Major Issues

Convert to HD, convert Blu-ray , blu-ray menu, Burn bluray disks, create blu-ray disk, create AVCHD, Create custom blu-ray disk with menu

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

SomeoneElse

Major Issues

Post by SomeoneElse »

I finally burned a Blu-ray and it's unusable. The first time I put it in the player (an oppo 103d, oppo players are known for playing most everything) it kept saying "loading" and would never load it or let me even eject it or do anything. I had to force the player to shut down. Then after that it would keep loading it, but for most titles, when I clicked on them in the menu it would freeze and not play and I again had to force it to shut down. The few times something would play, it would eventually freeze as well, and using the goto feature to go straight to a title would also freeze it, so it was not only the menu doing it.

Also, are blu-ray discs supposed to have the data in rings? In other words, for dvds, if you looked at the bottom of the disc once done burning to them, you'd see the burned area was all the same color and the unused portion of the disc was the original color. Well, on this Blu-ray it has a lot of rings, basically alternating the original disc color with the color of the burned area over and over. I sure have never seen a professional Blu-ray have rings burned into them.

My settings were: Blu-ray, 480p 4:3, Lanczos resizing, BD-50 target size, automatic short project, minimal menu with intros and outros cut out.

I checked the box next to allow 25p, 30p, 50p, and 60p. If that is not checked does it force them all to 60p? I thought framerate could be the issue, but that would not make the disc fail to even load sometimes. I also thought maybe the menu somehow caused a problem, but since it freezes even during playback it could not be that either.

Like I said before, I have spent a lot of money just to be able to make blu-rays and it's problem after problem.

More details: I used a taiyo-yuden BD-50, an LG burner, and I burned at 4x. The max speed for that type of disc in this burner was 8x, I believe, and the mad for the disc was 4x.

The box the writer came in says there could be issues if you use something other than their included software to burn to the disc, so that makes me wonder if this program is doing something odd when burning it.
peter7769

Re: Major Issues

Post by peter7769 »

Firstly I would set convertX to make an ISO file of the created disc, then use imgburn to burn it to a disk.

I never have a problem doing it this way.

Pete.
peter7769

Post by peter7769 »

As for the colour issue on the disc, this doesn't sound right to me, my blu Ray discs look the same as my dvds when burnt.

Pete.
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

I had never burnt a Blu-ray so I wasn't sure, but it sure looks mighty weird. It's like 10 or more rings rather than a solid area. And some rings are thin and some are thick. I wonder what in the world could cause that. The burner is new, the disc is taiyo-yuden, so high quality, etc.

In case I don't find it later, how do you even make it create an ISO? I remember both in this and in xtoDVD there was some setting that I put a check by that's aid burn result as ISO or something, but it never did that. When I look on my computer, it has the folders and files there, not an ISO. Maybe it only does it when some other setting related to burning to disc is unchecked?

Also, this was like 42GB being burned to it, so almost a full disc, and there is NOW AY this many areas of original color could be there and that amount of data be on the disc. So something went wrong, clearly. That is probably why some titles play and some don't. I just bought this burner recently and it has good reviews. Maybe I should try burning with the included software, if nobody can think of a reason for this that can be fixed with this actual software.
peter7769

Post by peter7769 »

Hi
here is a link for how to burn to iso, its a link to convertxtodvd but im sure the menu settings are the same for convertxtohd

http://forums.vso-software.fr/how-to-bu ... 18663.html

and here is Imgburn

http://www.imgburn.com/

Pete
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

Thanks. I will try that. I had imgburn in the past, but removed it for some reason. I hope there is not something wrong with my drive. I just updated the firmware, but am worried I messed that up, too, because it was confusing, saying it was for my model, then in the txt file with the firmware saying only do it on another model and not to use it if the drive is not an authentic LG.... which I assumed it is, but in the drive list it doesn't even say LG, so hopefully I didn't mess up.

Are there any settings in imgburn I need to change, or will it be fine as default?
peter7769

Post by peter7769 »

Let's hope not! Just open the ISO file in imgburn and it will do the rest, just adjust the burn Speed to 4x and make sure the verify button is ticked, and remember don't do anything else on the PC while it's burning!

Let me know how ur goes.

Pete
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

It worked properly this time. Thanks.

There's just no way to be sure what went wrong last time. I did update the firmware on the drive, but I highly doubt old firmware would cause such as weird problem. My guess is something odd was done by this program when burning straight to disc.

Now the disc this time looked like I expected, other than I guess it burns from the outside inward on these, and inside outward on dvds, because the part of the disc which didn't change color is the innermost area.
peter7769

Post by peter7769 »

That's great news, also the benefit of creating an ISO is that you can keep it on the hard drive and burn as many copies as you want.

Pete
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

SomeoneElse wrote:I did update the firmware on the drive, but I highly doubt old firmware would cause such as weird problem.
Well.. if old firmware did not know how to handle that media ID then it can be just that. In most cases weird burns are caused by bad media or old firmware on burner.
Software is only telling burner to burn x amount of data in y format. It does not change it and it can not cause those rings.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

In my opinion, software could cause something that weird. Look at the weird issues people have reported on here, such as the one person who said this program tried to burn a data disc! And in fact when I asked someone else about those rings, they thought I was burning a data disc and said it may be normal when burning data discs. My burner was released only 2 or 3 years ago and was already capable of recording on BD-XL discs, etc... so I doubt it wasn't already capable of properly burning on a BD-50 taiyo yuden. That's not just some off brand. And the code for the discs starts with tdk. (why it does that now, I dunno, on my taiyo yuden dvds it actually has TY in the code).

It's always possible, but I just doubt that something outrageously new was done to those taiyo yuden discs between the time the burner came out and now.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

Google helps:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/dar ... -r.618005/

http://club.myce.com/f34/dvd-burning-rings-help-197831/

http://www.digit.in/forum/hardware-q/15 ... -help.html

All posts are about your problem, and none of them is using VSO products.
Solution in all cases is either new burner or upgrade firmware.
peter7769

Post by peter7769 »

Ok gentleman, let's just be happy it's sorted.

Pete
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

I already "did" search online and everything I was finding only had suggestions and nobody coming back saying it worked, except maybe one person. Again, why would a burner that came out only a few years ago and was capable of burning to 128GB discs when it came out oddly not capable of burning to a known brand 50 GB disc?

If you looked more closely in search results, you would have seen another one that said it can be caused by burning speed changing during the burn, which yes software could cause if for some reason a bug somehow messed with speed.

I said it may be the firmware that fixed it, but it's just not as believable to me as other possibilities. it's definitely not impossible that software can cause problems in the burning process, otherwise why do you think people dislike certain software? In fact, recall I said the box the burner actually came in warned that if you don't burn with their software there can be issues. Why would they say that if it's impossible that other software could cause a problem? This software has caused some mighty weird issues to some. Now with it working seemingly properly, it's awesome software, though. Only thing, as my other topic mentions, is it seems to encode differently, where short project is not always the same result for the same content.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

In fact, recall I said the box the burner actually came in warned that if you don't burn with their software there can be issues.
That is standard disclaimer. Manufacturer guarantees good results only with software and media they have tested or they have deals with. I have seen some burners with same disclaimer and their software was the worst!
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

I noticed my bank discs say version 1.2. So it's possible maybe the burner came out before that version and the firmware did address it. I don't know. I hate to waste a disc trying again, though, and making an ISO file first wastes more time.

Another problem I mentioned in one of these was windows explorer stopping working. I realized what caused that, I think. I think it's when you are looking in a folder in explorer and then the folder is deleted so you are trying to access a folder that no longer exists. Thus, probably not necessarily a bug.

One bug, though, is it always says I need way less space to burn the ISO file than it really needs. It always x space is needed, yet the files are a lot bigger than that number. Very minor, but just mentioning it.