BUG?: First five seconds of video are cut out. Possible bug in version 3.0.0.70?

Convert to HD, convert Blu-ray , blu-ray menu, Burn bluray disks, create blu-ray disk, create AVCHD, Create custom blu-ray disk with menu

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

Shokara

BUG?: First five seconds of video are cut out. Possible bug in version 3.0.0.70?

Post by Shokara »

Almost every time I download a video from YouTube or from other sources online, and I add the file to convert it to Blu-ray disc, whether it's in ConvertXtoHD's video preview feature or in the final converted .mt2s Blu-ray files, the first five seconds of the added video file are cut out, making the added video start five seconds late.

When I play the converted .m2ts file on one of my PC's video player software, such as MPC-HC, the first five seconds of the video are frozen with a green filter covering the image before it starts playing normally five seconds later. It's almost as though the first five seconds of the video were somehow corrupted. Is that possible?

The files in question are in .mp4 format. It doesn't always happen with every file, but it does happen with most files these days. I typically use RealDownloader from RealPlay/RealTimes to download video files from YouTube, and it automatically converts them to .mp4 format. However, this problem is also happening with .mp4 files that I didn't download and convert with RealDownloader. It's also happening with files that I downloaded using torrent apps years ago and previously had no playback issues on ConvertXtoHD.

Like I said, this didn't used to happen before, and I wonder if this is a bug that was introduced in one of the latest updates?

The graphics card I use is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970.

It also doesn't seem to do this with .mkv files, whether they are downloaded from the internet or converted from DVD and/or Blu-ray rips.
Coral
VSO Moderators

Re: BUG?: First five seconds of video are cut out. Possible bug in version 3.0.0.70?

Post by Coral »

It happend to me also although not with all movies. I'll have to check.
Nemesh

Re: BUG?: First five seconds of video are cut out. Possible bug in version 3.0.0.70?

Post by Nemesh »

Most likely the video starts with a I-Frame and not with a P-Frame.
Happened to me in the past to and according to Felicia that was the problem.

Don't know if it can be fixed.
Coral
VSO Moderators

Post by Coral »

Nemesh wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:19 pm Most likely the video starts with a I-Frame and not with a P-Frame.
Happened to me in the past to and according to Felicia that was the problem.

Don't know if it can be fixed.
As I said, this happen to me a long time ago. And if I remember correctly it has been as you said from a key-frame which gave rise to the issue.
BucketofBolts

Post by BucketofBolts »

I have faced this also, particularly with .MP4's vs. .MKV's. Agree with Nemesh's post above that I think it's a frame/keyframe issue. Some videos "begin" and jump (even in preview - this is how I can tell what files it will happen to) anywhere from 5 to 12 seconds.

My fix is to re-encode/transcode the source video file first, then use that "fixed" file. Works perfectly, and starts from the beginning. I use the free "VSDC Video Editor" product and highest output MKV setting. Use this output file instead for your ConvertXtoHD and it will work well. The file generated during the Export process is more compliant or has proper/different frame indicators which ConvertXtoHD responds better to.

Edit: I should also add that I'm running 3.0.0.65 and think I've seen this plenty before that version even, and started my workaround in the paragraph above before this version too, so this is not a "new" bug specific to 3.0.0.70.
Maggie
VSO Team Member

Post by Maggie »

Hi there,

Could only one of you guy send us a problematic file so we could reproduce the bug?
http://www.vso-software.fr/download_pro ... uct=vsorep

Cheers!
Maggie,
VSO Support
Maggie
VSO Team Member

Post by Maggie »

@BucketofBolts

Thank you so much for the workaround! :wink:
Maggie,
VSO Support
Nemesh

Post by Nemesh »

Temporarely solution if you have a NVIDIA graphic card.

1. Goto -> Default Settings -> Encoding
Disable (uncheck) 2 Pass Encoding.
Maximun Simultanous Conversions: 2

2. Goto -> Default Settings -> Hardware Optimizations
Check: Enable/Disable all H264 hardware optimizations (set the slider to ON -> green).

For my GTX 1050 Ti, I set DXVA to 2.
When I set the number of Maximum Conversions higher, ConvertXtoHD gonna use Kronos with a much lower bitrate.
The maximum for my GTX 1050 Ti is 2.
This is only necessary when you create a series disc with more than 2 episodes.
So then always NVIDIA hardware encoding is used.

Forgot to mention that the output is BDMV & Certificate -> Blu-Ray and not MKV.