Picture freeze

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

Trimphoner

Picture freeze

Post by Trimphoner »

Hello. My first post. Please excuse any naivety! Every time I watch a conversion I've put onto a DVD there is a point where, although the sound continues as normal, the picture freezes for a second or two. Settings I've made in the conversion include ticking the best encoding quality box, boosting volume by 50% and choosing NTSC. Can anyone advise me on how to iron out this niggling problem, please?
JJ
VSO Moderators

Re: Picture freeze

Post by JJ »

Much more detail needed, conversion log, file details etc.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

Just from a cursory evaluation of the information you've supplied, I'd have to hazard a guess that it's a media incompatibility. The discs you're using may have playback issues in the device you're trying to play from. First, I'd see if this is caused by conversion or playback on a device. If you have the option set to create VIDEO_TS on your hard drive in CXD, try playing VIDEO_TS.IFO in a software that supports DVD playback, like Media Player Classic Home Cinema, which is what I use. If the playback issues persist, it's a conversion issue. If they don't, it's a media playback issue.

If it's a media playback issue, try playing the disc on a different DVD player. If the problem persists, it could still be a media playback issue. I'd have to know what type of discs you're writing to and playing back from to know for sure. If the problem goes away, you know it's the other DVD player that doesn't like the discs you're trying to play in it.
Trimphoner

Post by Trimphoner »

Thanks for your replies. Tried playing the disc in the lap-top and, at the exact spot where the picture froze when played in my Sony DVD/ Hard drive recorder and, although the picture doesn't freeze, there is a brief checkerboard effect in the picture, which suggests a glitch at that point. The discs I use are Ritek white-faced DVD-r X 8.
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

Ritek DVD-R discs are known to be problematic in some players. For instance, my PS3 doesn't like them. Although we still can't rule out that the problem is not a conversion issue. Since it happens at exactly the same place each time, it could be a partially unreadable part of the disc or CXD incorrectly converted the file.

About the only way to rule out the disc is to recreate the project in CXD, but use the option to create a VIDEO_TS folder on your hard disk. Then, use some PC software that plays back DVD's, load the VIDEO_TS.IFO file from the VIDEO_TS folder into it, and see if it plays back with the same pause at the same place. If it does, then CXD is at fault. It's not converting right. If it doesn't, then it's most likely a media issue.