Dvd doesn't play in dvd player

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

drbeckerwood

Dvd doesn't play in dvd player

Post by drbeckerwood »

I used ConvertXToDVD7 to make an NTSC dvd (selected output format confirmed). It created a VIDEO_TS folder which I've burned multiple times: to a Kodak DVD-R and to a Staples DVD-R. I can play it in VLC and I can play it on my Blu-ray player, but not on my Sony DVP-NS50P DVD player. I get a "cannot play this disc" error every time.

I've tried creating dvds with two different MKV sources:
First: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1), 1280x720, Framerate: 23.976216, DTS Audio
Second: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1), 1920x1088, Framerate: 24.000384, DTS Audio

I tested the dvd player with several other dvds, including homemade, and it works flawlessly.

This is a problem because this is a gift I'm making for someone who ONLY has a DVD player, so I want to make sure it works. Please advise.
Coral
VSO Moderators

Re: Dvd doesn't play in dvd player

Post by Coral »

There are cases when the media is not compatible with the player. Start off by trying another media brand.
There are also cases where in time the lazer or its adjustment causes errors. I have experienced both cases.
In your case I don't think it is the movie file or the application.

The best bet, in your case, will be to produce a sample DVD and test it on the player, if it is possible. If you don't want to give away the surprise you can always find an excuse :wink:
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

The problem is probably it's a Sony player. Sony has made a lot of junk since 2002. Around that time, I bought a Sony DVD/VCR combo. I used a Sony DVD-R in a Sony DVD burner that played on my Sony PS2... but NOT on the Sony DVD/VCR combo! :o Said disc was not compatible. Yet, I used everything with a Sony label on it to make it. Ended up returning that DVD/VCR combo. Posted a negative review on Amazon.com where I found many other similar complaints about the DVD side of the unit.

Try one of these DVD's that won't play on your Sony DVD player in another DVD player that someone else has. See if they play. If they do, you know it's your Sony DVD player that is the culprit.
Last edited by dbminter on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drbeckerwood

Post by drbeckerwood »

Like I said, I've tried Kodak DVD-R,, Staples DVD-R, and now Verbatim DVD-R.

Also, I've tested the DVD player with dvd-rs I've previously burned (with old software) using the same brands successfully.
Coral
VSO Moderators

Post by Coral »

Can you try another burning software ?
Also, keep the burning speed low, although some insist that it doesn't matter as long at the rated speed is used.
One other thing which comes to my mind is that the player is not recognising the region. BUT THIS IS JUST A TAUGHT.
bach4816

Post by bach4816 »

I am not going to question where you got the movie file. But most are copy protected via the dvd players firmware. you would need to buy an older dvd player. 2011 or older, I use an old Sharp DV-RW550U combo dvd-vcr player. You can play all the copy protected movies you want, as there was no protection firmware at that time. Hope this hels you and others. P.S. you can get one on Ebay for about $65.
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

That shouldn't come into play here. If he's using a VIDEO_TS as a source, it is either unencrypted or already decrypted, otherwise, it would be useless as an input. He's most likely using a container file. I don't think even newer container files have any kind of DRM on them, and definitely older container types before DRM wouldn't. And DRM would mean the source wouldn't be allowed at all. Not allowed but be unplayable. Unless it was an encrypted VIDEO_TS folder, which I would think CXD should be "smart" enough to detect and not allow to proceed.

However, trying a different DVD player in this case might yield results. As I'm guessing, the problem may be with his Sony DVD player being too picky or having a compatibility issue with the media. That's why I suggested taking one of these discs that doesn't play properly on his Sony DVD player and trying them on someone else's non Sony DVD player. If they play fine on the other DVD player, the problem is with his Sony DVD player. If it doesn't play back properly on the other DVD player, then the problem is either the recordable discs he's using, the burner he's using to burn them with, or the VIDEO_TS source itself, which would be the fault of CXD. However, I believe he said the VIDEO_TS played fine in VLC, which rules out the VIDEO_TS being the problem and therefore CXD.
drbeckerwood

Post by drbeckerwood »

I did some more tests. I tried using different software, different dvd players, different brands of media at different speeds, and different burners. I also found some old video_ts files still on my computer, which I still have the burned dvds for as well.

I think it's the media. Although I was using three different brands, it's all a few years old. I've learned that the media deteriorates relatively quickly, even boxed in a cool closet, which totally surprised me. At the same time, the lasers in dvd players can get weaker over time. I think the combination of old media and dvd players of different ages was giving me inconsistent results.

I burned new dvds with the old files. The old dvd player would play the old dvds, but not the "identical" new dvds. I tried with two different burners. (Everything worked in my bluray player.)

I appreciate your efforts to help me.