What Could Be Wrong?

Convert to HD, convert Blu-ray , blu-ray menu, Burn bluray disks, create blu-ray disk, create AVCHD, Create custom blu-ray disk with menu

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

SomeoneElse

What Could Be Wrong?

Post by SomeoneElse »

Repeatedly, when I burn discs convertxtohd says burned iso file successfully, imgburn says burned to disc successfully, when I put it in the BR player, it recognizes it as a BR, yet when I play it, it never has the disc menu come up and then goes back to the Blu-ray player menu as if it couldn't be played.

With ALL settings the same, I tried it with less content on the disc and it worked. The discs have 46.6 GB of free space. I have been burning them to around 46.1-46.6 on the failed ones. That is why I tried less content to see if it still would fail. Surely the issue could not be burning too much data! The discs are claimed to be 50GB and of course free space is much less, so now I am supposed to have even less than listed free space used too??? And why would it show no errors if this was the problem?

I think if you have errors at the EDGE of the disc it would not affect the disc menu, anyway, so it must be some other issue.

I used "cut" a lot. I bet there is some issue somehow when using that. Because otherwise what could be the issue? And I KNOW merging now has issues in the latest public version. If I merge two files and THEN use cut it won't even let me move through the entire merged title. When I try to drag the cut line past the end of the first part of the title, once it gets to the merged part it won't let me move it anymore.

None of these issues happened in past versions. It seems they did some drastic changes because eve the interface looks different when cutting. It doesn't have a pause button where it used to, for instance, it's only right over the playback window now, so they clearly messed with that feature and now I am having issues.

Also, I sue high quality taiyo yuden discs and normally using space to the end is not an issue with high quality discs. I am tired of wasting discs and many hours just to get failed discs, so figured I would ask if anyone has an idea what is going on. Maybe it's messing u discs with x number of pages to the menu. I am using simple menu.

Other notes:
1. The successful disc I burned in a second instance of convertxtohd. in other words I opened the program twice, so maybe the first instance has some odd issue and the second didn't?
2. The only other oddity was when I opened imgburn it had a second window opened called "hidden window" whereas on the successful time it only opened the main window. But since it said successful and validated the first time, my guess is the problem is in the convertxtohd program.
SomeoneElse

Re: What Could Be Wrong?

Post by SomeoneElse »

edit: I updated to 1.3.0.39 and the issue when moving the slider to cut after merging files has seemed to have been fixed. I don't see it listed in fixes in the version logs, but when I tested it, the slider can move past the merge point properly now, it seems.

I'm not sure whether to attempt burning a similar project to last time again to see if it still ahs issues with a full disc though.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

Burning disc to full is very often the cause for failure due uneven manufacturing process, edges might have much less dye or simple wear out.
That is why you should never attempt to fill disc.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

Is there a particular rules of thumb on how much room to leave? I know on DVDs people used to say 200MB, but if you go by percentages then a BD-50 would need 2GB of free space, and that's just a lot of wasted space.

I know I never had a problem burning to around 45 and 1/2 GB, so maybe I will try to stay in that range, maybe just try to always stay to below 46 which would leave over a half of a GB.

I am still not so sure it's the problem, though, because taiyo yuden is normally known for being very well manufactured discs that avoid a lot of common issues others have and I have burned at least 1 or 2 discs to VERY close to the 46.6 before, successfully.

It very well could indeed be the problem, but it's just surprising if it is.

edit: Actually it just can't be due to size. Because like I mentioned imgburn verified that there were no errors. The issue was obviously with the iso file created by this program. My latest guess is it only happens when there is more than 1 page of the menu. I am using minimal menu. I never had this issue until version 1.3.0.29 so obviously some change happened around that time which caused this. I am trying yet again with 1.3.0.39, but I bet it will be another wasted disc. There's just no way it can be an issue with the disc, due to the verifying showing it burnt properly. The problem HAS to be either with the menus or some bug that happens when cutting or merging a lot of titles.
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

Yep. I proved it now. The issue is when you cut or merge in a lot of titles. (it could maybe happen if you only do it for one title, I don't know, I only tested with doing it to many).

I burned a disc with the same 1 minute title repeated more than 30 times in the project. It burned properly.

I then took that SAME project and clicked on multiple titles to cut out segments. I also merged one file with another and cut in that one as well.

Bingo. The disc didn't work. And it was only 2GB of space used on the disc, so it's nothing to do with disc size. It's ALL to do with this program messing up if you cut and/or merge a lot of titles.

I am going to waste ONE more disc by doing this same test, but without merging. I am ONLY going to cut segments form some titles. This way I will know if the merging itself was what ruined the project or if cutting ruins it.

OR the problem may be if you convert, then use the same project again to convert a second time. maybe that is the issue because each time I had this problem I converted once then the file was too big so I changed the project around. So the problem is either you can't reuse a project for a second conversion or else cutting or merging is the problem,.
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

Posting a new post where it will show as unread, just to be sure staff sees it.

The problem is the cutting. I just did a FRESH project and made cuts in many titles, and the disc did not work, yet again.

All you need to do to repeat my test is add 14 titles (probably any number over a few will work), one by one make cuts in at least 5 or 6 of them. Burn. The disc will not work.

I used 1.3.0.39 Blu-ray 480p 4:3 Lanczos and minimal menu. I doubt any of that matters, though. It's all about cutting. Again, I did 2 tests with NO CUTTING and the discs both worked fine. But EVERY time I made cuts in multiple titles, the disc would not play.

It is NOT about the cutting making those individual TITLES not play. It's the whole process of cutting is doing something screwy to the program itself to have it not make the disc properly somehow.

So now I have to either make discs with no cutting at al or I have to wait until this gets fixed, which who knows how long that will be. :(

Also, the titles with cuts in them DO work when playing in the browser from the folder. The problem is not any of the titles. the problem is that cutting in a lot of titles messes up the entire conversion process somehow. It does not surprise me because I have seen many such weird bugs happen where doing one thing in the program messes up an entirely different area.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

Hello,

Sounds like you have done some good troubleshooting
I will try and reproduce your problem tomorrow.

Can you tell me if cuts alone will create the issue, or do I need to cut merged files?
Does the the cut section, happen over two files, or inside one file that is merged?
Also, the titles with cuts in them DO work when playing in the browser from the folder.
what do you mean? You can play the m2ts file created in vlc with no problem?
Can you play the output fine in PowerDVD. What is your living room player brand/model?

If you do have a log file you could post here that would be helpful, you will find those here
C:\ProgramData\VSO\ConvertXtoHD\1\Log

Thanks,

Claire
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

Claire wrote:Hello,

Sounds like you have done some good troubleshooting
I will try and reproduce your problem tomorrow.

Can you tell me if cuts alone will create the issue, or do I need to cut merged files?
Does the the cut section, happen over two files, or inside one file that is merged?
Also, the titles with cuts in them DO work when playing in the browser from the folder.
what do you mean? You can play the m2ts file created in vlc with no problem?
Can you play the output fine in PowerDVD. What is your living room player brand/model?

If you do have a log file you could post here that would be helpful, you will find those here
C:\ProgramData\VSO\ConvertXtoHD\1\Log

Thanks,

Claire
What I mean is the individual titles will play in VLC if I go to the actual folder created by convertxtohd. Yes, the .m2ts files. SO my point was nothing seems to be wrong with the titles, even if cuts are in them. It's doing something to make the entire disc as a whole not load.

It's not just my Blu-ray player. The discs wouldn't do anything on my computer, either. But the blu-ray player is an Oppo 103d.

The last example I tried was ONLY with cuts. No merged files at all. And it failed to load, as well. It's something about the process of cutting. Also I made cuts at beginning of some titles, the end of others, multiple cuts in the same title sometimes, etc... so it's hard to know if it will ALWAYS have these problems or if it's only when certain segments are cut or a certain number of them. But my personal guess is that the window opening to perform the cuts is somehow doing something odd to the program or project as a whole.

Also, it would be too hard to give a log because the same log would have some that worked and some that didn't without me being sure which is which.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

I can't reproduce a log file would be helpful.

output plays in PowerDVD (output on harddrive, and burnt output on disk)
output plays on living room blu-ray player
Attachments
ConvertXtoHD 1_crashlog_.20151117.134002.545.log
(15.68 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

Eh, I responded to this. Not sure if my post was deleted or what. Basically I just said at some point I may try to convert again, but for now I have no idea which logs go with which projects I did (which worked and which didn't). But I also can't understand how it did not easily get reproduced by you. It fails every time for me if I make cuts in a lot of titles in various places. And it even failed for different types of files.

Did you set it to 480 4:3? Maybe that has something to do with it. I sure hope we get this figured out somehow because being able to cut segments is very handy. And it always worked in the past. I am tempted to try to go back to an older version, but I don't think you have old ones available for this program and I don't even know how old of a version worked for me.

Basically whenever changes were made recently to the cutting section to change the look of it is when it started messing up.
Claire
VSO Team Member

Post by Claire »

I don't think your post got deleted, or I don't see why it would have been.

If you don't know what logs to send to post, if you want you can write to our technical support
https://www.vso-software.fr/support.php
(as for the message just copy a link of this forum thread...)
and I will get all your log files and I can sort through those and at least get some more info on your settings to try to duplicate those exactly and hopefully I will get the same problem.
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

I was hoping others would have had this same problem by now where it would be fixed. :( I almost feel like it's easier to just not use the cut feature than to keep wasting disc after disc testing this. And since I have so many logs to not know which goes with which, I'd have to burn a new project then give you those logs without me even testing myself to be sure whether or not the issue is still happening, otherwise I'd just be wasting yet another disc.

I wonder if you or anyone remembers which version was when the cutting/merging area had its interface changed because whenever that was changed is when this started happening to me. If the devs backed up a copy of each version I could uninstall and go back to that version. I may just forget cutting and merging altogether and stop worrying about it, but it sure is a good feature to have to stop using.

I just don't understand how nobody else is having it happen. I am betting most users are not cutting or merging to begin with.
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

Here we go again...

Every disc I had burned with 2.0.0.48 worked fine, even with merged and cut files. But, now I finally had one mess up. It did the same thing as the past ones did.

When I select the disc from the menu in my BR player it has the "loading" symbol and then the loading symbol goes away and I am taken back to my BR player's main menu. In other words it never plays the disc, it just stops loading. It never even shows the "play" symbol. On the properly working discs, the play symbol shows up when the loading symbol goes away and it then goes to the disc menu.

I changed no settings at all. All the same settings that I used for the properly working discs.

I am wasting a lot of discs from these problems. I have no idea what could cause a disc to just not load when it's the same settings as my other discs. I used almost every bit of the disc, so again I wonder if that could cause it. But it happened in the past with discs that were only using less than 10% of capacity.

I merged two files and may have cut around the merge point. Maybe that was a problem...

Also, I use imgburn and verify and it ALWAYS verifies zero errors, so it's not anything to do with my writer, it's something wrong with convertxtohd, but I am not sure how to figure out what is doing it. Maybe something was wrong with a file. But I don't see how that would affect if the disc itself plays.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

SomeoneElse wrote: I merged two files and may have cut around the merge point. Maybe that was a problem...
That is very likely to be the cause, but it requires VSO to confirm. Any idea how much did you cut around it?
Less than a second? few seconds? more?
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

JJ wrote:
SomeoneElse wrote: I merged two files and may have cut around the merge point. Maybe that was a problem...
That is very likely to be the cause, but it requires VSO to confirm. Any idea how much did you cut around it?
Less than a second? few seconds? more?
Actually, I didn't cut into the point, now that I just checked. On 2 titles I cut up to maybe 10-15 seconds BEFORE the merge, but both sides of the merge itself were uncut for at least that many seconds.

In the past when I was testing what was causing this, I believe I reproduced the issue with no merged files at all, only from a lot of cuts. It's still odd that any of this would affect the disc even playing at all, though. I would have thought it would just cause that title to not play properly, if anything. And I can't keep wasting discs trying to troubleshoot it, so I am just having to keep guessing.
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

This is getting very frustrating. I removed all merged files, I added one back and did NOT cut it, and again I end up with a coaster disc. I am going to have to give up and stop using the cut feature, thus I will have to waste a whole extra disc to fit what was on this disc now onto two discs. I can't keep doing trial and error figuring out the problem. It's 100% related to cutting. That is all I know. But I successfully made other discs with cutting being used, so it must do this when you cut over a certain percentage of the titles or something. I have wasted so much time editing and burning for nothing and will have to now make them with no cuts.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

SomeoneElse wrote: I added one back and did NOT cut it, and again I end up with a coaster disc.
So coaster without cutting?
SomeoneElse wrote: It's 100% related to cutting.
With cutting it always fails, without it it fails sometimes?

Use RW, no need to waste discs.

If nobody can reproduce your problem then it is impossible to fix. (and in most cases, something in your system/setup)
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

I can't think what program you mean by RW. I assume it will be something to read an ISO file on the computer, though, but I'm not so sure that whether or not it can play in a program on the computer will guarantee whether or not it will play on the BR player.

It ALWAYS involve cuts. I was simply saying there were no cuts in the merged title. there were still cuts in many titles that did not have merged files.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

RW - read/write, re-writable disc. Can be used many times.
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

yeah I could do that, but more money to spend to buy them and it will just keep messing u, since it did it twice now and did it numerous times in version 1. I'm not sure why previous discs started working with this same version, yet now suddenly it's messing up again. I also tried the disc in multiple players.