CPU Temrature too High

Convert to HD, convert Blu-ray , blu-ray menu, Burn bluray disks, create blu-ray disk, create AVCHD, Create custom blu-ray disk with menu

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

Fump

CPU Temrature too High

Post by Fump »

Hi,

I have no problems konverting a MKV Movie to DVD with cx2dvd - CPU (i7 3770k) temerature ist about 50-55 °C.
As soon as I start a conversion in cx2HD (4 MKV Series to HD with Menue) the temperature rises [b]instantly[/b] to 80°C.
I´ve just got a new liquid CPU cooler wich should be able handle this. I do not overclock the CPU but got intel turbo boost running.
But, with my old cooler I never had problems.
I´m not sure whats wrong.
Have you got an idea?
JJ
VSO Moderators

Re: CPU Temrature too High

Post by JJ »

Very simple. The more CPU is used, more heat it produces.
If you did not have problems with old cooler then check your cooling system, it might have air in it or thermal paste is not properly between cpu and cooling block.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
Copnm

Post by Copnm »

Hello Fump,

It's common for the CPU temperature to shoot up when dealing with video and photo editing. That's one of the CPU's core procedures.

The most common reasons why temperature shoots up that rapidly when using CPU intensive programs are because: either your cooler isn't seated correctly, you applied too much thermal paste, you applied too little thermal paste, the thermal paste wasn't evenly spread, or a combination of what I previously mentioned.

I would recommend to contact someone who has been building PCs for a few years to properly deal with your cooling system. The cooling system is usually the hardest thing to do for amateurs, no offense. Not knowing what to do can actually degrade your CPU's lifespan.

PS: To everyone at VSO, JJ, ckhouston, and other avid VSO forum advocates, sorry for leaving abruptly without saying a word. I've been busy with work and my future career, life, yada yada... Great to see you guys again! :D

Thanks for reading,
Neil M
ALWAYS search the forums and read announcements. They will most likely have the answer(s) you are looking for.
Coral
VSO Moderators

Post by Coral »

As regards thermal paste. Some heatsinks are shipped with a "thermal pad". This is a better solution since there is no messing about with paste and you also get an even spread.
You can also get them from computer shops.