Dual layer video length

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

reddwarf4ever

Dual layer video length

Post by reddwarf4ever »

I thought the maximum video length for a Dual layer dvd was 4 Hours, but just added 4 clips and its 4 hours 50 minutes and says best possible quality....is that ok ?

does that mean i will not lose any quality ?
JJ
VSO Moderators

Re: Dual layer video length

Post by JJ »

There is no exact amount on how much can be put on one DVD.
Some movies take much less bits and still produce very good quality while some use huge amount. Total playing time and best quality is still an estimate.
Only one who can say about quality being good is you, check converted result.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
reddwarf4ever

Post by reddwarf4ever »

Thanks
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

The whole 2 hours on DVD-5 and 4 hours on DVD-9 are leftover descriptions from the days of DVD video recorders. Standard video compression would yield 2/4 hours, but you could go for 1/2 hours on a better than VHS quality and get even 4 and 6 hour discs on DVD-5 with far less quality video.

And there's no rhyme or reason to it except in how the source video was encoded. I've seen 30 minute files that take up a whole DVD-5 when CXD makes the VIDEO_TS. And, once, I managed to get 11 hours on a DVD-9! (However, that was a 13 CD audio book that I converted to MP4 and then to DVD so I didn't care about the video quality as the video was just a still image of the cover art.)
reddwarf4ever

Post by reddwarf4ever »

Thanks
So as long as it says “ Current settings give best quality video possible “ I am ok ???

Does that make sense ? Will be 4 1/2 hrs on a dvd 9 orig from a Hi8 camcorder upscaled

Thanks