Why Does ConvertXtoHD Reencode?

Convert to HD, convert Blu-ray , blu-ray menu, Burn bluray disks, create blu-ray disk, create AVCHD, Create custom blu-ray disk with menu

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

ron spencer

Why Does ConvertXtoHD Reencode?

Post by ron spencer »

I have rediscovered this program since V2 came out...very nice. But I have Bluray verified encodes from 3 different encoders (MeGUI x264, Adobe Media Encoder and Main Concept). These are all 100% bluray compatible files, including MBAFF for interlaced files. Why does convertxtoHD insist on reencoding these files? Is there a way to do a direct stream copy? If not, this could be a nice feature to have...time saver too. Thanks
SomeoneElse

Re: Why Does ConvertXtoHD Reencode?

Post by SomeoneElse »

Interesting you mention this. I recently suggested that they do exactly what you're saying. If the title is already compatible, use it as is without wasting time encoding! For me the reason this would come in handy is sometimes my discs don't work properly due to some bug they aren't figuring out and if I could just sued the titles it created he first time, in a new project, it would save me the ENTIRE time of encoding if it didn't have to redo what was already done before.

Plus to trick it into giving me the best bitrates I have to put desired disc size at 150gb where it thinks it has plenty of room and sometimes I accidentally do go over what my real disc will hold. I could just redo it with a couple less titles, but I'd have to have it re-encode all of them, whereas it would be nice to just be able to select titles from the previous project and have it use them in their already encoded state!
ron spencer

Post by ron spencer »

It always reencodes...not sure why they don't implement an advanced features where you could specify a direct stream copy. They could even have a pop-up box come up and say "You need to ensure Bluray compatibility on your own" or something to that effect. Compliant files should be left alone. Maybe one day...
Nemesh

Post by Nemesh »

Overhere I have some video-material that is below 50GB.
So it's not necessary that ConvertxToHD to re-encodes this.
What I like to do is create a menu and make a Blu-Ray without re-encoding the video witch is 1080i.
Is it possible to build this option is a future version of ConvertxToHD ?
ron spencer

Post by ron spencer »

maybe at some point the developer will chime in??
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

why would you want to do this, replace the blu-ray original menu?
ron spencer

Post by ron spencer »

Claire wrote:why would you want to do this, replace the blu-ray original menu?
Suppose I have already encoded by assets to be Bluray compatible. I do not want them to be encoded again and have lesser quality. It could also be that the user has a better encoder as well.

ConvertXtoHD could then be the authoring package to ADD the menus! This would be a really nice feature don't you think? Just simply have a radio button to say "Do not encode video assets." ConvertXtoHD would then make the menus and mux everything. Some more advanced users want better control over encoding for bluray compatibility. For example, I had a few months ago posted that ConvertXtoHD would always deinterlace, which is bad. The user must have the choice. In my case I used MBAFF encoding and assets were ready...but the program reencoded everything. Now users have the option NOT to encode interlaced material. So have ConvertXtoHD act as a menu maker and muxer as opposed to reencoder is useful for some who cannot afford Vegas or other programs...quite the selling feature I think :wink:
Coral
VSO Moderators

Post by Coral »

This feature is called Smart Rendering. I remember it being a feature of the Ulead MediaStudio Pro. You had a choice to use Smart Rendering when compatible.
Using Smat Rendering will only render the edited trasitions and effects, thus leaving the movie in it's original compression. And also reducing processing time by a considerable time.
ron spencer

Post by ron spencer »

Coral wrote:This feature is called Smart Rendering. I remember it being a feature of the Ulead MediaStudio Pro. You had a choice to use Smart Rendering when compatible.
Using Smat Rendering will only render the edited trasitions and effects, thus leaving the movie in it's original compression. And also reducing processing time by a considerable time.
Smart rendering was initially for DV sources, and worked nicely. DV was perfect for this because it was a set standard. H264 has sooo many options for everything that a Smart Render may be problematic, as the renderer would need a database what what is valid or not for Bluray. I think simply having a radio button to "use existing assets and not reencode" would be very useful. ConvertX2HD would then create menus and existing assets without touching the assets. Obviously a pop-up saying that the user accepts responsibility for compatibility would be necessary as well.

I think this would put the program over the top, especially since other packages like Vegas and Adobe are quite costly.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

You can do this already in ConvertXtoVideo.

Do you just want menus, or do you to be able edit them like using the menu editor: move items around, change color of text and add background image?
ron spencer

Post by ron spencer »

Claire,

Keep everything the same (editing the menus, etc), just permit the option in Convertx2HD to not encode video assets.

Again, if one already has bluray compatible video assets, why encode them again?

According to your product description for convertx2HD:
Make Blu-ray and AVCHD disks with your videos!
Exceptional HD quality results
Menu creation and editing
Convert 4x faster using your hardware

Convert your videos in HD in just a click - whatever their original format - to watch on any Blu-ray or AVCHD player!

Create AVCHD and Blu-ray folders, disks and ISO images.
Supports all input files: .avi, .mkv, Blu-rays, DVDs, .mts, .mpg, FLV, see more
Burn to any DVD or Blu-ray disks - all formats and sizes supported: DVD +/- R, DVD +/- RW, DVD +/- RW, DVD-5, DVD-9, BD-R, BD-RE, BD-25, BD-50.
and for convertx2video
Convert videos to and from any format: MKV, AVI, DVD, Blu-ray, FLV, MP4 converter, ISO, WMV and more ...
Compatible with any device and includes predefined conversion profiles: Nexus, iPad, Xbox, PS3, Android, iPhone, tablets, smartphones and more ...
Create AVCHD and Blu-ray discs
Create custom profiles with your choice of codecs and resolutions Mpeg2, Mpeg4, H264, Xvid, and up to 1080p, 4k NEW
Many audio outputs available: stereo, multi-channel, AC-3, dts, AAC, Mp2
Complete with a comprehensive editing tool: no need for any other program!
Convert video to mp3 or other audio formats
Burn your conversions to disk (CD, DVD and Blu-ray) with integrated burning engine ,create ISO files or save file to USB

and: Adds a menu for DVD conversions
ConvertX2Video is not listed to make bluray and AVCHD menus one can edit, only DVD.

So again, it would be very useful to have convertx2HD exactly as it is, but with the option to NOT encode the video assets...just mux them
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

you quoted it yourself from ConvertXtoVideo product page, but maybe you don't see it, or maybe written this way it doesn't make sense
but you can convert to Blu-ray and AVCHD with ConvertXtoVideo and you can create a custom profile to convert to this format with remux function and the menus will be created.
Snap4.jpg
Again, if one already has bluray compatible video assets, why encode them again?
Yes of course but adding the option is a little more complex than it appears.
Currently there is a solution in ConvertXtoVideo and we will brainstorm other solutions for you, that is also why I wanted to know if you were personalizing the menu or not, so are you?
ron spencer

Post by ron spencer »

Yes...customize all the way!
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hi all,

OK!!! You won... :roll:

Please take a look there:
http://forums.vso-software.fr/cxtohd-be ... 18951.html

...then give us your feedbacks!

Regards,

PS: I added the same option in ConvertXtoDVD...
ron spencer

Post by ron spencer »

I'm crazy sick now...sigh. I'll try in upcoming days hopefully. Thx for your efforts
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

I forgot to mention, but if Smart copy is enabled, even audio and subtitle tracks will remuxed if they are Blu-ray compliant 8)

Have a nice week-end.

Regards,
ron spencer

Post by ron spencer »

Gave a first try with two video assets. I made a custom menu, and all looked good. But then I thought just test on one video asset for speed. So I deleted the asset and then went into the "Edit Menu" option to change my menu and the program crashed. Attached is the error. One cannot edit the menu if one deletes a video asset it seems. And by delete I mean delete it from the project, not the file itself (obviously).
Attachments
VSO.jpg
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

I tried to reproduce but I couldn't. Can you provide the exact steps to get this error? Including the number of files you use and the name of the menu template?
ron spencer

Post by ron spencer »

Load two video assets into project
Make sure you have the new smart copy enabled
Create menu, customize, etc
Save project
Now delete one video asset from project
Click edit menu, error occurs over and over
Claire
VSO Team Member