Conversion failed

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

eddie11013

Conversion failed

Post by eddie11013 »

Log attached. Using version 59. All previous conversions have worked just fine. Didn't save the last log as it failed after just 15 seconds. Afterwords, converted a different file and it worked just fine.

In the past I have just found a different file and everything worked just fine, but in this case it was/is very hard to find even this file.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Attachments
ConvertXtoDVD 7_mainlog.20180720.213559.613.log
(8.96 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
Coral
VSO Moderators

Re: Conversion failed

Post by Coral »

You should start by uninstalling the software using the 3 clean up options during reinstallation.

I'm using the latest version and have no such problems with any files.
If you are trying to convert a downloaded movie, you should know that sometimes you find the odd one which is crap and will not convert. If you download the same movie from a different site, it doesn't mean that it is not the same crap move.

Occasionally I find a movie that will not convert. Sometimes I manage to convert it by first running it thro a movie converter, converting it to mpg 2 first.
eddie11013

Post by eddie11013 »

Thanks for replying. Any suggestion on best free video converter?
Thanks again.
Coral
VSO Moderators

Post by Coral »

eddie11013 wrote:Thanks for replying. Any suggestion on best free video converter?
Thanks again.
You can convert to other format compression if mpg 2 is not available. Perhaps MP4.
I haven't used a freeware video converter for a very long time. But perhaps you can try:
Freemake
http://www.freemake.com/offline/offline_all/
Or Avidemux
https://filehippo.com/download_avidemux/
BrimStone

Post by BrimStone »

FREE conversion programs will have some limitations and few features.

You can try VSO's uninstall program to remove Convertxtodvd (and other VSO programs), reboot, then manually delete the leftover folders from VSO, then use CCleaner to remove any leftover registry entries, reboot and then install with the latest version of Convertxtodvd.

Here is the link to the program called CleanVSO: http://download2.vso-software.fr/CleanVSO.exe

It also goes without saying (but I'm gonna say it anyway!) to make sure you don't have any virus/malware running on your system that could corrupt memory causing a conversion error. Malwarebytes has several very good FREE programs you can run to see if your are clean of those little nasties!!! :shock:

Also, close ALL programs before doing a conversion, such as any anti-virus/malware program (Windows Defender is crap, ALWAYS disable it), turn off defragging programs, disable screensavers (default power saving options should be ok), and any other programs that can be closed or disabled. You want the conversion program to have MAXIMUM resources and ALL cpu/gpu cycles to do its thing. When you start the conversion, leave it alone.

And looking at your log file, ENABLE "Use 2 pass encoding", ENABLE "Use hardware decoding (if possible)", change your "Encoding options:" from "AUTOMATIC" to "SP (Short Projects)" unless your movie is 160min (or larger then choose the next bigger size), then manually change it to MEDIUM PROJECTS but I would keep your DEFAULT encoding to "SP (Short Projects)", DISABLE "Burn result to disk / as ISO file in working folder" unless you WANT it as an ISO file. I always play my DVD files with WinDVD BEFORE burning to make SURE the conversion was good before burning it. Also, HARD code your VIRTUAL MEMORY size in Win 10. By default, ALL versions of windows constantly adjust the virtual memory size, which increases disk activity and can cause other issues. That setting will depend on how much REAL system memory you have. Go into the virtual memory setting, see what Windows thinks is the optimum setting and hard code it for a number as close as possible to that, by a multiple of 1024. For example: if it suggests you should set it to 11,563, then you should go with 11,264. Which is 11 times 1,024.

There are other options in Converxtodvd to allow you to use ALL your cpu/gpu cores, max those out.

Hope some of this helps.