encoding
target size
and change size to dvd5 (4300mb)
VSO Gold Member
robertg_s

Post by robertg_s »

Hi

I did clean install the latest version as requested by Anais and that did not work either. I looked at the latest advice here in the forum but my settings already say to DVD5 I have never changed that ever in all the years I have had the software.
On a side note I just tried a different movie and it still the same. One thing I did notice this time around when it comes to the point (since I did not put a blank DVD in at the start) when it is about to burn it says DVD/ Blue Ray burn process which has never been there before. Is there a setting to make make it just DVD?
I have never had a blue-ray burner. I have remembered in the past where I have had to place a dual layer for movie that are encoded that exceeded the 4.7 GB after converting. But now I have never had to change any settings even movies that longer than 2 hours long.

Is there something I am missing? Has the burning software changed or updated itself without me seeing?
yoyo57

Post by yoyo57 »

Until you get this resolved suggest not put blank dvd in until the app askes for it/ about to start the burn proces, that way you may be able to control the media and burn.
And if you have a blank DVD RW disk use this for testing. So will not waste any blanks DVDs

If the clean install did not work, perhaps there is a problem with the DVD Drive, to check for this swop this with another drive from a different PC if you have one
VSO Gold Member
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

Most likely, there's nothing you can do. It's the input file that's the problem. Some files just create exceedingly large VIDEO_TS files. I had a source that was less than a GB and it created a nearly full DVD-5 CXD output once.

Also, the running time of the source file could be a factor. How long is it?
robertg_s

Post by robertg_s »

I have checked the result and it says the total is only 2.8 GB after completion.

I in contact with VSO on this issue as well as I said. Latest idea was to try another burner which I have done with the same result. My next thought I will have to uninstall the software and reinstall it as if it was never on there before.

Also may reach out to Dell as the burner that had been working until the glitch was bought at the same time.
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

So, you got a VIDEO_TS that was only 2 GB in size? Or was that the estimated output size? When you say it wants to burn to a DVD-9, you were writing directly to DVD? You didn't create a VIDEO_TS folder first? Try just creating the VIDEO_TS folder as output and check its size in File Explorer. See if it actually exceeds 4.7 GB or whatever the exact maximum size of a DVD-5 is.
yoyo57

Post by yoyo57 »

I see you also had a related issue 23 July. I do not know the answer but must be related.

"Re: Anyone else have this problem?
Post by robertg_s » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:38 pm
Hi all
I solved my own problem. I just got a new batch of blank DVDs and it worked. Guess I had some that are defective.
Robert"
VSO Gold Member
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

The choice of discs you're using could be a factor. Particularly if one problem in the past was solved by getting other discs. Particularly if you're using CMC Magentics discs. If you're using the Verbatim Life Series (not the DataLife Series), which many people use, then they will be CMC discs. And CMC discs can cause all kinds of issues, including sometimes they appear to work (They will actually die sooner, though.) and then randomly not work.