Conversion of NTSC DVD to PAL didn't make Menu/Song Selection/Audio Selection

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

kioti

Conversion of NTSC DVD to PAL didn't make Menu/Song Selection/Audio Selection

Post by kioti »

Hi. I have a DVD9 folder that contains a 6.67GB DVD in NTSC format and I wanted to convert it to PAL. The original NTSC gives choices to choose a Song from all the tracks that are on the DVD and also allows to choose Audio (Stereo/5:1/DTS) but when I use CV2DVD7 version 7.0.0.31 to convert the NTSC to PAL (DVD9) the output is perfect except there are no Menu choices. Why is that happening?
DTS was converted to AC3 and that's ok by me, I haven't used CV2DVD7 to do conversion of NTSC to PAL for quite some time so I can't recall if I lost the Menu selections in previous conversions, I usually convert video files to DVD (PAL and sometimes NTSC) and that can take between 2 & 3hours. I am dreading that I may have to use another app to create an .mkv or similar .H264/265 file from the NTSC DVD I have because that can take hours as well :( hee hee...and then use CV2DVD7 to create a DVD from that .mkv......... IF the created .mkv contains the wanted Menu selections :D oh dear me. Any help will be much appreciated. TIA
dbminter

Re: Conversion of NTSC DVD to PAL didn't make Menu/Song Selection/Audio Selection

Post by dbminter »

I am guessing your source VIDEO_TS for this 6.x GB DVD is an original NTSC disc? Meaning, it's the disc as released with menus, etc.? CXD, when converting Titles from NTSC to PAL or the other way around, does not preserve the original menus on a disc. In fact, CXD, doesn't preserve the original menus on a disc even when you don't convert from one video system to another.

Also, it shouldn't normally take 2 to 3 hours for CXD to convert from one video standard to another. I make PAL to NTSC conversions from time to time because they release something in R2 that they don't in R1. And, I've had nearly fully DVD-9's that take less than an hour to convert from PAL to NTSC. Of course, maybe you have older/slower hardware.
Coral
VSO Moderators

Re: Conversion of NTSC DVD to PAL didn't make Menu/Song Selection/Audio Selection

Post by Coral »

Perhaps the best option is to buy a multi region DVD player. They don't cost so much now a days. Then you'll be sure of a perfect playback.
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

If he's playing NTSC on a PAL TV, I don't think there will be a problem as I believe, though I don't know since I'm on NTSC, that PAL TV's playback NTSC. If it's the other way around, PAL on NTSC, then he'll need a TV that supports PAL, too, in addition to a no region DVD player. Or, just make a copy of the disc as copies are region free.
Coral
VSO Moderators

Post by Coral »

I am in on PAL system. Obviously with a PAL TV.
With my region free DVD player, I have no problems playing NTSC.
I'm not so sure if the TV system is NTSC with PAL playback.
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

From experience, I know that PAL doesn't playback properly on NTSC TV. You get black and white and a wavy video. Sort of like those days in the late 80's and early 90's on American cable, for those who know what I'm talking about, where they'd scramble the pay TV stations.

In fact, one of the things that first drew me to CXD back with Version 2.x was its ability to convert PAL to NTSC. I had some PAL DVD's I needed converted to NTSC and Googled what would do the trick; it returned CXD, I gave it a try, and I've been using it for like over a decade.

I get the occasional PAL R2 DVD that needs converting to NTSC. You lose the original source disc menus, but it suits my needs.
kioti

Post by kioti »

dbminter wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:27 pm I am guessing your source VIDEO_TS for this 6.x GB DVD is an original NTSC disc? Meaning, it's the disc as released with menus, etc.? CXD, when converting Titles from NTSC to PAL or the other way around, does not preserve the original menus on a disc. In fact, CXD, doesn't preserve the original menus on a disc even when you don't convert from one video system to another.

Also, it shouldn't normally take 2 to 3 hours for CXD to convert from one video standard to another. I make PAL to NTSC conversions from time to time because they release something in R2 that they don't in R1. And, I've had nearly fully DVD-9's that take less than an hour to convert from PAL to NTSC. Of course, maybe you have older/slower hardware.
dbminter. Hi and thanks. Firstly I will say that which I didn't in my post: the conversion from NTSC to PAL didn't take 2 to 3 hours, it took 15-20 minutes. I am running AMD Ryzen 5 2400G +Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics,16GB GSkill FlareX 3200MHz DDR4, Asus Prime B450M-A Mobo,
1TB Intel SSD 660p NVMe M.2 + Samsung 860 EVO SSD 512GB, 6x4TB External HDD's AMD Sapphire Nitro RX580 8GB DDR5, Corsair HX 750 80+ Platinum Modular PSU, Win10 Pro x64 v 2004 Build 19041.508.
When I make DVD;s from .h264 vid files the process can take 2-3, sometimes 4 hours to complete, depending on how many movies I am compiling onto a DVD5 or DVD9 and if i use Dual pass. It varies.
Now to finish off, it is a shame that CXD7 didn't copy ALL of the data contained in the Original DVD's VTS_01_0.IFO because that is where all the information a DVD player needs to know about a DVD so that the user can navigate and play everything properly. A VTS_01_0.IFO was created in the PAL VIDEO_TS folder but it did not contain any of the 21 Chapter entries that are in the Original NTSC VTS_01_0.IFO. Why that is, I can only wonder.
Cheers (y)
added. I have the original DVD 9 of the Music concert and I was working from an .ISO I created from it 4-5 year ago. All optical discs I have purchased have been backed up as ISO and saved to HDD here and in the Cloud at MediaFire.
kioti

Post by kioti »

dbminter wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:39 pm If he's playing NTSC on a PAL TV, I don't think there will be a problem as I believe, though I don't know since I'm on NTSC, that PAL TV's playback NTSC. If it's the other way around, PAL on NTSC, then he'll need a TV that supports PAL, too, in addition to a no region DVD player. Or, just make a copy of the disc as copies are region free.
dbminter
hi again. yep I can make a region free copy of the DVD which will suit the woman friend to whom I am going to send it as she lives in Bandung, West Java, Indonesia, Region 3 and the reason I want to make the PAL version of the DVD is that her TV is only compatible to PAL system and will only entertain PAL or .MKV formats. I think she will be happy with the menu-less PAL DVD.
Cheers.
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

Since you seem to imply the DVD you're trying to convert is some kind of music DVD, it may be in Audio DVD format. Audio DVD contains its music in the menus of a DVD. And CXD doesn't convert the menus when copying over existing DVD's. That may be why you don't get the contents of the DVD you're trying to convert.
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

Oh, if you two pass encoding activated, I can see it taking that long to do processing.