Re convertxtodvd to HD

Convert to HD, convert Blu-ray , blu-ray menu, Burn bluray disks, create blu-ray disk, create AVCHD, Create custom blu-ray disk with menu

Moderators: Maggie, ckhouston, JJ, Phil, alexia, Forum admin

reddwarf4ever

Re convertxtodvd to HD

Post by reddwarf4ever »

Hi
Have been using convertxtodvd for some time and very very pleased with quality and the performance.

Considering buying a blue ray burner for my PC.

If I get convertxtoHD, will it have the same functionality as convertxtodvd ?

I want to add several dvd titles to a single bluray disk, I assume it will be no different, just creates a menu with titles for each dvd.

Am I correct ?

If so I will go ahead.....one last question, can convertxtoHD also do DVDs ? Or must both programs be purchased
ckhouston
VSO Fanatic

Re: Re convertxtodvd to HD

Post by ckhouston »

ConvertXtoHD does have the same basic functionality and interface as that of ConvertXtoDVD. ConvertXtoHD only creates HD output formats though. So, although you can burn that HD format to a DVD, you will still need ConvertXtoDVD to create DVD format discs.
reddwarf4ever

Post by reddwarf4ever »

[quote="ckhouston"]ConvertXtoHD does have the same basic functionality and interface as that of ConvertXtoDVD. ConvertXtoHD only creates HD output formats though. So, although you can burn that HD format to a DVD, you will still need ConvertXtoDVD to create DVD format discs.[/quote]

Thanks

So,I an add several dvd movies to one bluray disk....?
ckhouston
VSO Fanatic

Post by ckhouston »

You can add up to 99 titles, but remember that you are converting to HD resolution instead of the much lower DVD resolution, so quality may suffer if you add too much.

FullHD has about 6 times as many pixels to account for and the capacity of a BD disc is a little less than 6 times that of a DVD, so you need to keep project lengths about the same to keep the same quality per pixel. It is best to convert only one movie at a time in both programs for best quality. But you can experiment to see what gives acceptable quality for you, just as you had to do with ConvertXtoDVD.
reddwarf4ever

Post by reddwarf4ever »

ckhouston wrote:You can add up to 99 titles, but remember that you are converting to HD resolution instead of the much lower DVD resolution, so quality may suffer if you add too much.

FullHD has about 6 times as many pixels to account for and the capacity of a BD disc is a little less than 6 times that of a DVD, so you need to keep project lengths about the same to keep the same quality per pixel. It is best to convert only one movie at a time in both programs for best quality. But you can experiment to see what gives acceptable quality for you, just as you had to do with ConvertXtoDVD.
Hi
Maybe I have it wrong, but if I add 3 dual layer dvd titles to a 25 GB blue ray disk, then the quality should be the same as the dual layer dvd's but with three on a single ( blue ray ) disk...

Am I correct ?
ckhouston
VSO Fanatic

Post by ckhouston »

I forgot that you can choose to convert to DVD resolution with ConvertXtoHD, and you probably should anyway when the input is of DVD quality. In that case, you could put 4 or 5 average movies on a BD-50 disc and get about the same viewing quality as with a DVD disc. Only about 2 movies should be put on a BD if you convert to 720p or only 1 if you convert to 1080p when the input is HD resolution files. There will be exceptions to those rules of thumb of course because of the wide variation in characteristics of movies.
reddwarf4ever

Post by reddwarf4ever »

ckhouston wrote:I forgot that you can choose to convert to DVD resolution with ConvertXtoHD, and you probably should anyway when the input is of DVD quality. In that case, you could put 4 or 5 average movies on a BD disc and get about the same viewing quality as with a DVD disc. Only about 2 movies should be put on a BD if you convert to 720p or only 1 if you convert to 1080p when the input is HD resolution files. There will be exceptions to those rules of thumb of course because of the wide variation in characteristics of movies.
Thanks, you have answered all my questions....
ckhouston
VSO Fanatic

Post by ckhouston »

You're welcome.

I should point out that those suggestions above are based on a double layer BD-50 disc, I edited that post to correct it.
reddwarf4ever

Post by reddwarf4ever »

ckhouston wrote:You're welcome.

I should point out that those suggestions above are based on a double layer BD-50 disc, I edited that post to correct it.
Dual layer blue ray still seem to be very expensive, single layer typically only 50p each....
ckhouston
VSO Fanatic

Post by ckhouston »

You will have to try and judge for yourself how many you can put on a BD-25 then. I was trying to be conservative with those rules of thumb because of the wide variation in movies, some movies may require three times as much bitrate to get the same quality as another one due to differences in length and scene complexity.
reddwarf4ever

Post by reddwarf4ever »

Agreed....

Thanks