Conversion gets stuck

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

ArthurDent2020

Conversion gets stuck

Post by ArthurDent2020 »

6648E3B8-5704-4C21-B5CC-67835B0F6208.png
Convertxtodvdlog.txt
(72.33 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
ArthurDent2020

Re: Conversion gets stuck

Post by ArthurDent2020 »

burn settings.png
used these settings, but although the conversion completed and the PC shutdown, the Video TS folder was EMPTY....

any thoughts ?
error.txt
(6.95 KiB) Downloaded 459 times
strange thing is, with the selections made in the BURN window, would have thought an ISO file would have been created burn it wasnt ??? which is again why I think the options in the BURN screen are ambiguous
ArthurDent2020

Post by ArthurDent2020 »

In the absence of any replies, I simply kept trying different ideas. Last night I turned off Hardware Optimisation ( does this mean “optimisation” & improves quality ? Or is it simply a different method of conversion as opposed to software ? ) also changed conversion priority to Normal, maybe changing this to normal instead of highest makes a big difference to the success of the conversion ? Still had it on 2 pass, as I am advised this improves the quality. The burning options were ‘ISO image in working folder and Add Iso file destination to drive list, but it created a TS Video folder and NO ISO ?

As a matter of interest I also,looked at Hardware optimisation, although in VSO post it was referred to as Hardware acceleration🤔 according to that post, sometimes the HW Option gives better FPS than the CPU Option....apparently it is necessary to start a conversion at compare the FPS with each setting, would have thought there could be a tool built in to CVXtoDVD which calculates The best option for the user, by running a dummy conversion, which should only take a minute to run & would be a once only action, or it could be ran in the background and Message in the HW window providing the best CPU or HW... :)

So strictly speaking it is optimisation.....the other strange thing is, I chose HW optimisation, to test the FPS, but the conversion showed only 4.7 FPS in the individual title, but said CPU NOT hardware, so I disabled HW optimisation amd it still showed CPU , so no idea how to do a comparison thanks
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

Try disabling the 2 pass conversion and see if that helps. Starting several years ago, I found this option to be extremely buggy after a certain update. The most common result would be the video would have a solid green screen for 60 seconds at the start of the video and then resume the proper audio and video at 61 seconds, effectively replacing the first minute of the footage.
reddwarf4ever

Post by reddwarf4ever »

[quote=dbminter post_id=106316 time=1591040535 user_id=24947]
Try disabling the 2 pass conversion and see if that helps. Starting several years ago, I found this option to be extremely buggy after a certain update. The most common result would be the video would have a solid green screen for 60 seconds at the start of the video and then resume the proper audio and video at 61 seconds, effectively replacing the first minute of the footage.
[/quote]

Strange thing is it actually converted ok the last time, changed priority to Normal, usually use highest....Also does t seem to make any difference to FPS during conversion if I use HW optimisation or not...
Lastly I wonder how much quality loss there is in using single pass instead of 2 pass ???

Would love some answers

1-HW optimisation, shows same FPS during conversion as CPU, have nviida GPU, need convertxtodvd to determine if HW or CPU best.....
2-Does single pass lose a lot of quality as opposed to double pass
3-Burn screen options confusing, tick ISO creation and ISO in file list, but only creates a TS folder ???
4-trimming function definitely seems to cause problems in conversion , needs correcting....maybe ask If https://www.videohelp.com/software/LosslessCut Could allow VSO to use their algorithm in convertxtodvd for a fee.....
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

About the only question I can answer is the 2 pass one.

I never noticed that much of a difference, if any, between the 1 pass and 2 pass output. However, my DVD player is an upscaling PS3, so on a DVD player that doesn't upscale, the difference may be noticeable.
ArthurDent2020

Post by ArthurDent2020 »

Was hoping for a response from someone from VSO :roll:

Checked the converted DVD on my PC ( 36 individual episodes ) all played perfectly using the menu selection, used VLC media player.....burnt to a dual layer DVD and a few of the titles refuse to play, one of them starts then jumps to title 1.....burnt a 2nd DVD with the same results.....wasting DVDs :evil:

Can’t see what’s wrong.....will try a different menu tonight and see if that’s the issue...
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

Could be the DVD's you're using. Those playback issues, since the VIDEO_TS appears to play fine in VLC, sound like disc quality issues. Like maybe CMC manufactured the DVD+R DL. And only Verbatim DataLife Plus MKM media are quality DVD+R DL.
ArthurDent2020

Post by ArthurDent2020 »

Used these disks for years, never an issue..also if it were faulty disks, the errors wouldn’t be exactly the same on two disks, same menu items not working........

UPDATE, time to eat a piece of humble pie, I thought I would try burning to a different disk, chose a many years old rewritable single layer DVD, compressed it from 7.5GB using CloneDVD and it plays perfectly ... :oops: really at a loss to understand it. Now trying Burnaware to another dual layer DVD, fingers crossed :wink:
Last edited by ArthurDent2020 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

If the VIDEO_TS plays fine in VLC, if you get the same menu based errors on different discs you burned, then it could be your DVD player. Have you tried playing one of these burned discs in someone else's DVD player and see if you get the same results? If you get the same results, then given the VIDEO_TS plays fine, so you know it's not the conversion process, and you get the same playback results on different DVD players, then you know it's the discs or the burner used to burn them. Disc processes change all the time. After CMC bought Verbatim, they changed the process of the good DataLife Plus DVD-R and DVD+R so they no longer work on the LG WH16NS60. The firmware hasn't been updated for that drive, so it's not a firmware change that caused it. In fact, only a firmware update for the updated disc manufacturing process will fix that. But, LG can't be bothered.
ArthurDent2020

Post by ArthurDent2020 »

dbminter wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:12 pm If the VIDEO_TS plays fine in VLC, if you get the same menu based errors on different discs you burned, then it could be your DVD player. Have you tried playing one of these burned discs in someone else's DVD player and see if you get the same results? If you get the same results, then given the VIDEO_TS plays fine, so you know it's not the conversion process, and you get the same playback results on different DVD players, then you know it's the discs or the burner used to burn them. Disc processes change all the time. After CMC bought Verbatim, they changed the process of the good DataLife Plus DVD-R and DVD+R so they no longer work on the LG WH16NS60. The firmware hasn't been updated for that drive, so it's not a firmware change that caused it. In fact, only a firmware update for the updated disc manufacturing process will fix that. But, LG can't be bothered.
Hi
Yes, not an easy situation, I assume CXtoDVD worked ok as it played on the PC ok, tried playing the disk on my XBOX same issues, so not the player.....comes down to the burner program or disk.....once burnaware completed, can illuminate software....especially as it played ok in a single layer rewritable DVD.....
ArthurDent2020

Post by ArthurDent2020 »

Really good news, the DVD burnt using BurnAware, was perfect, all titles played correctly. Will not use CloneDVD any more.

Still not 100% sure why the conversion gets stuck sometimes, but using Normal priority instead of highest seems to have helped.

Incidentally I tried the enhanced option VHS tapes enhance, but even after running all night, was only 40% through the first pass and reported 13 hours to go.....maybe my PC is too old for that :oops:

<Feature request > One thing I noticed that could be improved to the MENU, is allow the page numbers to be added to the bottom of the screen, presently there is just forward and back arrows....would be handy to have page number selection along the bottom, optional of course
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

I don't use CloneDVD so I couldn't have told you about its burning ability. I use ImgBurn for my burning needs. I don't even let CXD do the burning. I just use it to create the VIDEO_TS and use ImgBurn to create the DVD. I like to add the source files used by CXD to the DVD so I have them available. With ImgBurn, I can add those files to an ISO job.
ArthurDent2020

Post by ArthurDent2020 »

Sounds interesting what are the source files you refer to ??

Thanks
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

The video containers loaded as titles into CXD. Things like MKV, MP4, etc.
ArthurDent2020

Post by ArthurDent2020 »

dbminter wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:03 pm The video containers loaded as titles into CXD. Things like MKV, MP4, etc.
Oh ok, thought you meant something different

Thanks
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

I like to keep a copy of my source files on the disc I make from CXD's output. In case, for instance, I can't watch a DVD right away. That way, if there is some kind of problem with the conversion I'm not aware of at the time, I can copy the source file from the DVD and see if I can repeat it/fix it. This was particularly an issue with older CXD versions where a conversion would complete, but, a lot of times, the audio would be out of sync with the video. This goes back some ways, though, to CXD 4.x.
ArthurDent2020

Post by ArthurDent2020 »

Always a good dea 8)
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

Yeah, I learned the hard way. Back in the days of CDX 4.x, I'd make a disc, file it away, and then watch it later. Only to discover the conversion didn't work right and I'd already deleted the source file(s). So, I started putting the source files on the disc because, as I also discovered, future versions of CDX were better at handling some of these problematic files than older versions. If I did later come across a bad conversion, it was always possible to copy down the source file from the disc and try a future version, e.g. 5.x, 6.x, etc. to see if the processing improved. So, now, as a matter of habit, I save a copy of the source file(s) to disc with the CDX VIDEO_TS output.
ArthurDent2020

Post by ArthurDent2020 »

:D