Need Help With Subtitle Quality!

Convert any type of file to DVD and burn to play on any type of DVD player. Create customized menus. Special menu template creator included

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

C9 Dan

Need Help With Subtitle Quality!

Post by C9 Dan »

Is there any way to achieve decent subtitle quality without embedding them into my video? I've tried the default settings, my own settings, and various settings found on the internet to no avail. They all come out choppy, blurry, and just down right bad looking. Are they readable? Yes. But why can I use a terribly outdated program like DVD Flick and add perfectly clear subtitles without embedding? Any suggestions would be great.

On a side note, I love the program. It has worked flawlessly for me when other programs have not, the subtitles are my only problem.

Version: 7.0.0.36
Coral
VSO Moderators

Re: Need Help With Subtitle Quality!

Post by Coral »

There isn't much you can do as regards quality in subtitles.
The problem is that it is not possible to get decent antialising. It is a limiting factor on DVD specifications.
Perhaps you can find a font that will appear better.
C9 Dan

Post by C9 Dan »

Coral wrote:The problem is that it is not possible to get decent antialising. It is a limiting factor on DVD specifications.
I'm not very savvy when it comes to this stuff, but I don't understand why I was able to get crystal clear subtitles using a 2009 version of DVD Flick using the same movie files, subtitle files, DVDs, TV, etc. Where is the problem coming from? Why is it a "limiting factor" now on this newer and much nicer program?
deadlyshadow
VSO Fanatic

Post by deadlyshadow »

Hi

Subtitle Quality was good in version 4 and 5, but now it's not like before
C9 Dan

Post by C9 Dan »

deadlyshadow wrote:Hi

Subtitle Quality was good in version 4 and 5, but now it's not like before
Well, okay?
C9 Dan

Post by C9 Dan »

Still nothing. I've been embedding them because the wife likes the subtitles anyways but I would rather have the option to turn them on and off.
bertoss

Post by bertoss »

I have the same problem.
With Arial rounded the subs looks not so bad, but still not very good.