Conversion problem

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

reddwarf4ever

Conversion problem

Post by reddwarf4ever »

Hello
I am having a lot of success creating projects from TV episodes. However I have just one problem project. It reports highest quality, so the number of episodes is not too high. I leave it converting overnight, but although it reports 4 hours or so, by the morning it says 16 hours and is static, no processing evident. It is on the 2nd pass on the first episode.....so seems to be the 2nd pass where it ‘hangs’ I tried a test conversion with various episodes 1 then 4 which converted perfectly, so don’t believe it’s the menu, font, background music image etc. My next plan is to process it completely, but turning off 2nd pass.....although not sure how this will impact in the final quality.

Any advice please ?
JJ
VSO Moderators

Re: Conversion problem

Post by JJ »

Just use 1pass with best quality. Most likely you will not notice the difference.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

Years ago, I used to use 2 pass encoding, but I stopped doing it then. A bug was introduced into 2 pass encoding that caused the first few seconds of video to be solid green on all projects. I reported it, but tech support said they couldn't recreate it. I could, however, on all projects, and restoring back to the previous version of CXD did not do that. So, long story short, I no longer use 2 pass encoding; hopefully it will work for you, too.
reddwarf4ever

Post by reddwarf4ever »

Hello

Will certainly give that a try......trying to isolate the cause , converted a few episodes with the customised menu, worked perfectly, then tried some different episodes and the timer on one of them, went up,instead of down and the frame rate stuck at 1.0.....the completion time went up from 2 hours to 14 hours with no progress, so abandoned that...

I checked the suspected AVI file and it reported a frame error.....so using Kim cartoons, I captured the episode directly from screen and used this instead of the downloaded file, but the results were the same.....still no closer to solving this.....am now trying converting all 30 files, with a one conversion at a time setting, with a default menu....if that works, then I should be able to assume the files are ok and that it’s something in my custom menu causing the issues.

I have a custom background image, custom font and a music background clip of 30 seconds.....nothing different than I usually use. IF the conversion completes, ai will start the project again, changing one thing in the menu at a time....if it doesn’t convert, then not sure what else to try.....so fingers crossed.....is it likely one of the menu customisations could cause the conversion to hang ??? Anyone else had this issue....

Just strange in that I have just completed converting around 15 TV series with similar menus without any issue, even with 2 pass encoding and at full speed with 4 processes at a time ???
reddwarf4ever

Post by reddwarf4ever »

Hello

Seems it was nothing to do with convertx2dvd, which I am very pleased about. I used http://www.acrok.com/video-converter-ultimate/

To convert the AVI’s to MKV ( latest spec ) the convertx2dvd project converted perfectly, can’t see any noticeable loss....the program isn’t free, but the best & easiest to use I have found so far...

Thanks
dbminter

Post by dbminter »

I use Any Video Converter Free for such instances. Sometimes, a file just doesn't work, but converting it to another format works. AVIDeMux, another free utility, is something else I also use to convert files to another format when ConvertXToDVD chokes on the source file.