Advice on making the best conversion with what I have?

Convert to HD, convert Blu-ray , blu-ray menu, Burn bluray disks, create blu-ray disk, create AVCHD, Create custom blu-ray disk with menu

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

Megalomando

Advice on making the best conversion with what I have?

Post by Megalomando »

Hi,

My first post to the HD forum. I would like to make the best choices for converting to MKV, my collection of DVD & Blu-Ray. I have a new computer which offers more hardware that I have had before. It's pretty zippy and I would like to know how to make the best choices in video and encoding settings. Choosing slower settings that give a better result is fine, it'll get done soon enough.

Processor is i7-8700K
Motherboard Asus Prime Z380-A 6 cores 12 threads running at 5,100 MHz
16 GB DDR4 Ram
m.2 PCIe NVMe 512 GB SSD
Two SSD SATA III SSD
Geforce GTX 1050 video card - Has 640 CUDA cores

Under hardware I'm not sure what to choose. An example is here:
http://doctorgary.net/ConvX-HD.jpg

I turned on the hardware optimization but I have no idea how many DXVA2 instances I should run at the same time. I selected 10 but I have no idea what DXVA2 is. What is an appropriate # to enter?

In the online guide is says in resize, that Lanczos gave the best result in the lab. I have this set and the FPS is impressive:
http://doctorgary.net/ConvX-HD-1.jpg

so if there are other settings I might use which will give a better picture and audio? If so, I would like to use them, with this computer slowing the process won't matter.

Lastly, are there options to remove un-needed subtitles? With ConvertXtoDVD this option is obvious.

Thanks! And to the developers, Kudos, you write some wonderful software.
Brainiarc7

Re: Advice on making the best conversion with what I have?

Post by Brainiarc7 »

With your hardware,

If you intend to use NVENC - based acceleration:

1. Enable hardware optimization under the Settings > Output > Hardware Optimizations menu. Flip on the global option 'Enable/Disable all H.264 optimizations, then select the Maximum H/W decoder instances in the same time to 2.

2. On selecting a hardware platform, move NVIDIA NVENC to the very top and set its' number to two. No higher value than that.

3. For all other encoders, manually set their Nb value to 2. This disables them.

Next phase, navigate to the Encoding sub-menu under Output settings and in the window, toggle "Maximum simultaneous conversion" to 2, and leave it that way.

If you intend to use your beefy processor without concern for hardware acceleration (and is the safest way to go should you encounter crashes), then:

1. Disable all hardware optimizations.

2. Under the encoding menu, set the Maximum simultaneous conversion process count to the number of physical cores on your machine. In this case, that is six.

3. Under the Multicore Processor settings, just as in the case of NVENC above, leave this to the total logical processor count on your system. That will be 12 in your case.

Warm regards,

Brainiarc7