cutting a movie

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

bertoss

cutting a movie

Post by bertoss »

Hello,

I have a problem with cutting a movie.
When I cut for example the first 30 second and convert the movie to DVD, the DVD starts to play after 30 seconds.
So the first 30 seconds I have a black screen and the movie starts 30 seconds later.
I got the same result when I cut the first 50 or what ever seconds.
I don't often use the cut function, but I can remenber that it always works fine in previous versions.
I have tried several movies (MKV files) but always the same result.
I am using the latest version of ConvertxtoDVD7
Can you please help me.

Gr. Bert
dbminter

Re: cutting a movie

Post by dbminter »

Is the "latest version" 7.0.0.69 or the latest beta version? If it's the former, you might want to try to see if installing the latest beta version helps. If it's the latest beta version, try reversing those directions.
bertoss

Post by bertoss »

Thank you for your replay
I am using version 7.0.0.73 and this version works perfect for me.
The cutting problem is the first problem that I have in this version.
Can you please test it on your computer, and let me know the result.
If you make a second cut after 2 minutes or so, for the rest of the movie,
than you can convert that part in 15 seconds.
I hope you understand what I mean, because my English is not so wel

Gr. Bert
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

I think I understand enough to try what you're getting. I used the latest beta, 7.0.0.73, and loaded a near 90 minute MP4 source file. I then Cut it down to the first 10 minutes only, trimming the rest from the 10 minute mark to the end. I then Cut again the first 2 minutes from the beginning, leaving only 5 minutes. My resulting VIDEO_TS did not have any black video at the beginning. So, I tried again with the same file, more replicating your listed results. I trimmed everything but the first 5 minutes and then trimmed the first 30 seconds from the start. Got the same results: no black video for 30 seconds at the start of the VIDEO_TS.

So, I have to question if it's the input files you're using in this case. And possibly a setting you may have set.

First, the setting. Do you have 2 Pass Encoding enabled? If so, try disabling that. I used to use it like until 5 years ago when I discovered after an update, that setting would cause a 10 seconds of green freeze frame right at the start of the video, with no audio. After 10 seconds, the video and audio would resume as normal, right at the 10 second mark. Disabling 2 Pass Encoding fixed that.

Second, your input files. You may want to try changing the video codec and container format. For instance, I think you said you were inputting MKV. Download a free program called AVIDeMux and use it to create a new MP4 from the MKV and changing the Video field to x264, which is what I use. See if that new output file used as an input helps.
bertoss

Post by bertoss »

Thanks again for your reply,
The 2 pass setting I have always disabled.
I will try to cut a mp4 file and see what happend.
I let you know soon.
bertoss

Post by bertoss »

Hello,
I cut a mp4 file and all works fine.
Then I did cut all the 5 MKV files, with the cut problem and all these 5 files are perfect now.
I have no idea why it works well now.
I didn"t chance a thing.
Maybe it is because the programm is restart now. (I didn´t before)
Thank you very much for your help.

Gr. Bert