Encoding, Not Filling Discs, Etc...

Convert to HD, convert Blu-ray , blu-ray menu, Burn bluray disks, create blu-ray disk, create AVCHD, Create custom blu-ray disk with menu

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

JJ
VSO Moderators

Re: Encoding, Not Filling Discs, Etc...

Post by JJ »

Update:
I burned AVCHD to BR disc and tried on my Sony player. Just plugging it in gave 16:9 picture BOTH on menu and movie.
I had to check on settings, and on "screen format" I had to use "fixed aspect ratio" to get it to display properly 4:3.
If that setting is different then for some reason Sony thinks that the BR inserted is 16:9 and displays it in 16:9.
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.click2give4free.com/val.php?v=739
This link is just for spammers, don't click!
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

Well the same player shows the same shows in 4:3 on the original discs and discs made with convertxtoDVD. So if they used 10/11 then the player recognizes it just fine. It's something different about it in convertxtoHD. So I don't know what to do, but I can't wait around for a long time for it to be fixed, so I may end up having to use all my tricks of changing the tv mode and the player zoom mode to get it right. Even then it's not QUITE right because uscan then puts tiny black bars at the top and bottom, so it's very slightly underzoomed then. I have to either have the top and bottom slightly cut off or have the picture very slightly smaller. A big hassle and lot of issues that would not happen if the disc would just play properly.
ckhouston
VSO Fanatic

Post by ckhouston »

A typo?
JJ wrote:I noticed in my logs that menu had this:
width=720,height=480,dar=4/3,(part cut),aspect=8/9
but actual movie had this:
width=720,height=480,(part cut),dar=4/3,aspect=10/11
and later
720x480 4:3 should be in 10/11.
which is actually for your movie if I'm understanding right.

The aspect shown in your log is that of the pixels and the relationship is DAR = PAR x RR where PAR is pixel aspect and RR is resolution ratio. So the correct PAR = DAR/RR = (4/3) / (720/480) = 0.888889 = 8/9.

Just a wild guess but there may be something in the IFO files that confuses players, might be something VSO can fix.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

CK; no typo, those are copied from log.

But ; according to this page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_aspect_ratio 480 should be 10/11.
Or is that just for 702x480?
ckhouston
VSO Fanatic

Post by ckhouston »

Each resolution ratio (more commonly called storage aspect as in your link) has a different pixel aspect in order to display at a specific aspect. 10/11 would be the PAR for 704x480 resolution -- 704 is the number of pixels in a line that is discussed as one of the options/standards in your link.
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

Either way, someone from VSO said with the structure for Blu-ray and AVCHD it doesn't matter what that other number is, so that is not the problem in my case.

If indeed they can do something about it, I wish they would, but it doesn't look like they're going to and I can't just keep not burning any discs in case it gets fixed, so I may have to just go through this annoying player and tv setup to get it back to looking 4:3 and then if they do ever fix it, I guess I could decide if it's worth wasting more discs to get it right. I don't think they've checked into anything that could be causing it though, so I don't know much else to do.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

This whole issue might be because of slightly different resolutions in old formats and new players using strict setting of exact 4:3, everything else is displayed 16:9.
In few days I will test this same in PAL resolutions.
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

No, it's not that, because remember I have burned these same shows with convertxtoDVD and it plays in 4:3 flawlessly. It's something that is only happening through this program.

On a side note, convertxtoHD must do something different when determining how much can fit on a disc at a given encoding quality because here is what I have found so far: In xtoDVD I had to set a custom size as high as it would go to trick it into considering short to be the automatic setting, since the real disc size would cause it to only half fill a disc.

Well, in xtoHD even if I use THE REAL disc size, it is keeping it at short when using automatic if I add almost 4 xtoDVD discs worth of content to the project. In xtoDVD I used DL dvds. In xtoHD I am using a DL Blu-ray.

Remember, I did tests and found that when burning only one file on a disc, it was making a file DOUBLE the size that xtoDVD created with the same 480 and short settings.

A DL blu-ray has barely more than 5 times as much space as a DL dvd. So if xtoDVD and xtoHD were making EQUAL sized files, then yes it should fit 4 or more dvds worth of content. HOWEVER, my tests showed that it makes files double the size. Plus I was TRICKING the xtoDVD system.

So to sum that all up, using the REAL size of disc in xtoHD it is saying I can fit what xtoDVD would have claimed would take up 8 discs. AND add in that these files will be double the size, this program is saying 16 discs worth of content would fit on one disc compared with what xtoDVD would claim would fit on a disc.

So either:
1. This system does a better job showing you how much you can safely fit on a disc.
or
2. This is going to make a file bugger than it claims and not work.
or
3. This uses a higher bit rate when putting only one file on a disc than it does when you put many, even if you use short for project length on each of them.

How else could it POSSIBLY fit 4 times as much content as xtoDVD fit on only 5 times as much space, if it is making files double the size? Simple math tells you if the files are double the size and the disc is five times as big, then this should only fit 2 and 1/2 discs worth of those dvds when keeping it at short project. And if the system calculated it the same way as in xtoDVD it would only allow me to put even less than that before saying it needs medium.
cedric
VSO Team Member

Post by cedric »

Hello,

Can you please try with last version I've just published?

I'm waiting for your feedback...

Regards,
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

Yes that seems to have fixed it. Thanks very much.

I am going to assume that would fix it in bluray format also, but I have only tried avchd format so far. I am not sure if there was ever an issue with Blu-ray format, since I didn't test that yet.

By the way, does anyone know some settings that would help use less resources? Because my computer sounded like it was going to blow up, just converting ONE file in 480. Sometimes it's quiet and easily does 480 ones and sometimes it's loud. For 720 and 1080 it's almost always horribly loud. I am worried my computer will stop working with all that racket it's making. My computer has been like that for a long time, where some tasks will cause it to make noise, but this is a level above it. I keep trying to get as much sue as I can out of this computer before it stops working. lol. It's not even old. It's probably messed up due to me having it in the floor where dust xan get all in it.
JJ
VSO Moderators

Post by JJ »

I am worried my computer will stop working with all that racket it's making.
This is caused by cooling fan.
If you have a desktop, simply get better cooling. Stock fans are installed as default, and they can not keep CPU cool under heavy load, they make lot of noise and still do not cool it.
Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835856003 will keep it nice and cool, and noise is almost gone.
Of course you need to check that cooler fits to your CPU socket, and you need someone to install it. Actual installation is simple but requires precision.