Diplay movie in smaller than screen size box on playback

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

dbish

Diplay movie in smaller than screen size box on playback

Post by dbish »

I have a 640x348 movie that I want to burn to DVD. I am afraid when it is shown on my widescreen TV it will be very pixelated.
I am wondering if their is a group of settings that will display the movie centered in an area less than full screen (such as 2/3 of the X and y dimensions). Something analogous to black bars completely around the image.
I am willing to trade smaller image size for better resolution/less pixelation.

Is there a way to do this when I burn the DVD?

I have ConvertXtoDVD7.0.0.52.

Thanks
Dbish
JJ
VSO Moderators

Re: Diplay movie in smaller than screen size box on playback

Post by JJ »

Try first just to convert it.
DVD resolution is low compared to modern TVs so it will be upscaled it either on DVD player or TV itself.
640x348 is ok for DVD, I would leave it and convert with default options.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
dbish

Post by dbish »

I can try it. My initial guess is that it will look like a TV program that is not HD as compared to an HD telecast.
Our TV is not that large (52") but I would have been happy watching a 40" image that was higher resolution.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

Problem is that DVD can not have higher resolution than 720x576PAL. Not much improvement on your original.
If you want FullHD then you need to convert with ConvertXtoHD or ConvertXtoVideo - depending on your system.
If your TV can play mkv from USB then use ConvertXtoVideo and make mkv from your source.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
Ch3vr0n

Post by Ch3vr0n »

JJ wrote:If you want FullHD then you need to convert with ConvertXtoHD or ConvertXtoVideo - depending on your system.
All that will do is increase the video resolution, it will NOT improve video quality itself. If the source is a DVD, then the video quality will remain DVD, regardsless if you change it to BD, 4k or even 8k. The higher you'll go in resolution, the worse it'll look.
VSO NL-BE Freelance Translator

Desktop: Project Phoenix
OS: Win 10 Pro x64 || MB: Asus Maximus VIII Formula || CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k || CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i v2 || RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 A Gaming || Case: CM Cosmos II || Sound: Logitech Z906 || Screen: Asus VG278HR
Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO || Int HDD 1&2: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB || Int HDD 3: Seagate ST2000DM001 || Int HDD 4: Samsung F1 Spinpt. 1TB
Op. Dr. 1: LG BH16NS40 || Op. Dr. 2: LG BH10LS30 || Op. Dr. 3: LG GH20NS10 || Ext HDD 1&2: 2x WD MyBook 2TB || Ext HDD 3: Seagate ST320006