v7 sees DTS audio track as AC3

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

BrimStone

v7 sees DTS audio track as AC3

Post by BrimStone »

I have used v4 for a long time, (didn't like v5 for a few reasons) then v6 came out, and it has the SAME problem as v7, where MANY MKV movies that have a DTS audio track are NOT seen properly, they are seen as AC3. Not ALL that I have but many of them. I also prefer the log file layout of v4 over v7 as well. v7 does convert faster than v4 but it not recognizing MANY movies with a DTS audio track forces me to go back to v4 to do a proper conversion.

Any ideas of how/when/IF this will be corrected?

Thanks.
Coral
VSO Moderators

Re: v7 sees DTS audio track as AC3

Post by Coral »

12th. of never, apperently.
Stick to the version you're happy with. Mind you, there hasn't been any such complaints that I can remember.
VSO is running on emergency light, if you know what I mean.
ira

Post by ira »

Coral wrote:12th. of never, apperently.
Stick to the version you're happy with. Mind you, there hasn't been any such complaints that I can remember.
VSO is running on emergency light, if you know what I mean.
Coral,

I too have mentioned this. I was directed to look closely at specs of the s/w where it says C2DVD does not output DTS ... unfortunately. At least you know there is ANOTHER person who asked about it.
Ira
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

It should leave DTS as it is if settings are correctly if I remember correctly (copy audio). But if you convert audio then this happens.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
ira

Post by ira »

JJ wrote:It should leave DTS as it is if settings are correctly if I remember correctly (copy audio). But if you convert audio then this happens.
Correction: The experience I have is with Blu-ray converter... where the BD title has a DTS track, I include it and do NOT change Convert To AC3 but yet, the DVD that is created has only AC3 audio, not DTS. if you believe there is a setting I need to change, tell me. I believe the same would be true if using C2DVD with the source having DTS. If, with the latest program versions, (never had for me with any versions prior anyway) you have ever gotten DTS as the output audio, tell me what your settings are.

Tnx,
Ira
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

ira wrote:where the BD title has a DTS track, I include it and do NOT change Convert To AC3 but yet, the DVD that is created has only AC3 audio, not DTS.
Was that DTS track DVD compatible? If it was not, then it had to be converted and conversion result is AC3.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
ira

Post by ira »

JJ wrote:
ira wrote:where the BD title has a DTS track, I include it and do NOT change Convert To AC3 but yet, the DVD that is created has only AC3 audio, not DTS.
Was that DTS track DVD compatible? If it was not, then it had to be converted and conversion result is AC3.
All I can tell you is the DTS track appeared inside Blu-ray converter and played. I've NEVER had a BD (with DTS audio) to DVD conversion with Blu-ray converter be anything OTHER than AC3 - sort of happy but would like the choice. So, how can I know if a DTS is compatible beyond?

Also, you are now contradicting a response from a person from VSO. I could probably locate their response for you when they said that VSO s/w does NOT pass DTS. I said having the Check Box that asked if I wanted to convert DTS to AC3 would have one believe there was the intent to NOT CONVERT if NOT checked and just PASS THRU.

So, a) are you a VSO rep, b) have you succeeded at it and c) which program were you using when it worked for you?

Thanks,
Ira
BrimStone

Post by BrimStone »

I do know about the option to check in the program that says "Convert DTS to AC-3 (better compatibility)", I do NOT put a check mark in that box. Also, above that option is another option that says "Convert Audio to format:" and I have that as AUTOMATIC. These options are in ALL ConvertXtoDVD versions from v4 and up (maybe even in earlier versions). With these 2 options set this way. DTS or ANY audio track should stay AS IS from the source. This is true with v4. This is NOT true with v6 and v7. v6 and v7 are VERY similar to each other in many ways, and not seeing a DTS audio track properly is one of the commonalities. Many, NOT all MKV movie files, in v6/v7 will see the DTS audio track as AC-3, this is BEFORE doing a conversion, this is JUST pulling it into the program! This is a very easy problem for me to reproduce and I can/will submit MKV files to admins so they can see this problem as well. For an OLDER version to see DTS properly and NEWER versions will NOT, seems to be a serious program bug or a design flaw, or both! A good analogy of this problem would be if I bought a newer car with a bigger engine, but this newer car is SLOWER than the older car with a smaller engine and I can only drive on side streets, not on the interstate roads. I also emailed tech support about this EXACT problem, below is their response, which is UN-satisfactory:

Hello,

DTS track in source can't be misdetected as AC-3. But that's correct ConvertX often encode them as AC-3.

We do not embed DTS encoder also because it's patent encumbered and **very** expensive. A single license of DTS encoder would multiply by 10 the price of the software so it's not something we can do. So the most we can offer is to copy the DTS track as is if it's compatible with the DVD specs.

Yet DTS format have evolved a lot, and the flavor of DTS that we can find now is often incompatible with the accepted flavor in DVD - which is rather limited.

So most of the time this DTS is re-encoded to AC-3 to be compliant to DVD specs.

Long story short: I'm afraid the DTS encoding on ConvertXtoDVD will not evolve anytime soon. Don't expect any change in that field, even in the next major releases

regards
-------------------------------------

This doesn't really answer/solve the problem. So, you are REMOVING features/abilities in newer versions? Not supporting features in newer versions? WTF??? This response is really not that clear, or maybe the french to english translator jumbled it up. I am really disappointed in tech support AND the newer programs. And from the responses here, I am not the only one.

I have also attached a screen capture example of how v4 and v7 see the EXACT same movie's DTS audio track differently (called Devil's Pass - (original title was The Dyatlov Pass Incident - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1905040/ ))

And I have a LIST of movies this happens to, not just recent movies from the 2000's. These movies are from 1990's and 1980's. So to give me an excuse on why v7 doesn't work with newer movies (but v4 does work?) just doesn't add up. Should I put my hip wader boots on for the NEXT excuse on why this is? :shock:

p.s.

An additional note here about v7, I also emailed support for a manual for v7 since there is NO manual for it. (NO manual for a product??? Who does that???) Since v6 and v7 are similar I looked for a v6 manual, THAT versions manual was last updated in Feb 2016. :cry:

Here is the response from support on WHY there is no manual for v7:

Hello,

New options in Version 7 are mainly in the menu. We are quite overworked therefore we will not update the manual I am afraid.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

VSO Software
Attachments
v4 DTS audio correct.jpg
v7 DTS audio incorrect.jpg
ira

Post by ira »

BrimStone wrote:I do know about the option to check in the program that says "Convert DTS to AC-3 (better compatibility)", I do NOT put a check mark in that box. Also, above that option is another option that says "Convert Audio to format:" and I have that as AUTOMATIC. These options are in ALL ConvertXtoDVD versions from v4 and up (maybe even in earlier versions). With these 2 options set this way. DTS or ANY audio track should stay AS IS from the source. This is true with v4. This is NOT true with v6 and v7. v6 and v7 are VERY similar to each other in many ways, and not seeing a DTS audio track properly is one of the commonalities. Many, NOT all MKV movie files, in v6/v7 will see the DTS audio track as AC-3, this is BEFORE doing a conversion, this is JUST pulling it into the program! This is a very easy problem for me to reproduce and I can/will submit MKV files to admins so they can see this problem as well. For an OLDER version to see DTS properly and NEWER versions will NOT, seems to be a serious program bug or a design flaw, or both! A good analogy of this problem would be if I bought a newer car with a bigger engine, but this newer car is SLOWER than the older car with a smaller engine and I can only drive on side streets, not on the interstate roads. I also emailed tech support about this EXACT problem, below is their response, which is UN-satisfactory:

Hello,

DTS track in source can't be misdetected as AC-3. But that's correct ConvertX often encode them as AC-3.

We do not embed DTS encoder also because it's patent encumbered and **very** expensive. A single license of DTS encoder would multiply by 10 the price of the software so it's not something we can do. So the most we can offer is to copy the DTS track as is if it's compatible with the DVD specs.

Yet DTS format have evolved a lot, and the flavor of DTS that we can find now is often incompatible with the accepted flavor in DVD - which is rather limited.

So most of the time this DTS is re-encoded to AC-3 to be compliant to DVD specs.

Long story short: I'm afraid the DTS encoding on ConvertXtoDVD will not evolve anytime soon. Don't expect any change in that field, even in the next major releases

regards
-------------------------------------

This doesn't really answer/solve the problem. So, you are REMOVING features/abilities in newer versions? Not supporting features in newer versions? WTF??? This response is really not that clear, or maybe the french to english translator jumbled it up. I am really disappointed in tech support AND the newer programs. And from the responses here, I am not the only one.

I have also attached a screen capture example of how v4 and v7 see the EXACT same movie's DTS audio track differently (called Devil's Pass - (original title was The Dyatlov Pass Incident - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1905040/ ))

And I have a LIST of movies this happens to, not just recent movies from the 2000's. These movies are from 1990's and 1980's. So to give me an excuse on why v7 doesn't work with newer movies (but v4 does work?) just doesn't add up. Should I put my hip wader boots on for the NEXT excuse on why this is? :shock:

p.s.

An additional note here about v7, I also emailed support for a manual for v7 since there is NO manual for it. (NO manual for a product??? Who does that???) Since v6 and v7 are similar I looked for a v6 manual, THAT versions manual was last updated in Feb 2016. :cry:

Here is the response from support on WHY there is no manual for v7:

Hello,

New options in Version 7 are mainly in the menu. We are quite overworked therefore we will not update the manual I am afraid.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

VSO Software
Brimstone - I so appreciate the time you took to detail your finding and knowledge of how CX2DVD versions handle or not DTS. I do run the same as you but I use Ver 7 and options are the same in the Blu-ray converter. My only encounter with DTS is when I'm converting a Blu-ray to DVD on the BRconverter. When I do create DVD'd on Cx2DVD most of the time the 6 channel audio of the MKV files I've encountered was AC3 as reported by MediaInfo.

Thanks also to the VSO rep for the company position. I understand the company is running on a skeleton crew so. Still VSO has the best of its kind s/w.

Thanks to you both for explaining,
Ira